Protein Shakes??

Options
kimbo625
kimbo625 Posts: 12 Member
Hey, I am trying to decided if I need to start drinking Protein Shakes. I am just trying to trim up and get in shape for bathing suit season. I run 3 miles a day and do a moderate work out during the week. I am a big calorie counter, so I’m just not sure if protein shakes would benefit me. Help! If so….what kind would you suggest?? Thanks!

Replies

• kimbo625
    kimbo625 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hey, I am trying to decided if I need to start drinking Protein Shakes. I am just trying to trim up and get in shape for bathing suit season. I run 3 miles a day and do a moderate work out during the week. I am a big calorie counter, so I’m just not sure if protein shakes would benefit me. Help! If so….what kind would you suggest?? Thanks!
  • Starchaser
    Options
    If you're doing more aerobic than anaerobic i.e cardio than muscular workouts then the protein shakes are probably not the best way forward.

Your diet should provide most of protein and to be honest it's only those who are training rigorously for performance or muscle definition that need them.

Protein is essential for muscle repair and maintenance. But if you're not putting your muscle under strain by lifting weights regularly you should be able to get enough protein from your diet.

I use shakes, one per day, but I train six sessions a week, three of which are 45 minutes of weights.

Short answer: for your workout, no, your diet should give you enough protein. If it doesn't, change your diet. Until you start really hitting the weights you won't see much benefit.

If you simply want more protein, eat more. Fish, eggs, lean steak, turkey, peanut butter, cottage cheese....

The list is almost endless.

If you're running and want to run harder, longer and faster, you might benefit from carbohydrate gels or pre-workout drinks.