skin or no skin

Options
Okay so i have grown up with beautifull succulent roast chicken my mom made on the farm. This is what we ate, it was never an issue not to eat the skin of the chicken and the best part of the lamb braai (bbq) chops were the fatty bits.

Well all this time I have had the skin of the chicken, dam it is so divine. Anyway a while ago my daughter was complaining about a sore tummy. Nothing serious but the doctor, my daughter and I chatted about what she ate today " She had chocolate cereal for breakfast, a chocolate sandwich for lunch and a toasted cheese for lunch!

The doctor advised that this was not at all good. My daughter advised that she is only allowed to have chocolate sandwhiches twice a week and that it is the first time they have chocolate cereal.

The doctor looked at me and said.look what you have to go through now because of "Bad Habits" twice a week for chocolate sandwiches is TO MUCH, where are the vegetables or sald at lunch time. He advised that we should have the main meal at lunch time. I said this would not be possible as my son would not eat being on concerta and my hubby only comes home at 6.30, we always have family meals together.

He said try -Well so now we still have our evening meal at night time, but the kids eat well for breakfast (no more chocolate sandwhiches or cereal AT ALL EVER) lunch time I have made sure they are eating from the basic five groups they have fruit and veggies cut up and well this is where the dillema always comes in:

SKIN OR NO SKIN--- as I prepared the chicken for tonight I was going to cook my chicken (skinless) seperately and in my mind I know how delicious it is and so the rest of my family would have crispy juicy chicken skin on.

But then I thought -- the dr --- that is it - chicken skin is not healthy - I cooked skinless drumsticks with lotsa herbs and spices and well let us see if anyone misses the chicken skin!

So bad habits as a young child are hard to break - I never was a fat child and only became obesse once cooking for myself - so let us becarefull what we feed our children. Since we have seen the doctor for my daughters tummy they have been eating way healthier -- no my tummy aches!

Replies

• PaulS70
    PaulS70 Posts: 70
    Options
    Eat the skin. It is in no way unhealthy. Especially if you raised the chicken yourself.