School DROPS 'Cougars' as mascot after complaints derogatory

Options

Replies

• tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Cougar is not a bad word and I don't think we should be treating it that way. It's incredibly lame that we give words this much power.
  • BigCed77024
    BigCed77024 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Our school nickname are the Cougars. I just thought it was a STOOOOPID STORY!
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Are you kidding me? Some people need to get a life
  • _snw_
    _snw_ Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    reported.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    At my high school we were the rebels. I think everyone was completely oblivious to the fact that our mascot was actually Johnny Rebel a Cajun Musician from the 60's who supported the KKK and sang racist songs. One of my teachers brought my class to the cafe and pointed to a painting of a man (apparently Johnny Rebel) carrying a confederate flag (which i never noticed before) and told us about him and how f-ed up it was that that was our mascot.

Now THAT is a mascot to drop!

And no my school isn't in the Southern U.S. It is in Ontario, Canada
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    My highschool mascot was the Vikings. Some parents got up in arms about it at a school assembly because Vikings in history are known to be pillagers of coastal towns (as well as explorers).

Are we going to drop Trojans as a mascot because some idiots giggle (teehee) whenever someone says the name?
  • twanthe1
    twanthe1 Posts: 407
    Options
    Nothing wrong with Cougars!
  • kb455
    kb455 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Conan talked about this in his monologue last night. He suggested they go with the "fighting MILFs" instead.
  • capaxinfiniti
    capaxinfiniti Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I thought it was good to be considered a cougar?

Some people are just big babies.
  • gerritnking
    Options
    that is just ridiculousness