Going over on protein....

Options
2»

Replies

• Shaneekwa
    Shaneekwa Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I sometimes find it hard to meet my protein targets, but I am trying to focus more on it. My Iron intake is very low, any suggestions?

Try loading up on your green veggies. I can have a plate full of greens and very little meat and will be very satisfied. Search for greens that are high in iron and go with that
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    It's true that if you have too much it can cause kidney issues, but this amount of "too much" is very high - a lot higher than MFP sets it's basic amount at (probably 200g+ minimum) Unless you have existing kidney problems I really wouldn't worry, it's hard to go much above 100-150 without protein supplements anyway. Protein is also very important if you exercise a lot, it helps you not lose muscle mass (most people lose some muscle when dieting)
    If you have kidney problems, speak to your doctor about it.

It will not halt your fat loss progress, in fact it may help it as many people find foods high in protein and fibre to fill them up more so they get less hungry. The only thing that will make you gain weight is if you are over in caloires, macro (fat, carbs, protein) amounts are a personal choice. I have a goal of 150g to reach.

Many people on here shoot for 1g per lb of body weight. That's not necessary really unless you are looking to build muscle and/or do quite a bit of strength training but, again, it shouldn't do you any harm unless you have kidney issues.

Basically, it's fine, don't worry about it! :)
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Double Post
  • nml2011
    nml2011 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    It is true that eating higher protein will put an additional load on the kidneys but the amounts being discussed here such as 1g per pound is unlikely to have any long term effects.

An existing medical condition could be agrevated.

Many people training out there have eaten these sorts of diets for decades without long term damage.

Drink plenty of water to shuttle the protein where it's required and you'll have a happy body.

Now pass me that chicken!! ;-)
  • mattkellett
    Options
    ou want to take in at least a grm of protien for your DESIRED body weight. This is to maintain that "desired weight" Protien is like anything else if your body doesnt need it, it will store it as fat.

hope this helps a bit.

Matt
  • damonmath
    damonmath Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    MFP default protein requirements are low. Eat your protein kids.......

If you don't feed your body enough protein you will likely LOOSE MUSCLE at a faster rate on a restricted calorie diet.

The body building community generally recommend 1g/lb per day. You may not need that much but I would shoot for at least half that.

Most people find protein and fat are more satiating than carbs. As much as I love my carbs, I continue to dial them down and find I'm less hungry.

Exactly!
  • mattkellett
    Options
    yes!, protien is a must for everyone, it takes the body more energy (calories) to burn off a gram of protien than a carb or fat. So you stay fuller longer and your are burning more calories, allbeit not a tonne.

Matt
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I sometimes find it hard to meet my protein targets, but I am trying to focus more on it. My Iron intake is very low, any suggestions?

I had to start taking a iron supplement. It changed my life, I did not realize how anemic I was. It was pre hysterectomy, so that TOM was really depleting me.

Spinach and beans are a good source of iron, but it is still good to take a supplement, unless you start to get constipated.
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    i eat above and beyond the protein requirement on here because i lift weights .. i feel its too low on here anyway and i just use this food diary as a general guideline..you have to figure out what your needs are and go from there
  • nml2011
    nml2011 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    yes!, protien is a must for everyone, it takes the body more energy (calories) to burn off a gram of protien than a carb or fat. So you stay fuller longer and your are burning more calories, allbeit not a tonne.

Matt

Spot on!
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    Not at all. In fact, if you want to challenge yourself, go to the goals tab, select custom, and raise your protein goal. :)
  • SandraNancy
    SandraNancy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Elsewhere on MFP, someone had posted that if you're looking to lose weight and tone up, you should aim for 1g of protein for every lb of LEAN body mass. For me, that would be about 100g/day. If you're looking to bulk up, they recommended at least 1-1.5g of protein for every lb of body mass. For me, that would be about 133-200g/day.

MFP had my protein goal at 45g/day, which I was finding way too low since I eat a higher protein diet already. I've set my goal to about 100g/day, and find it much more achievable. I would suggest others try these amounts to see how they work for you!
  • JayPeazy
    JayPeazy Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Around 100 grams per day is actually right on track. If you have too much protein you're body won't be able to process it.

...possibly developing in the kidney stones. Watched my dad go through it from too much protein. He was NOT having a good time. If you do start going over 150...make SURE you are working out so it gets used up elsewhere than the kidneys!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    MFP default protein requirements are low. Eat your protein kids.......

If you don't feed your body enough protein you will likely LOOSE MUSCLE at a faster rate on a restricted calorie diet.

The body building community generally recommend 1g/lb per day. You may not need that much but I would shoot for at least half that.

Most people find protein and fat are more satiating than carbs. As much as I love my carbs, I continue to dial them down and find I'm less hungry.

A good .7-.8g per lb of ideal body weight - this seems to be what I read no matter which site I visit. I strive for 1g per lb of lean body mass (I have about 90lbs worth - not bad for 112lbs! - and since I'm low carb my body doesn't retain water AT ALL). Some days I eat more, and some days less. And same here on carbs. I use to have a bowl of real oatmeal (not instant) and some fruit each morning and I would be shaking like a leaf 90 minutes later looking for more carbs (sound like an addiction "jones" to me). Now I can eat a few eggs with some uncured bacon and it will keep me full all day and I don't get the blood sugar swings that make me weak and shaky!

--Unless you have unhealthy kidneys your body will process the excess protein.
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/protein-kidneys/#axzz1kOpePCVH

And if your body doesn't handle carbs well then fruit and whole grains will be the worst thing you can give it. All non-fiber carbs are converted to glucose and if your body can't handle those amounts of glucose then you don't need fruit and whole grains. Whole grains aren't healthy for everyone - what about the people with Celiac disease and gluten sensitivity? They weren't for me. I eat more fat than anything else (strive for 60-70% of my calories to come from fat). I am fighting to keep the weight on. In fact I use carbs to keep my weight from dropping too low. I'm a fat burner. When you stop ingesting all day what becomes glucose then eventually your body will learn to get it's fuel from fat and not rely on a 'sugar fix' every 2-3 hours.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your settings. MFP standard settings give low goals for protein and fiber (my opinion) so its fine to go over. I actually adjusted mine to more reasonable targets. But, you don't want to consume too much protein and miss out on the benefits of fruit, vegetables and whole grains!
  • Reedern
    Reedern Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Protein is good to help boost your metabolism and help aide in weight loss. My doctor told me I need at least 80 grams as apposed to the 40 that MFP told me.
  • gloria84
    gloria84 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jenbrooks08
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone for all the helpful information :)