Does anyone understand fat burning zone?

Options
I got an HRM for christmas and use it when I'm on my cross trainer etc. I usually do about 45 mins on the cross trainer before starting my strength training workouts. One day it said I was in fat burn for 25 mins of that and the next time it said I was in fat burn for 6 mins? I don't understand how to work out when I'm in fat burning (is it higher resistance?) and how to get there....or if it really matters? I have a polar ft7 HRM. I usually mix my workout up by going up in increments every 2 1/2 mins to as high as I can go and then come back down again. If anyone has an answer for this I'd very grateful :smile:

Replies

• LauRoxx
    LauRoxx Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Basically, your fat burning zone is the Heart rate range where percentage wise you burn the most calories from fat. Don't let that mislead you though, if your heart rate goes higher into a cardio range, you'll burn more calories all together (including fat calories), but a higher percentage of those calories won't be fat, but numerically you'll burn more fat calories.

Random site>>> http://www.thewalkingsite.com/thr.html
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    that whole fat burning zone is like this.

your body during moderate intensity or low intensity (the fat burning zone) gets like 50% or so of its energy from fat stores. while doing high intensity it uses like 25% or so. BUT...you burn more calories during higher intensity.

so its like this..if you are in the 'fat burning zone' for say 30 mins, you may burn off 100 calories.. and 50 of those calories are from fat. but if you are doing high intensity for 30 mins you'd burn say 350 calories, which then 90 calories are from fat.
  • AH2013
    AH2013 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    so its like this..if you are in the 'fat burning zone' for say 30 mins, you may burn off 100 calories.. and 50 of those calories are from fat. but if you are doing high intensity for 30 mins you'd burn say 350 calories, which then 90 calories are from fat.

Ah, I see!!! Thanks for the link to the site, makes it a little clearer to understand....and I may be doing it right after all!