Would i be better off doing strength training?

Options
I run 3-4 days a week for a total of about 20 miles a week (I'm trying to build up my endurance, so it's not very much just yet). Anyway, I also do Ripped in 30 5-6 days a week. My problem is, since I've been running, I've been dropping weight but can't seem to tone fast enough. My arms are really flabby. I did the 30 day shred from november-december and am on week 2 of ripped in 30 and I'm not noticing much of a difference in muscle tone. I know you can't spot reduce, but I would really like to work on my arms. Would I be better off doing free weights at home in conjunction with my run and ripped in 30 or is ripped in 30 enough strength training?

Replies

• thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    A balanced workout program is typically the best bet for overall health. If you incorporate 3-4 days of strength training, you'll start gaining muscle mass, which will actually help you lose weight faster. I suggest using a personal trainer for a week to go over some basics, then use a website like www.bodybuilding.com to get a workout program you're comfortable with. I like bb.com because it has videos of how the exercises can be performed (and its not just for body builders).
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    i would definitely add strength. Lifting 3 days a week might be a good start.
    I too am a runner (4 days a week 20-25 miles per week) and its hard to try to fit it all in your schedule, but totally worth it. Strength training will help you build that fat burning fire, increase metabolism, add definition, etc. You don't have to join a gym. There are tons of body weight strength exercises you can do at home and if you have dumbbells you can work the whole body with them. Or maybe after you complete Ripped in 30 move on to a program like P90x, you can always do your own hybrid of P90x so that you can still run 3-4 days per week.
  • rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    yes, if you don't add some strength training, you lose both fat and muscle tissue. You want to lose fat pounds not fat and muscle pounds. Do some strength work every other day.
  • gtwin
    gtwin Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Definitely start doing some lifting. An upper/lower body split would be good to start out with.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely add in more strength. If you weren't running such long distances, I wouldn't say that... but your cardio is WAY too much over your strength, so you're probably losing muscle instead of gaining muscle. If you're running that much, I think you should be lifting - and pretty heavily - about 3x per week.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Yes, doing some heavy lifting will help you build muscle definition. There is lots of information right here on MFP so you can do a search under topics to get started.
  • lez2688
    Options
    BODYPUMP. I swear by it :)
  • lml1042
    lml1042 Posts: 121
    Options
    Thanks all! I'll be adding in strength training this week. I don't have a gym membership so I'll just be doing free weights at home. I also do plyometrics which seems to help with my leg strength.