MFP & Fitbit giving me different numbers

...as to how many calories I have remaining. Fitbit always says I can have at least 200 (sometimes up to 400) more calories than MFP. I have both accounts connected and the food between them syncs fine, but why does MFP tell me I have less to eat? :frown:

Before anyone asks, yes, a fitbit adjustment does show up under my cardio on MFP, but still calories remaining aren't the same...

Replies

• estherpab
    estherpab Posts: 59 Member
    I've never heard of fit bit, is it better than a HRM and body bug? I'm confused too all these site, all these calculators they all come up with a different number. Even my tdee number is low on MFP but higher according to the Harris Benedict formula I don't know what to go by :sad:
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    I've never heard of fit bit, is it better than a HRM and body bug? I'm confused too all these site, all these calculators they all come up with a different number. Even my tdee number is low on MFP but higher according to the Harris Benedict formula I don't know what to go by :sad:

Well that depends. I use my HRM for doing actual workouts, and the fitbit to keep track of my daily movement and give me a better idea of daily calorie burn. A bodybugg takes into account heart rate and other stuff and the fitbit doesn't, but for the price and my experience so far, fitbits are great!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Well that depends. I use my HRM for doing actual workouts, and the fitbit to keep track of my daily movement and give me a better idea of daily calorie burn. A bodybugg takes into account heart rate and other stuff and the fitbit doesn't, but for the price and my experience so far, fitbits are great!

Actually, you got the better deal.

Because BodyBugg / BodyMedia does NOT have a HR ability at all, and therefore their estimate of exercise calories is terrible.
    A study even used them and determined that except for walking, it underestimated calorie burn from exercise.

Plus your FitBit website lets you manually enter workout info as you mention. If you wear the other one during the workout - you cannot manually add anything. You'd have to take it off.

Curious though, have you left it on to see what it estimates during different types of workouts?

To your issue - is MFP taking the FitBit daily activity and changing the maintenance calories? Since you get credit for exercise, and you made it sound like it's tagging the difference in calories? Perhaps the math is confused.

I am curious how it presents it's info to MFP, or rather how MFP retrieves it.
    Take a peek at diary - you can kick me out when done!
  • Misiaxcore

Actually, you got the better deal.

Because BodyBugg / BodyMedia does NOT have a HR ability at all, and therefore their estimate of exercise calories is terrible.
    A study even used them and determined that except for walking, it underestimated calorie burn from exercise.

Plus your FitBit website lets you manually enter workout info as you mention. If you wear the other one during the workout - you cannot manually add anything. You'd have to take it off.

Curious though, have you left it on to see what it estimates during different types of workouts?

To your issue - is MFP taking the FitBit daily activity and changing the maintenance calories? Since you get credit for exercise, and you made it sound like it's tagging the difference in calories? Perhaps the math is confused.

I am curious how it presents it's info to MFP, or rather how MFP retrieves it.
    Take a peek at diary - you can kick me out when done!

Hmm, I didn't know that about the BB/BM lol.

And the difference happens even on days I don't work out. I log everything on MFP only. Both accounts are set to lose .5lb a week. The base calories on FB are actually lower than MFP, but when walking is factored in, I can eat at least 200cals more than MFP, even after FB adjustment on here. Doesn't make sense to me.
  • Misiaxcore
    LOL okay. After further inspection, turns out FB is telling me to eat at maintenance (if I add the calories remaining on there to the ones logged, I end up with the same number as calories burned).

I guess now the question is, why does it do that when it's set to lose .5lb? :laugh: But I guess that's for another board :wink:
  • adross3
    adross3 Posts: 606 Member
    Fitbit is specific and MFP is general. MFP does not account for muscle mass. muscle burns calories and fat is just fat.
  • Misiaxcore
    Fitbit is specific and MFP is general. MFP does not account for muscle mass. muscle burns calories and fat is just fat.

Where does it say that fitbit takes into account BF% ?

ETA: Also, fat does burn calories, just not as much as muscle ;)
  • Misiaxcore
    I just wrote this topic that discusses the errors with fitbit.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/458312-fitbit-revolutionary-weight-loss-device

Thanks for the link, but I disagree with your opinion on the device.
  • heybales
    LOL okay. After further inspection, turns out FB is telling me to eat at maintenance (if I add the calories remaining on there to the ones logged, I end up with the same number as calories burned).

I guess now the question is, why does it do that when it's set to lose .5lb? :laugh: But I guess that's for another board :wink:

Off your home page, have you looked at the FAQ regarding the FitBit.

Like entering time of exercise, not entering food /exercise on FitBit anymore, ect.

Seems some things you have to do correctly now. i thought it was just a feed from that site, didn't realize they made it 2-way - very slick.

Anyone want to buy a BodyMedia with 3 straps!
  • Misiaxcore

Off your home page, have you looked at the FAQ regarding the FitBit.

Like entering time of exercise, not entering food /exercise on FitBit anymore, ect.

Seems some things you have to do correctly now. i thought it was just a feed from that site, didn't realize they made it 2-way - very slick.

Anyone want to buy a BodyMedia with 3 straps!

I don't understand what you mean by 2-way.

I already stated I only log things on MFP and input the correct time.
  • heybales

Oh, I thought MFP was only going out to the FB site and pulling in the FB related data to use as exercise.

I didn't know MFP would also push pack out to FB site other workouts you might log and update their database, and push the food info back over.

I imagined if you wanted to still use the FB site for anything, you'd have to do double-entries for a bunch of stuff.
  • Misiaxcore

Oh, I thought MFP was only going out to the FB site and pulling in the FB related data to use as exercise.

I didn't know MFP would also push pack out to FB site other workouts you might log and update their database, and push the food info back over.

I imagined if you wanted to still use the FB site for anything, you'd have to do double-entries for a bunch of stuff.

I only use the FB site to check out the graphs, steps, distance, calories burned, etc. I don't actually log anything there except for sleep tracking :P