Getting in that good ol' H2O

Options
I recently restarted my journey towards losing weight...I am trying to set small goals for myself that I can turn into habits. I have a huge problem with liquid calories (I let myself be dragged into the corn syrup soda pool). My first goal is to start drinking water again. But I am hoping someone will have some suggestions to help make drinking that water a little easier. Right now I am re-using SmartWater bottles because drinking 2 bottles a day is 8 cups (looking at it as "2 bottles" makes it easier for me). But....I'd like to start drinking water all the time. I've tried the sugar free add-ins and I gave them up because I don't like the after taste. Flavored sparkling water is ok...but there is still that after taste I can add lemons when I am at home, but it isn't an option while I am working (need to use bottles, or small containers). I have heard that you can add Lemon Oil to your water, but I haven't tried it yet. I would also be interested in learning about flavored water filters if anyone has tried them. Yes....I need to learn to just drink plain water, and I do but I'd like an alternative for days when plain water isn't cutting it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Replies

• paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I hate the taste of water, so I rarely drink it, I drink still flavoured spring water or sparkling flavoured spring water, I guess that counts & sparkling flavoured water is a great soda substitute.
  • Reptileszz
    Reptileszz Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi, I feel your pain. I have never been a water drinker. I never feel thirsty which is odd but whatever. Anyway, this might be an odd suggestion but I actually just chug a 16.9 oz bottle of water after I get up in the morning and then after I work out. I then try and chug another one right at the water cooler at work twice. I just drink it all down at once so I dont have to worry about it later since I will not really sip at it all day. Weird yes? Also, for the chugging I use room temp water or close to it or I would get a brain freeze. :)

Good luck.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    There are fruit infused water options for you as well (I am sure you can google it) and in the search function of the community you can even find a variety of recipes for it.

I never drank enough water either, I still have to work every day to get it but have learned that I get more thirsty now that my body recognizes its getting water! If you don't drink water you retain it and its harder to judge any weight loss.

Chugging it as suggested already is mostly how I do it. :)
  • theginnyray
    theginnyray Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Avoid packets/drops etc etc etc. Go natural. Try lemons or limes - cut them into slices at home, then throw in a container in the fridge at work. When you are refilling your water, squeeze the juice into your water. I bought a package of those blood-oranges, and apparently I hate them as-is, but they are great for fancifying my water. Also ice cubes are fun.
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I love water and drink it plain most of the time, but I just can't get in enough of it. Never have. I've never been a soda or iced tea drinker, either. I guess I'm just not a thirsty person. The big Smart Water bottles are good for me, too. I reuse mine. I have an insulated water bottle that I keep by me almost all the time.

At one time, I had a lovely glass pitcher and would put in my water, ice, and fruit (lemons, limes, oranges, grapefruit) or fresh mint leaves. I'd leave it on the counter and every time I went by would pour myself a glass. But the pitcher had an unfortunate accident and I haven't replaced it yet.
  • tooofluffy
    Options
    Hmm. I have the same problem. Your question has made me think about how I could drink more water. This is what Im going to try... I will drink a cup of water before each meal which is 24 oz. I will drink a cup when I take medicine morning and night which = 16 more oz... Thats 5 cups and thats better than usual which is on most days none..lol
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time drinking water if it's from a glass or bottle but add a straw and for some reason i find it very easy to suck down water.

I bought a 24oz tumbler(hard plastic cup with a lid and straw) and i easily drink 4 or more a day.
  • nicshaw95
    nicshaw95 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Hi, I made my new years resolution to drink 2 litres of water a day. I take a litre bottle everyday to work with me and make sure I drink it all on the way to and from work. I also have another water bottle at work, that I drink, around my daily dose of tea ( I am a teacher). Then however much I haven't drunk of my daily 2 litres, I make sure I drink that when I get home. This has made it really easy for me to drink at least 2 litres every day. I spent most of the first week in the loo, but now my body has adjusted to the water intake, I don't have that problem any more. Hope that helps you.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Just tea and coffee is all its ever been for me, with some diet soda at dinnertime :) And im perfectly hydrated. If you dont like pure water, dont drink it! As long as you get your fluid from somewhere, really doesn't matter where.