Loosing weight with out exercising ?? NOT !

Options

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I screwed up my lean mass by not lifting while losing weight so now i'm playing catchup!!!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    He is just trying the "tough love" approach.

I honestly agree. Exercise can really change your body composition and is so good for you! (assuming you have no medical problems of course)

Lift heavy things! :D
  • kristenn1989
    kristenn1989 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I personally started last year with changing my diet before I jumped into exercising. I wanted to have that under control before I added extra exercise that I wasn't used to. Once I got that under control, I did add exercise but I didn't want to give myself too much too soon. And yes, I DID lose weight. About 20lbs worth.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Some life circumstances don't allow for exercise. Injuries, illnesses, time constraints, etc. (I do exercise btw. And I'm grateful I'm able to)

This.
    Lupus here. I try to walk when I can. I'm grateful for the exercise I'm able to do, but it isn't much, and there have been times in my life when it was nothing.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy things! :D

Ditto! Go heavy or go home!

(and remember, heavy for you, not heavy for the college linebacker working out next to you)
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    When I started MFP...I started with the food and light cardio...then kept building..now i take classes or go to the gym 6 days a week...but this is what works for me..
  • monkeymouse74
    Options
    My personal goal is not being skinny, but fit/ toned and healthy, and THAT my friends take's exercise! If you only want to be thin and not fit and healthy, go ahead and do whatever makes you happy...:smile:
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Everyone should do what works for them. Please stop juding people if you don't know their situation. Personally, I love working out and running and I am very happy that I am physically able to exercise. I've lost 45 pounds through healthier eating and lots of exercise...On the other hand, my mother is over 65, has some injuries, and cannot exercise like I can...she has pain just walking and swimming (and she's only about 10 pounds overweight, the pain is from a car accident). She is losing a few poundsby eating healthy and clean and swimming when she is physically able to. Not all "non exercisers" are lazy. Some people have actual disabilities or injuries that prevent them from working out.
  • his_kid1
    his_kid1 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    This site is called My Ftness Pal if you don't like different ideas and help and don't have an open mind to try new things your not taking full advantage of information given out, fact is fact exercise is a must for a healthy life style .This my opinion and you dont have to agree . Good luck to you............

Aaaaactually... this statement,
    This is ridiculous and truthfully is just being lazy, sorry if I offend people saying this but there are no positive results not exercising when trying to loose weight
    is pretty much the antithesis of being open minded or helpful.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Everyone should do what works for them. Please stop juding people if you don't know their situation. Personally, I love working out and running and I am very happy that I am physically able to exercise. I've lost 45 pounds through healthier eating and lots of exercise...On the other hand, my mother is over 65, has some injuries, and cannot exercise like I can...she has pain just walking and swimming (and she's only about 10 pounds overweight, the pain is from a car accident). She is losing a few poundsby eating healthy and clean and swimming when she is physically able to. Not all "non exercisers" are lazy. Some people have actual disabilities or injuries that prevent them from working out.

I have a feeling he isn't talking about people with disabilities or health reasons.
  • MaryStregger
    MaryStregger Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Personally, I feel like diet and exercise are a part of a concept known as "lifestyle change" that comes for many people in not just one, but several revelations. I lost 20 pounds about six years ago without exercise - then I lost 10 more by taking both exercise and diet to an extreme. Because it felt so extreme it seemed impossible to maintain and I basically fell off the wagon and gained it all back. This year I have lost all of it through using mfp, exercising (first moderately, then building up to programs like p90x & turbo fire - where I workout 6 days a week) and choosing to consume foods based on their ability to fuel my workouts and get me through the day feeling energized. This was a process of reflecting on my past failures and learning from them.

Because of all of this, I would encourage anyone beginning on the journey towards finding a balanced, healthy lifestyle to tackle one battle at a time - continuously honing your lifestyle and bettering it. Don't try to do it all at once! That would be like enrolling a 5 year old in university. Sure, exercise is a necessary part of a healthy lifestyle, but if you're eating crap and not exercising at all - at least eating less crap is a good starting place.
  • rebyekah
    Options
    I lost 90 lbs by eating healthy w/o formal exercise.

So by your theory I would be better off if I had done NOTHING and stayed at 210 lbs?!?

I'm a single mom of three year old twins who works 60 hours a week, but I guess I'm lazy. It's a constant struggle to eek out any kind of personal time for myself and that includes exercise. I'm lucky to get a shower without interruptions. I get up at 5:15 every morning to take my kids to school and get myself to work. I am usually working or on the road for my lunch break. I get off work around 6 or 7, fight my way through LA traffic to pick my kids up, fix dinner, spend some sort of quality time with my children and get them to bed around 9. Which leaves me maybe an hour to pay bills, pick up the house, do dishes and have maybe 5 minutes of "me" time.

Before I had kids I was very active and loved it...I ran 5 miles everyday, ran lots of 5k's and even a marathon. I thought I would never be one of those mom's who "lets herself go", but I did. I didn't get any sleep for the first 6 months after my kids were born and I just ate everything in sight. I gained a lot of weight and by the time they were 18 months I found myself at 210 lbs. I made a choice to do SOMETHING rather than NOTHING. My choices were not ideal and I am not advocating losing weight without exercise. It is healthier and easier in many ways to include exercise. But you can't say that my weight loss has no merit and isn't something I should be proud of because I couldn't manage to fit exercise into my routine! I lost the weight very, very slowly over about a year and a half. I never starved myself. I just made choices every day to eat healthier. My work and running after kids, kept me at an activity level that was always "slightly active". And no matter what you say, I am HEALTHIER at 120 lbs. than I was at 210 lbs!!!

My goal for 2012 is to finally work on my fitness level and I came to the boards to get advice on doing that. Now that my kids are older and I've worked out some custody issues, it's become less overwhelming to think about somehow working a fitness routine into my schedule. I was hoping to find people who would be less judgmental of the progress I've already made and encourage me in this next step.

It would have been very discouraging to me if I had read your post in June 2010. I would have thought...oh I guess I'll never be able to lose this weight if I can't run like I used to or went to the gym every day. I may have just thrown in the towel before I even started and kept going through that Carl's Jr Drive-thru every day. You do everyone a great disservice by making blanket statements and assumptions. Some people have to take lifestyle choices one step at a time to make it lasting and work for them. I was one of those people and I'm not by any means lazy. IMHO your thinking is lazy.
  • rebyekah
    Options

So by your theory I would be better off if I had done NOTHING and stayed at 210 lbs?!?

I'm a single mom of three year old twins who works 60 hours a week, but I guess I'm lazy. It's a constant struggle to eek out any kind of personal time for myself and that includes exercise. I'm lucky to get a shower without interruptions. I get up at 5:15 every morning to take my kids to school and get myself to work. I am usually working or on the road for my lunch break. I get off work around 6 or 7, fight my way through LA traffic to pick my kids up, fix dinner, spend some sort of quality time with my children and get them to bed around 9. Which leaves me maybe an hour to pay bills, pick up the house, do dishes and have maybe 5 minutes of "me" time.

Before I had kids I was very active and loved it...I ran 5 miles everyday, ran lots of 5k's and even a marathon. I thought I would never be one of those mom's who "lets herself go", but I did. I didn't get any sleep for the first 6 months after my kids were born and I just ate everything in sight. I gained a lot of weight and by the time they were 18 months I found myself at 210 lbs. I made a choice to do SOMETHING rather than NOTHING. My choices were not ideal and I am not advocating losing weight without exercise. It is healthier and easier in many ways to include exercise. But you can't say that my weight loss has no merit and isn't something I should be proud of because I couldn't manage to fit exercise into my routine! I lost the weight very, very slowly over about a year and a half. I never starved myself. I just made choices every day to eat healthier. My work and running after kids, kept me at an activity level that was always "slightly active". And no matter what you say, I am HEALTHIER at 120 lbs. than I was at 210 lbs!!!

My goal for 2012 is to finally work on my fitness level and I came to the boards to get advice on doing that. Now that my kids are older and I've worked out some custody issues, it's become less overwhelming to think about somehow working a fitness routine into my schedule. I was hoping to find people who would be less judgmental of the progress I've already made and encourage me in this next step.

It would have been very discouraging to me if I had read your post in June 2010. I would have thought...oh I guess I'll never be able to lose this weight if I can't run like I used to or went to the gym every day. I may have just thrown in the towel before I even started and kept going through that Carl's Jr Drive-thru every day. You do everyone a great disservice by making blanket statements and assumptions. Some people have to take lifestyle choices one step at a time to make it lasting and work for them. I was one of those people and I'm not by any means lazy. IMHO your thinking is lazy.
  • LittleMissAngi
    LittleMissAngi Posts: 243 Member
    Options

I am going through this samething, and it is a struggle everyday! I will get there. One step at a time.
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options

I am going through this samething, and it is a struggle everyday! I will get there. One step at a time.

Rebyekah---I'm amazed that you were ever 210 lbs. You look fantastic! Congrats on your achievements!

LittleMissAng--You can do it! Make what changes you can now...do the best you can...I'm sure you'll get there!

I only started here last Sept. and couldn't even walk for 10 minutes without having to stop and rest (I wasn't even walking 2mph). Now I can walk for 4+miles at a pace of between 3.5 and 4 mph. I dance....I workout to dvd's at home sometimes and sometimes I use the Wii fit. My progress has been slow, and I have a long way to go. I am joining a gym tomorrow...I try to do better than I was, and I am.
  • smallsparkles
    Options
    Hotrodhoodlum, while I can see you are trying to offer some advice here, labelling others as "lazy" is not helpful, considering that some people in MFP have endured a lifetime of negative labels from others.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing posts " I loose weight with out exercising" Why do people insist on bragging that they loose weight with out exercising . This is ridiculous and truthfully is just being lazy, sorry if I offend people saying this but there are no positive results not exercising when trying to loose weight . You will loose muscle mass as well so your so called weight loss has a negative affect on your body and this is not healthy. You are depriving yourself of all benefits that come with exercise . Please think out your plan and read information before attempting a weight loss regiment .

Some people CAN lose weight without exercising, my sister is one of those, strict with her eating and has so far, lost around 56lbs (probably more now, I haven't seen her for a few weeks).

When it comes to myself, I have to exercise otherwise I feel as though I am going to seize up, plus it burn the calories.

Just wanted to say, it is definitely possible.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I have a feeling he isn't talking about people with disabilities or health reasons.
    Who cares who he's talking about? Not everyone is going to exercise. Being judgmental and nasty about it won't change that. I highly doubt anyone who isn't working out already was inspired to do so by this nasty thread.
  • rebyekah
    Options

Rebyekah---I'm amazed that you were ever 210 lbs. You look fantastic! Congrats on your achievements!

LittleMissAng--You can do it! Make what changes you can now...do the best you can...I'm sure you'll get there!

I only started here last Sept. and couldn't even walk for 10 minutes without having to stop and rest (I wasn't even walking 2mph). Now I can walk for 4+miles at a pace of between 3.5 and 4 mph. I dance....I workout to dvd's at home sometimes and sometimes I use the Wii fit. My progress has been slow, and I have a long way to go. I am joining a gym tomorrow...I try to do better than I was, and I am.

Thank you NItalynne58 and LittleMissAng! Congratulations on your progress!!! I think as long as you're making choices every day to be a little healthier than you were the day before it's always a good thing. We all have different journeys on this path. We should all be applauded for doing the best we can towards our health with the time, energy and resources we have available.
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I disagree. Certainly exercise is beneficial and something I'm incorportating into my lifestyle but surely losing weight on it's own is still a good thing even without exercise. Better to lose weight and not exercise than not lose weight at all.