I'm getting the vibe that I should just stop eating.

Options
2»

Replies

• Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    So I started into reading everyone elses replies and stopped myself for fear I too would get confused...lol

This is the way I look at it. There are 2 kinds of dieters out there.....those that diet to get skinny......and those that diet to get healthy.

The ones that diet to get skinny pretty much eat lowcal....lowfat....artificial sweeteners..........whatever! They don't necassrily care about nutrition.....they just want to get thin!!! As long as it's low in everything including calories they'll do whatever it takes including starving themselves to get there!!!

Then there's the dieter who wants to lose weight because their health is failing and not only do they have to trim down but they also need to get healthier or rid themselves of the onset of disease. These dieters definitely have a goal of losing weight but in the end they also need to get healthier so what they put in their body counts big time!!!! These are the ones that eat for nutrition....they generally eat all their food groups but from healthy sources.....they care about nutritional values in foods and need to make this a lifestyle change for the sake of livng longer!!

Will both ways get you thinner? Absolutely!!!

What you need to decide is which way is more important to you.
    If your only goal is to fit into that little black dress.....you'll probably pick the first.
    If you care about living a long and healthy life.....my suggestion would be the latter.

Don't let everyone elses choices overwhelm you to exhaustion. Take what information you get from others and if it sounds like good advice or something that interests you.....google it!!! lol
    It's amazing what you can learn from others.......even those with crazy advice!!! lol

Good luck in your journey.....I hope you able to clear your head and choose the path that leads you to your new thinner/healthier you =-)

That's a great answer. I was definitely the 'dieter to get skinny' for many years until I saw the light and decided to do it for health.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Who would think that you could have good cholesterol levels, a good lipid profile, stay in shape, and have a great body by eating good about 85% of the time and then having Mcdonald's, Taco Bell, SPAM, and pizza in moderation and eating this way for 40+ years?
    Apparently not the "health police" here at MFP. Listen and learn from people who do actual peer reviewed research (you'll find out who they are). And most of them have fabulous physiques too!

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    You have to find what works for you and forget about what everyone else is doing! I personally love my chemical laden foods and have no issue losing weight while eating them. Some people lose weight better by eating "clean." For me, I lose weight easier by keeping my carbs at 100 or under. Just find what works for you and run with it! If it stop working, then you might want to look at playing around with something different.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    Who would think that you could have good cholesterol levels, a good lipid profile, stay in shape, and have a great body by eating good about 85% of the time and then having Mcdonald's, Taco Bell, SPAM, and pizza in moderation and eating this way for 40+ years?
    Apparently not the "health police" here at MFP. Listen and learn from people who do actual peer reviewed research (you'll find out who they are). And most of them have fabulous physiques too!

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I may not have what many describe as a fabulous physique (yet), but I did see the light many years ago and eat healthy most of the time. My weight loss speaks for itself in this fact, but I absolutely agree here. Don't listen to the "armchair experts" that watch Dr. Oz and read fitness magazines. The truth comes from true research, and from everything I have learned; all things in moderation. You are better off chosing a healthy lifestyle eating healthy foods, but it won't kill you to grab a burger or a shake from time to time. Making healthy choices and not over-indulging is the key to moderation.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    So I started into reading everyone elses replies and stopped myself for fear I too would get confused...lol

This is the way I look at it. There are 2 kinds of dieters out there.....those that diet to get skinny......and those that diet to get healthy.

The ones that diet to get skinny pretty much eat lowcal....lowfat....artificial sweeteners..........whatever! They don't necassrily care about nutrition.....they just want to get thin!!! As long as it's low in everything including calories they'll do whatever it takes including starving themselves to get there!!!

Then there's the dieter who wants to lose weight because their health is failing and not only do they have to trim down but they also need to get healthier or rid themselves of the onset of disease. These dieters definitely have a goal of losing weight but in the end they also need to get healthier so what they put in their body counts big time!!!! These are the ones that eat for nutrition....they generally eat all their food groups but from healthy sources.....they care about nutritional values in foods and need to make this a lifestyle change for the sake of livng longer!!

Will both ways get you thinner? Absolutely!!!

What you need to decide is which way is more important to you.
    If your only goal is to fit into that little black dress.....you'll probably pick the first.
    If you care about living a long and healthy life.....my suggestion would be the latter.

Don't let everyone elses choices overwhelm you to exhaustion. Take what information you get from others and if it sounds like good advice or something that interests you.....google it!!! lol
    It's amazing what you can learn from others.......even those with crazy advice!!! lol

Good luck in your journey.....I hope you able to clear your head and choose the path that leads you to your new thinner/healthier you =-)

There are two kinds of people: those who divide people into two groups and those who don't. . . :P I'm somewhere between the two. I care about nutrition and health but I don't get extreme about it. Moderation. :)
  • ArisaraV
    ArisaraV Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I really think it depends on lifestyle and what you enjoy and can stick to will actually work for you the best.
    For example, I found myself a carbs addicted (and also sugary) and notice that I felt guity and sluggish after having those meal which are high in carbs. I mean its always taste really good but after you've done eating, its just didnt feel right.
    So I switch my diet to low carbs and high in protein and I just feel like I have so much more energy.
    I get my carbs often from banana, oatmeal, brown rice, corn and once in a while whole wheat bread when I feel really out of energy. I hope that helps a bit in the wider aspect. so pretty much just find what works for you. what do you enjoy.

I know some people just control portion size, some are just watch the calories, amount of really stricts carbs (insane ;p, i tried that but never works), some are just plain low fat....

it depends on lifestyles!
  • visiri
    visiri Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I agree - I just ignore all of it. I eat what I want to eat. I know that what I eat is fairly healthy - and my issue was not junk food - it was portions.

My biggest thing is that I want to get the weight off and keep it off forever and I know the only way to do that is to eat in a realistic way today. If I cut out categories I know that keeping it off is not going to work as denial for me creates binges - and how would I eat when I hit my goal? I dont' want that to change.

I know it's not easy - but it's our journey to walk.
  • cougarlou
    Options
    I agree. Although I've worked in nutrition for a number of years, I still get confused. Still, I have come to believe in balancing REAL food instead of substituting with fakes. One example is the low fat option... they reduce the fat but replace it with sodium for flavor. If you're not watching it, your over all sodium intake can go sky high even though all your other "numbers" are looking great. That by itself can cause a weight struggle and if your prone to water retention or high blood pressure you could be in trouble. I the end it all depends on how your own body works, so don't pay attention to fads and scare tactics. Just eat real food, eat what you like (in moderation), and be consistent with your daily intake. Oh yeah, and get some cardio exercise (NOT something that I' consistent about). Good Luck!