Allergic to fruit?

Options
Now this isn't an excuse, I love fruit and won't be stopping eating it but recently I've been noticing swelling on my lips after eating certain fruit, usually tomatoes, melon, pineapple. Is this something I should be concerned with, i.e. will it get worse? does anyone else experience this?

Replies

• kjh1204
    kjh1204 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I had swelling on my lower lip the other day after having a fruit smoothie which I've never had before. However it went away after about 15 mins so I thought very little of it. If it happens a lot I would probably see a doctor about it but if it was a one time thing I wouldn't worry too much
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    YES be concerned! this is a milder sign of a food allergy which could lead to anaphalaxys which means you stop breathing and your body goes into shock. Food allergy reactions often get more severe the more often you expose yourself to the allergen. Do not eat these foods until you have seen your doctor and had allergy testing done
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    yep, that sounds like an allergic reaction.

I get that when I eat kiwi.

Although it sounds not too severe, I've *heard* it can get worse with time. I'd talk to your doctor to see if you should cut it out of your diet, or maybe small quantities will be okay.
  • Vegan_Chick
    Vegan_Chick Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I've heard of many people having reactions to the citric acid in fruits. Sounds like you might want to stay away from them. Maybe stick with berries and bananas and see if you get a reaction from them.
  • sweet110
    sweet110 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I don't have problems with fruit, but I know many people who do. Its fairly common. The lucky thing for you is that there are probably still plenty of fruits that you can eat. Folks tend to be allergic to specific fruits, but not all.

Also, fruit is good for you...but it doesn't need to be a huge, or even everyday, part of your diet. Modern fruit (with the magic of breeding) is gigantic compared to their ancestors. With a hell of a lot more sugar. So, a modest serving is fine. As long as you don't substitute something less healthy in its place, its fine to make fruit a smaller part of your diet.
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I think I'll speak to my doctor, I'm due to see him in just over a week anyway for something unrelated. I love my fruit, I think I would be miserable if I couldn't eat citrus fruits. I'd like to think I might just have sensitive/cracked lips?
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    tomatoes are a huge part of my diet, I'd hate to have to do without them.
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I think I'll speak to my doctor, I'm due to see him in just over a week anyway for something unrelated. I love my fruit, I think I would be miserable if I couldn't eat citrus fruits. I'd like to think I might just have sensitive/cracked lips?

That's why the allergy testing is a good idea. I've never heard of that kind of reaction from chapped lips, doesn't mean it's not possible. Better safe than sorry I think. Good luck to you
  • Serenavictoria
    Serenavictoria Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Oh that is no good.

I know two people who are allergic to fruit. Not certain kinds... But just fruit. Okay they can eat some fruit but are both different, one can eat bananas and the other would die, and I think one can eat blueberries while the other can't. One lives in NY (where I grew up) and one in CA (where I am currently). I thought it so strange to meet someone else with the same condition as my friend back home. Its even to the point of they can't use certain shampoos (like garnier fructesse -spell check-) because of the fruit extract in it.

So just watch what you can eat and see a doctor and get an epipen just in case.
  • mixmastermolly
    Options
    This happens to me sometimes with those particular fruits (citrusy fruits) because they are very acidic. It happens mainly when my lips are dry and chapped in the winter months. Lately I've had a lot of oranges and my lips have been swelling slightly and feeling sensitive due to the acidic fruit and dry, cracked lips. I know I don't have an allergy.
  • lboogie188
    Options
    in addition to what others have said, be very aware of any other allergies you may have and take those into consideration. Growing up I always told my mom that carrots made my throat itch and bananas made me throw up, but allergy tests said that I was not allergic to those things. Lo and behold a couple years ago we found out that my mold and ragweed allergies make my body reject certain food :/
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Lots of good suggestions so far. I just have one other: Do you have any seasonal allergies or hay fever? I have reactions to certain fruits and veggies because of pollen-food allergy syndrome. The proteins in certain produce are similar to the proteins in the pollens I am allergic to, so they cause some swelling in my lips. Mayo Clinic has a section about it in their food allergy section:
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/food-allergy/DS00082/DSECTION=symptoms

But I definitely suggest talking to your doctor. He or she can help you narrow down exactly what the issue is.