reg. vs. lite yogurt

Options
I'm new to this board (and myfitnesspal.com) as of today, but I love what I've been reading so far! So, here is my question...

I'm in my 3rd month of eating healthier and exercising more routinely, and I'm really enjoying it! I've always tried to stay away from "fake" food. I figure foods that contain more natural ingredients are better in moderation than the artificial sweeteners, chemicals and additives in so many of these "diet" and "lite" foods. What do you guys think about that?

I struggle with this mostly when it comes to picking the right kind of yogurt. I buy the plain, non-fat yogurts for my smoothies since the fruits I add provide plenty of sweetness, but when it comes to the single serving size containers (for lunches) my local grocery stores doen't offer much brand variety. I'm stuck with Yoplait and generic pretty much! The nutrition info on the labels makes the lite versions seem so much healthier (less cal., fat and sugar), but they contain aspertame with I try to avoid. Am I better off picking the regular or making this my one "fake sugar" exception?

Replies

• NatalieGoesHealthy
    NatalieGoesHealthy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this board (and myfitnesspal.com) as of today, but I love what I've been reading so far! So, here is my question...

I'm in my 3rd month of eating healthier and exercising more routinely, and I'm really enjoying it! I've always tried to stay away from "fake" food. I figure foods that contain more natural ingredients are better in moderation than the artificial sweeteners, chemicals and additives in so many of these "diet" and "lite" foods. What do you guys think about that?

I struggle with this mostly when it comes to picking the right kind of yogurt. I buy the plain, non-fat yogurts for my smoothies since the fruits I add provide plenty of sweetness, but when it comes to the single serving size containers (for lunches) my local grocery stores doen't offer much brand variety. I'm stuck with Yoplait and generic pretty much! The nutrition info on the labels makes the lite versions seem so much healthier (less cal., fat and sugar), but they contain aspertame with I try to avoid. Am I better off picking the regular or making this my one "fake sugar" exception?
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Options
    Even though it is more expensive, I've been buying greek yogurt & eating it with some honey. It is delicious! Because of the price, I don't eat it every day :frown: but at least I'm not guzzling Yoplait Lite like I was. Also, Yoplait Lite Thick & Creamy uses Splenda instead of Aspartame if that makes you feel better (I try to convince myself that it makes me feel better :laugh:)
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    i have this issue too. i just buy the generic lowfat kind because i cannot stand the taste of aspirtame. but the kind i buy has a lot of calories in it.

i did buy horizon organic once or twice. i bought the big tub and divided it out according to serving size. but it was kind of a hassle and expensive too.

i dont know what is better - regular or aspirtame kind - i just know what works for me. one of these days, i plan to try to greek yogurt which i know i will love - its my wallet that does not.
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I recommend buying a yogurt that is 100% yogurt. The other stuff tastes like jello for a reason: it's full of gelatin, corn starch and other crap. No wonder it's so easy to pop Light 'n Fit and Yoplait Light like candy - it's not much different!

Chobani and Fage 2% are available for $1.69-$1.99 per container. Yes, that does seem expensive compared to the Dannon and Yoplait, but you won't feel the urge to eat as many because they have MUCH more protein and much LESS sugar, yet no artificial sweetener.

Ever since I added Greek yogurt back to my diet, I have lost weight steadily. It is one of the best lean protein sources available - and as pricey as it is, it costs a lot less than meat, fish or tofu!
  • ggooding12
    Options
    I have been getting the Dannon light & fit. It is only 60 calories and like 10 grams of carbs. Most yogurts are around 220 in calories and 35 grams of carbs. Yikes!!! I change from that and cheerios. Somedays both if I am real hungry.