Question for Scale Chasers

Options
Hey there - I weigh everyday (it does not effect me emotionally - I'm looking at is as a way to see how what I ate/drank the day before affects my weight). My official weigh day is Thursdays and I've noticed that I tend to drop quite a bit from Thursday to Friday - Last week it was 1.5 lbs, this week it was .6 lbs. Now I didn't keep all of 1.5 off from the previous week (and that's ok, and I did keep most of it off).

Anyway it seems that I have a larger drop on Friday mornings and then I fluctuate .2 to .6 lbs up and back from there. Does this happen to anyone else - a big drop one day with maintenance for the rest of the week?

Replies

• teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    some times,With me it is to do with water retention. I would look in to your diet to see what do you habitually eat around that time that is different than the rest of the week, or what do you do over the weekend to cause you to retain water. Do you eat out or eat access sodium. It will usually take a few days for the body to get rid of the access water retention.
    It could also be due to hormonal changes, but if it has been consistent for several weeks more than 3 weeks, than it is probably dietary.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day too. Sometimes more than once a day. My weight jumps up and down, but I've noticed a certain day that it dips consistently. I don't have an official weigh in day, I only log when I lose. Even if it jumps back up, I don't log again until it drops. Except for the holiday gain. I did add those holiday lbs on, though thankfully they are almost all gone now.
  • helenkayj
    helenkayj Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Yes, it happens to me. Not only should you be paying attention to the stuff you EAT the day before but also the TYPE OF EXERCISE.
    From what I've learned, weight training and hard workouts make small "cuts" in your muscles that fill with water (hopefully if you're drinking enough water) so if you have a big workout on Wednesday nights then you might weigh more on Thursdays because of the water weight. I try and make my official weigh in day one or two days after my hard workouts or weight training days. Does that make sense?
  • LadyQueefsalot
    LadyQueefsalot Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Yes- I usually find that when I weight myself on first thing Saturday morning (I don't work out on Fridays) is when my weight tends to drop. I also weight myself Sat and Sun morning, right after my morning yoga sessions becasue they make me sweat buckets. Although I know those aren't my 'real' weights, it gives me a realistic goal, usually a pound or two, to attain by the next official weigh-in.
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Try tracking your sodium intake in your diary. Sodium leads to water retention which is a big causes of those scale fluctuations from day to day. If I have too much in day I know that the scale reading tomorrow might be a little higher then expected.
  • visiri
    visiri Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I checked my food diaries and exercise log - I don't see anything there - I guess it's just the day my body "lets go" of the weight. LOL.