desperate for a taste of shirataki!

Options
bnv08
bnv08 Posts: 33 Member
hey all! i really want to try these tofu shirataki noodles, but i dont live near a whole foods or trader joes or an asian market (i know, i need to move lol). does anyone know if they sell them at publix or walmart?

Replies

• schpanks
    schpanks Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I've never seen them anywhere, but I really want to try them, too!
  • SandersWifey
    Options
    I have seen them at Wal-Mart.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    They sell them at my local Kroger... and I live in a small town in the middle of nowhere!

(I tried them once at a friend's house and found them rubbery, nasty, stinky and downright inedible! Whenever I see them at the store, I cringe a little bit! LOL )
  • KasandraKristine
    KasandraKristine Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure where you're from but H-E-B in Texas has them! They are yummy! And you don't feel guilty eating all of the noodles cause it's only 40 calories :)
  • Joobster
    Joobster Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have seen them for order on line...if you are comfortable ordering for the internet. Check low carb sites
  • slbauer63
    slbauer63 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I have never seen them at our Wal*Mart in Ohio but if you have a health food store or a specialty grocery store I would check there. I know where I live we have a specialty grocery store which does sell them. Good luck. Just had them yesterday as Hungry Girlfredo (visit this site for the recipe www.hungrygirl.com) with Canadian Bacon. This tasted just like Fettuccine Carbonara. If you make them right they are quite yummy and filling!
  • UpEarly
    Options
    P.S. - They're not tofu. They're made out of a yam called a konjac.
  • KasandraKristine
    KasandraKristine Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I don't think your friend made them right.... you are supposed to rinse them really well and microwave them for a minute, that helps with the smell and rubbery-ness. Try them again, the right way!
  • rudzud
    rudzud Posts: 24
    Options
    I just bought yam noodles "konnyaku"...you know, the stuff you get with hot pot/shabu shabu. No smell at all, and perfectly fine texture (similar to other asian noodles) for me. I rinsed mine in cold water, no need to microwave or blanch or anything else. Stuff is delicious and at $2 a container (2 servings per container) with 50 cals and 5 net carbs per serving stuff is definately worth it.
  • SummerFun2011
    Options
    I might have to look for these:flowerforyou:
  • shastacrystal
    Options
    Do you have a Raley's, Bel Air or Nob Hill? That is where I found them. :) I have yet to try them though. I am nervous to cook them wrong for some reason. LOL
  • AliciaBeth78
    AliciaBeth78 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    They sell them at Publix... I buy them there all the time! LOVE THEM!
  • daisynsunshine
    Options
    I should have tried Walmart b4 ordering but I got mine at miraclenoodle.com
  • andreacord
    Options
    Hmmm.

I'm not American, but I can tell you that in Canada I found that Safeway carries the Tofu Shirataki Noodles in the section where you can find all the vegetarian products. I'm personally not a fan and I did give them a few chances, but I hope you have better luck. :) Good luck finding them.:flowerforyou:
  • rudzud
    rudzud Posts: 24
    Options
    P.S. - They're not tofu. They're made out of a yam called a konjac.

While not tofu, some skirataki contains tofu to give it better texture.
  • ybodwen
    ybodwen Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I was intrigued and then saw a package of them at whole foods and they looked seriously nasty. like preserved alien brains out of a bad sci fi movie or something. no offense to people who like em :)
  • Commander6666
    Commander6666 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Miraclenoodle.com I swear by them. I am a pasta nut and have not eaten regular pasta in 7 months. Lost 70 lbs. Also Price Chopper has House Foods Shirataki Spagetti. Use any sauce you want.
  • UpEarly
    Options
    I don't think your friend made them right.... you are supposed to rinse them really well and microwave them for a minute, that helps with the smell and rubbery-ness. Try them again, the right way!

Haha... no thanks! I always have the calories and carbs in my daily allowances to eat real pasta. I just tried them because I'll try anything once. :-)

(and for the record - she rinsed, cooked, patted dry and then stir-fried with a teriyaki type sauce - they still tasted creepy to me!)
  • ChrissyWCU
    Options
    I picked up mine at a Wegman's today. I found them in a refridgerated section near the yogurt, packaged lunchmeat, etc. Don't know about the places you mentioned though:)
  • AliciaBeth78
    AliciaBeth78 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    When you try them, you should totally try it with some egg whites, bean sprouts and peanut sauce... it tastes just like a mock pad thai.... super yummy and only 190 cals!!!! (including everything!)