Discouraged...

Options
I'm feeling very down today. The good thing is that I didn't turn to food in my time of upset... But I just feel as though I'm never going to reach my goal. I know things take time, but 97 lbs is a lot to lose. I know that other people have done it, but I just feel down. I don't know what to do to feel better. /=

Replies

• DawnMac85
    DawnMac85 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You didn't turn to food..that is an awesome accomplishment! Try to think of your weight loss in smaller amounts...such as 5 pound or 10 pound increments, that way it may not seem as daunting. Everyone has bad days...tomorrow is a new day and another chance to try again!
    Just remember...you didn't turn to food for comfort....that is AWESOME!!
  • cutenfun2bwith
    Options
    Just remember tomorrow is a new day. It is wonderful you didn't turn to food! One day at a time, one pound at time. You CAN do it!!!
  • LittleMissAngi
    LittleMissAngi Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I have to take it one step at a time. One day at a time. I try my best to plan my food and then my goal is to stick with it. If I can do that each day and only look at the current day, then I will get there.

I was REALLY discouraged earlier and wanted to eat everything!

Feel free to add me if you like! You are not alone!
  • Mummsy
    Mummsy Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    :glasses: Yes. One pound at a time. I have about 135 to lose. It seems daunting at times! Add me if you want. Maybe we can support one another!
  • Rayman233
    Rayman233 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You'll get there. There will be ups and downs in loosing but stick with it. It will happen and you'll love it.. One day at a time!
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    You are here. You have a whole group of people who are here to support you. You have not turned to food for comfort, but rather came to us for help. It sounds like you're doing wonderfully to me :)

"When you feel like giving up, remember why you held on for so long in the first place"
  • CrystalBonner
    CrystalBonner Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Take it ONE pound at a time. You didn't surpass your weight overnight so don't get disappointed when you don't wake up skinny the next morning. It is very hard keeping motivated when you know that you are eating right and working out but you are losing at a safe rate and you manage to keep the weight off. This site is wonderful for support and you did AWESOME by not turning to food for comfort.

When I feel down, I take a walk or put on happy music and dance around the house. Not only am I making myself feel better but I am also burning calories and that's what we want to do. Keep your head up!
  • paeli
    paeli Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Losing a lot of weight is one of those things where you have to focus on the journey rather than the destination (as much as we'lll all be thrilled to be at our goal weight)

I started off with over 100 lbs to lose, and it seemed like a mountain to climb. Just taking one day at a time, one pound at a time, as hard as it is to believe now - the weight will come off if you are diligent.

You're already doing the right thing by being here for support, you can absolutely do this.
  • mcneesbit65
    Options
    I want to lose around 100 pounds and I feel discouraged a lot. It has taken a lot for me to finally get going to start seeing the weight come off. I try to remember that even though we have a lot to lose, in time it WILL come off. Then we'll be looking at ourselves a year from now and relishing in our victory.
  • Cyanidesarah
    Options
    I lost 85 lbs and let me tell you, it took 2 years. It was something that I had to really dedicate myself to. Every day is one day closer. Don't think about the long run or big picture, just take it day to day. One pound lost is one pound closer to goal. And the healthy way to do it is 1-2 lbs a week that way you're far less likely to gain it back. I know its frustrating. I went from 262 to 188 and I'm still trying to lose another 20 but these things take a lot of time. Don't give up. Just tell yourself every day that this is what you want. If you have a day where you fall off the wagon, just get back on. Don't give in and say well, I've already fallen off, time to binge. You can do it. I have faith. :)
  • cgcotten
    Options
    You can do this!! I had 98 lbs to lose in the beginning and now 1 year later I have 26 more go.
    I am 54 years old and you are 22, you will be able to do that in probably less than 1 year. MFP
    gives you the tools and support you need, so got for it!! :)
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    One great piece of wisdom I have received...we always overestimate what we can do in a day, but underestimate what we can do in a year. Take your time and enjoy the process. You'll get there!
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    it does take time, but the time is totally worth it!!
  • karagav
    karagav Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    i know how hard it is when you have a big number in front of you! the trick for me was looking at the weight loss in small chunks, which made me feel so proud when i'd reach my first 5 lbs and then the next!!
    you are on the right track...you're here, aren't you? you just need to think about reframing the way you're looking at the situation....i know, easier said than done...but i have a good feeling you'll do it :)
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    You can do this...

I know you are tired of hearing that...but really this is now. And we work hard for little results to get great big results down the road. Own today (which you did) and own tomorrow. You have all the power to control what you eat and how much you exercise. Try thinking a pound at a time. If you have stalled, remember back to a time that the weight was coming off and you didn't think you were trying.

Combinations of foods do work so review your choices over the past weeks and try to pinpoint the diet and exercise levels you were at when the weight was coming off. Sometimes, plateaus happen for no reason and sometimes water helps.

Remember to target your exercise to something you like so you will want to and look forward to getting that time for yourself.

Have faith...faith has worked for me these past months...and faith will see me through to the end.

Trust yourself...trust your plan...you will get there! I know you can!!!! :flowerforyou:

(I've been singing "I am woman" for the past couple of weeks for terrific motivation)
  • mindymoore1975
    Options
    not sure what your daily schedule is like but if it i possible i find i feel so much better if i do some cardio in the morning and it gives me more energy for the day, plus i can push myself to do more of a workout in the morning than in the evening. it truely will help the hard part is getting it started and getting through the first 2 to 3 weeks, which is where i am at now. i know how much better i would feel if i did it because i did it before, but trying to get the motivation is the tough part for me right now, but i did get to the gym once this week and my goal is for two, then next week 3. good luck
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    I know what it is like to look at that big number and be discouraged. When I started, I had 300 lbs to lose. It starts with 1 lb at a time. I actually started a blog about my journey. One entry in particular might really help you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/iddreams/view/overcoming-the-obesity-mindset-194711
  • zontuin
    zontuin Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Henry Ford said "Nothing is particularly hard if you divide it into small jobs"
    This is a quote that I bring to mind when I feel completely overwhelmed by something I need to accomplish. I try not to look at the whole thing at once... otherwise, I become paralyzed. I break it out into small jobs, small tasks, mini goals, etc. And then I start with the first task. Once done, I pick up the next one, etc. Before I know it, I'm made huge progress! :)
    Take it one pound at a time. One day at a time. Nothing else matters except for this moment in time. It will happen. Just keep at it! I believe in you! :)
  • think of it as an investment in getting to know yourself: your strengths, your weaknesses, your happiness, your sadness. you're going to learn so MUCH!

think of it NOT as a weight loss but instead as a familiarization of everything you!
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    You just started! When I started back in March 2011 I had 123# to lose! I recently change my ticker to reflect how much I have left vs how much I lost..... 35#! Heck of a lot better than 123#.
    Every ounce you lose is a step toward a new life!