Difference between running and jogging?

Options

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Running is the word runners use.

Jogging is what people dismissive of running use.

If you put one foot in front of the other and it's faster than a walk, you're a runner.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    And Ron Burgundy even calls it running:
    "Oop... I almost forgot. I won't be able to make it fellas. Veronica and I trying this new fad called uh, jogging. I believe it's jogging or yogging. it might be a soft j. I'm not sure but apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild. "

from Anchorman.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options

If you put one foot in front of the other and it's faster than a walk, you're a runner.
    :flowerforyou:
    I like how you said exactly what I did, in three lines. Mine took like eight, far too long.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I've come to believe in this definition:

If you always have at least one foot touching the ground, it's walking.

If you land on your heel, it's jogging.

If you land on your toes/midfoot, it's running.
  • gtwin
    gtwin Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I am only 5'3" with short, squatty legs and I can assure you that anything over 5.2mph or so is running for me, and god help me when I get up to 6mph+ because it's all I can do to not go flying off the treadmill.

Lol...I'm 5'3 also, and the fastest I've gone up to is 8.5 for about 15 seconds. I'm sure I looked (and sounded) like a fool pounding my heavy a** feet on the treadmill. Oh well! :-)
  • calibellcollins
    Options
  • ericabrothers
    Options
    Lol...I'm 5'3 also, and the fastest I've gone up to is 8.5 for about 15 seconds. I'm sure I looked (and sounded) like a fool pounding my heavy a** feet on the treadmill. Oh well! :-)
    [/quote]

^^^ my hero for the day. I couldn't imagine getting up to 8.5 and not being thrown off of the treadmill like i was in a sling shot
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

^^^ my hero for the day. I couldn't imagine getting up to 8.5 and not being thrown off of the treadmill like i was in a sling shot
    [/quote]

I am 4'11'' and the fastest I was able to run was 8. LOL. To the OP, MFP say that I am walking, I say that I am running....I never jog.....it's soooo 70's and nothing good came out of the 70's.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    one you do for fun, the other you do when you're being chased by zombies
    rule-number-1-o.gif
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I would consider anything Zone 1 or below jogging.
  • thedeegan4
    thedeegan4 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Im not sure it really matters. Running is running. No matter the pace
    ]

Agreed!
  • witheredorchid
    witheredorchid Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    To me it's the difference of being able to breath and not being able to breath when I'm done. :)
  • HardHunk
    Options
    While running, you keep your body above ground, far more than you do while walking.
  • Kygirl97
    Options
    And Ron Burgundy even calls it running:
    "Oop... I almost forgot. I won't be able to make it fellas. Veronica and I trying this new fad called uh, jogging. I believe it's jogging or yogging. it might be a soft j. I'm not sure but apparently you just run for an extended period of time. It's supposed to be wild. "

from Anchorman.

I love Anchorman! To me, when I'm with my dog, I'm "running". When I'm with my 12-year-old daughter who is running much faster than me, I'm "jogging".
  • tlsegar
    tlsegar Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Jogging, running? - It's all the same to me. Both terms indicate a pace faster than I have ever been capable of maintaining for more than a minute.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I don't think speed has much to do with it. I call it jogging if I am not working hard, when I push myself, I call it running.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Jogging -> slower pace. Takes a while to get your heart rate up. Can go for a long time.

Running -> faster pace. Heart goes up faster. Can't do it as long.

Sprinting -> as fast as you can. Heart goes up faster. Can't do it as long.

You should incorporate all three.
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options

Works for me!
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    An instructor at my gym classified them like this: When running, you should be putting in enough effort to not be able to hold a conversation. While jogging, you should be putting in enough effort to not be able to sing but not so much that you can't hold a conversation.

But to me...running is running. I'm quite new to it though, so I'm probably over simplifying it :laugh:

I have heard that too. That is what I go by and at my 4.5 mph pace I call it running.
  • Catzwitch
    Catzwitch Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    . To the OP, MFP say that I am walking, I say that I am running....I never jog.....it's soooo 70's and nothing good came out of the 70's.

Hey! I came out of the 70s! :tongue: