Sugar subsitute!

Options
I am a tea addict. Green tea absolutely does not work for me. I like my tea with half milk, half water and a spoon of sugar. About 200 calories are gone in tea everyday!

Now I was thinking of substituting the sugar with sugar substitues - available as tablets etc. However, I read somewhere that they cause more damage than good. Then I read somewhere that I should substitute the sugar with honey. Someone told me that honey has double the cals then sugar.

Let me know what is a wise choice?

(Leaving tea is not a option, I live to drink tea :D )

Replies

• auctoritas
    Options
    Personally when I cut sugar out of my diet I just adapted to tea without sugar. I also started appreciating it more because I could taste more of the subtleties that I'd missed when adding sugar and milk.

So you can try going without adding stuff and explore new tea options, or you can switch to substitutes.

I think in moderation sugar substitutes are okay. I use them occasionally. There is some research linking them to problems, but in small doses I don't think they do more harm than any of the other stuff people encounter daily. I'm sure someone will post some research.
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    The only substitute I use is Stevia. It's natural (herbal)

you might want to try that. The others (Splenda aka Sucralose, Equal aka Aspartame, etc.) are all cooked up in a lab. they're toxic to the body.
  • sweettoothfairy
    sweettoothfairy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Even i m a tea addict.. Needs 2-3 cups daily... I would suggest take without sugar but if you are like me who like sweet tea then go for artificial sweetner.. U can take splenda or sugar free natura.. Both r sucralose... Stay away from asparatame.. Heard its nrot good for health. ..equal n sugar free gold are made from asparatame.
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options

you might want to try that. The others (Splenda aka Sucralose, Equal aka Aspartame, etc.) are all cooked up in a lab. they're toxic to the body.

Stevia is a superb alternative, although its been banned in many countries, especially the US the last time i checked. I`ve only every been able to buy it from the internet in the UK. The proper stuff is approx 5 x the sweetness of sugar, so only a tiny bit is needed.
  • PepperRocks
    Options

Stevia, well not sure if it is available in India. Wonder why is it banned in US.
  • susanb573
    susanb573 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I truly have sugar issues. I almost think I am addicted to the stuff. So when I went on this, one of my first rules was no adding sugar to anything and I still am probably getting too much sugar just from my food choices. If it were me, I would try tea with no sugar. If you try that for a afew days and just can't adjust, then try maybe half the sugar?
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,366 Member
    Options
    Aren't there more calories in the milk?
  • jonski1968
    jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
    Options

Stevia, well not sure if it is available in India. Wonder why is it banned in US.

Apparently its to do the big monopolies yet again, the saccharin companies don`t want you to use an additive free sweeetner as it would cost them millions of dollars a year. As far as i`m aware, china still uses it in all their Coca Cola products.
  • casbar911
    casbar911 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I am in the US and I actually grow my own stevia plants all spring/summer and fall, as it grows you snip off the leaves and you can dry them and keep them for the winter... I just crush them up and us them. For tea/coffee just stick a few (a little goes a LLLLOOOONNGGG way) in a tea ball (otherwise the little pieces will float (gross)) and poof an all natural sweetner- to cook with I just crush it up. They sell the plants in the us so I dont know about the whole illegal aspect...

If I get stuck or are not at home- I carry some Stevia in the Raw packets.... they have dextrose in them so try not to use to often but sometimes I dont have time to let the tea ball sit before I have to run out the door.
  • bonnie37204
    Options
    I am in the US and have been buying stevia for about 10 years, it is in most grocery stores now and easy to find. stevia is a great substitute and is all natural.
  • mickipedia
    mickipedia Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    the only problems would be caused with excessive use of these artificial sweetners, which if its just for tea you should be fine.

Also try cutting down, its amazing how quick you can actually start liking tea without sugar!
  • ComeAroundSundown
    ComeAroundSundown Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I use Stevia and have been using it for quite a while now. I am so used to the taste of it, that sugar in tea or coffee tastes kind of gross to me.
  • hollin40
    hollin40 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    You can also try agave nectar. It looks like honey and is just as sweet. You can cook with it also.
  • amberpryor
    Options
    Stevia was never "banned" in the US, but it used to be required to be labeled as a "dietary supplement" and was never found in the sweetener aisle. Maybe in the supplements aisle. As little as 2-3 years ago, I had to buy stevia from a health food store or online. However, now it is found right there with the other sugar substitutes in many different brands even in Walmart!

It is derived from a plant, but don't think it hasn't been processed. Natural stevia (which you still have to buy from a health food company) is dark green, and very potent. The stevia you buy at the grocery store is pure white, and tamed down to taste more like the other artificial sweeteners we are used to. Despite these processes, I still think it's the best choice among sugar substitutes.

Taste-wise, I think it has that same nasty aftertaste as all sugar substitutes do. If your goal is to lower calories, I would try stevia. Personally, I can't stand that aftertaste, and it's not worth it to me. So I would just limit my intake of sugar-sweetened tea to one per day (or however much your calorie goal allows), or try to learn to drink it unsweetened. Or maybe there's a drink out there that has less calories naturally that you could learn to drink instead. Maybe if you gradually lower the amount of milk and sugar in your tea, you'll become accustomed to drinking it plain and won't miss the additives.
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    Options

Stevia is a superb alternative, although its been banned in many countries, especially the US the last time i checked. I`ve only every been able to buy it from the internet in the UK. The proper stuff is approx 5 x the sweetness of sugar, so only a tiny bit is needed.

This is incorrect. Not sure where you live, but Stevia is far from illegal in the US. I buy it from my local grocery store (in the US) to put in my green tea. It is the only sweetener I'll buy.
  • rinku1234
    Options
    In India, the traditional way of sugar substitue is jaggery. Jaggery is much much healthier than table sugar. The composition of jaggery consist of many other minerals which are absent in table sugar.

In 100 gms of table sugar there are around 387 cals + 99.9 gms of sugar + 0 minerals..... whereas in 100 gms of jaggery, there are 383 cals + 46.5 g of sugar + some other minerals which are vital for health.

It is not possible to cut down your calories just by substituting sugar with jaggery however if let with no choice then jaggery is anytime but much better and healthier option than sugar or sugar free tabs.
  • newme201213
    newme201213 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    try atleast brown sugar...
  • PepperRocks
    Options
    try atleast brown sugar...

How is brown sugar healtier than the white one?
  • PepperRocks
    Options
    In India, the traditional way of sugar substitue is jaggery. Jaggery is much much healthier than table sugar. The composition of jaggery consist of many other minerals which are absent in table sugar.

In 100 gms of table sugar there are around 387 cals + 99.9 gms of sugar + 0 minerals..... whereas in 100 gms of jaggery, there are 383 cals + 46.5 g of sugar + some other minerals which are vital for health.

It is not possible to cut down your calories just by substituting sugar with jaggery however if let with no choice then jaggery is anytime but much better and healthier option than sugar or sugar free tabs.

Jaggery in tea, how does it taste? I am happy to read that it has 5 cals less :D
  • Safeena87
    Options
    The best options are stevia and xylitol if you must have sugar