This is what strength training can do to a woman's body (WIT

Options
I've been doing strength training for 2 years but I admit I was then one of the many women who thought that lifting heavy weights will make me bulky & would just pick up a 2lb miniature weights. I only started to got more serious & lift heavy weights last June 2011after reading an article on women doing push-ups & heavy weight training. At first I was a bit hesitant to do it but then I thought to myself why not try it.

Right now I'm doing push-ups (decline, regular & stability ball), pull-ups, bench & shoulder presses at 25 lbs., lunges & squats at 50 lbs., deadlifts at 60-70 lbs. on barbell, etc.. All for 2-3 sets at 8-10 reps. Aside from that I also do 3 sets of planks on stability ball & bicycle crunch at 20 reps. Still a far cry from the muscle heads but eventually I will get to their lifting level soon.

So here I am now testifying here that this never ending myth is very much FALSE. (NOTE: Some pics here are not too clear since I just took it from my mobile phone.)

BEFORE PICS

May 2011 at 65 kgs (140ish lbs.), waist line 30 inches, hips at 38 inches

Amici00011.jpg

June 2011 just before I started. I weighed around 60 kgs (128ish lbs.), high end of normal BMI, waist line 29 inches, hips 38 inches

260571_1993677013392_1587429499_1865662_3551886_n-1.jpg

As you can see from this pic, I already lost more than 10 pounds but there were not much difference in terms of appearance.

DURING THE PROCESS at 55 kgs (120ish lbs.) waist line 28.5 inches, hips 37 inches

Amici024.jpg

AFTER at 54 kgs (120 lbs.) waist line 26 inches, hips 35 inches

Amici0301.jpg
Amici0271.jpg
Amici0281.jpg
Amici0331.jpg
Amici0321.jpg
Amici0311.jpg

So women, this shows that muscles makes a woman sexy & the myth of bulking up isn't true at all as long as there is no steroids or anabolic drugs involved. Actually I experienced the opposite because I got smaller without losing weight (but who cares about the scale if you're losing inches & starting to fit into size S clothes aside from getting stronger?) Also I'm a naturally muscular person but as you can see I still didn't bulked up from weight training.

Replies

• LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    bump
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Looking good. I'm a huge fan of lifting for everyone. It has so many upsides!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    You look GREAT!
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Nice job girl!!
  • CaliSweden
    Options
    Wow, you look great! Keep up the good work! I agree with you, strength training doesn't make a woman bulky. I don't know why people think that it does. I think we look great with some muscles, it's 1000x better than skinny fat.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Nice job.
  • monkeymouse74
    Options
    You look great! thanks for sharing this. I have been seriously considering starting weights and this just confirms why I should go for it! :flowerforyou:
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    good work! These are the best types of posts....proof of the gains from strength training. Keep it up!
  • nicolinski
    Options
    Inspired when i really needed it! Thanking you! :-) You look amazing.
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    very nice - Good job!
  • Missnurse89
    Options
    Wow, you look AMAZING! Def an inspiration for all of us. Okay, time for me to get started on some weight bearing exercises. You go girl!
  • ninakir88
    ninakir88 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Great job, I have been skeptical about strength training when I was younger as well, but when I saw the results I couldn't deny how affective it was! Looking good :)
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options
    I got overconfident with larger weights when I started this week ... your tips are great and the results speak for themselves.

Well done ! :drinker:
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Well done!

Personally, I think strength training also does wonders for the mind. Feeling strong makes me more confident in the world. Wish I had a pic to demonstrate, but you get the idea.
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Looking great. I'm getting into lifting and strength training, I can't wait until I start seeing the results ^_^
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Lifting does not make you bulky or gain muscle. Thats solely down to diet allowing the process to complete. Imagine a house (you) and you want to build an extension (muscle). You have all the work men you like (the training) but without the necessary extra food (bricks) you won't build anything.
  • dianesmart
    dianesmart Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You look great!!!
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Great job! You look FABULOUS!!!

~Marcy
  • Fat_2_Fit_Mommy
    Fat_2_Fit_Mommy Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    You look great!! Doing a good job!
  • mlkiel
    mlkiel Posts: 91
    Options
    You look GREAT and CONGRATS!!! My goal is to tone up, I want to see the "definition". I have to be happy:smile: with my results, if others don't like it...adios. You should be proud of yourself!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!