Supplements

Options
I've been looking online at acai berries and sea kelp and all the other million and 1 supplements available for weight loss.
I am tempted but I don't want to splurge a lot of money on them if they aren't going to work.

So my questions is has anyone tried any supplements? If so were there any positive/negative effects?

Replies

• Bvampgirl
    Options
    Havent tried those, did try the fat metabolisers from the health food shop which were qiute good and have tried Xenical (on prescription) which are great, but make IBS seem easy.
  • PrincessLou2
    Options
    Yeah thats what I worry about. My ibs is bad enough, I dont wanna take anything that is going to make it worse!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Most of it is junk, be leery, and no amount of supplementation replaces a solid diet and exercise program. One nutritionist I read believes that supplements are at best 5% of the diet plan.

Personal favorites that I like and come recommended by my nutritionist.

- 1 tbsp of real Lemon Juice per day (help detoxify the liver which is very important for burning fat)
    - CLA
    - Fish Oil (3 - 6grams per day)
    - Caffeine and Tyrosine prior to exercise
    - Consume plenty of protein with a balanced diet
    - Berries (especially blueberries)
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Eat correctly and exercise. Other than weak *kitten* thermogenic's I believe the only real supplement proven to help with FAT loss is CLA. And that only helps you lose 1 pounds extra every five weeks.

So my suggestion? Put in hard work and don't look for an easy way out!
  • EuroDriver12
    EuroDriver12 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    most... of the stuff works but is waaaay over priced and you can buy the main engridient as an extract and get same effect... examples for you

Superpump MAX pre-workout... $69.99 lasts less than 30 days if you take it everyday...
    main engridiants are Creatine for strenght and arginine for the pumps..
    Creatine-$19.99 for 4-6month supply
    Ariginine-$24.99 for 4-6month supply..
    so you see how you can save money? just do ur reaserch and dont buy into gimmicks..

you probley want to loose weight... i havent taken much diet pills or fat burners except ECA stack... and wife didnt like and didnt see good results with diet pills n fat burners n their waay over priced... but i did eca stack she was stunned by my results so she ran it too... a month supply of ECA is about $20...

it helps preserve lean muscle tissiue and burn ALOT more fat!! there was a study dont remember the link but it was a 30 day trial of LOW calorie diet in obese people, half took ECA half took sugar pills.. the ones that took sugar pills lost 10lbs of muscle and 10lbs of fat.. so 50/50... the onest that took ECA lost 3lbs of muscle and 17lb of fat!!!! so you can see where this can help alot!! my main thing for taking ECA is exactly this! i have no problem burning weight on my own with proper diet n cardio.. but u loose alot of muscle and ECA will help preserve muscle to get you to ur goals quicker!
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I'm taking Xtreme Thermoburn, It seems to be going okay, though I'm taking less than the recommended does for my first week as I don't want to freak my body out. So far, I've lost 2 lbs this week. It's not too expensive, $60.00/bottle, but I've split them in half with my brother and that'll last me a month.
  • PrincessLou2
    Options
    I most definitely dont want an easy way out, just something to compliment my gym work and low calorie diet.

Thanks for the suggestions though :)
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Diet and exercise is the only sure fire way. Sure, various overpriced and potentially dangerous suppliments may work temporarily but once you stop taking them the weight will just come back on as you haven't fully learned how to continue the lifestyle on your own.

Most of the over the counter diet aids and suppliements are not FDA approved nor are they always safe. Just because they are sold doesn't mean they have been approved.

Diet aids and suppliments are just gimmics, have false advertising and money makers, IMO. ALL diet aids/suppliments say in the fine print "With calorie reduced diet and exercise" which will lead to weight loss themselves!