Shin splints?

Options
I've got horrible shin splits!! I need some tips on how to help cure them!

Replies

• LauraK216
    LauraK216 Posts: 104
    Options
    I've got horrible shin splits!! I need some tips on how to help cure them!
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    Freeze a dixie cup of water and then rip off the top and rub that on there for awhile, helps a lot just make sure u stick with it!

~Leash
  • LauraK216
    LauraK216 Posts: 104
    Options
    That's what I used to do when I played high school volleyball, but wasn't sure if their was any new "treatments" so to speak! Thanks!
  • simancasmk
    Options
    Invest in good sneakers!!!!!!! Don't scrimp. Buy them a little bit big no matter how gawky your foot looks in them b/c your feet swell when you exercise. And did I say SPEND THE $$$ on good sneakers??? Ever since I did, I haven't had shin splints since. :)
  • VballLeash
    VballLeash Posts: 2,456 Member
    Options
    That's what I used to do when I played high school volleyball, but wasn't sure if their was any new "treatments" so to speak! Thanks!

How funny I play volleyball too! I didn't get shin splints till I started running though, I've heard it helps to tape but you have to know the correct way so thats tough and ointment, like anti inflammatory... O and how could I forget mine went away once I got new shoes so it might be that good luck!

~Leash
  • kjbegeman
    Options
    i play soccer and i had horrible shin splints and i got this liquid magnisium calcium stuff and i take a tbsp every night . it works like a charm. you can find it for like ten dollars at any vitamin store.
  • meatball
    meatball Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    most of the time shin splints are caused by a weakness of the tibialis anterior muscle, or at the very least an imbalance between the muscles of plantar flexion (pointing the toes) and those of dorsiflexion (pulling the toes toward the knee). You can stretch the tibialis anterior muscle by hooking the toes under someting and pulling the knee toward the floor (like a ballet dancer on point). Also, you can strenthen these muscles by sitting on te floor and lifting a piece of furniture with the top of your foot for a few set of maybe 10 reps each.

Also, keeping the legs warm can help. Finally ice them and rest if they are really a bother. Really you should ice them in any case.

I coach high school track, so I deal with this on a daily basis...
  • meatball
    Options
    oh yeah, and advil before your run by about 1 hour.
  • thouse
    thouse Posts: 3
    Options
    I am not an expert, but I was given a tip that has worked for me. I take my knuckles and with pressure I run them down my leg on either side of my shins for about a minute.

I don't know the theory behind it, but a friend who was ex-military advised me to do it and it works for me anyway. It's good tip if you don't have any ice handy.
  • kimmerlyjo
    kimmerlyjo Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Being in the military and having to run no less than 2 times a week, I used to get HORRIBLE shin splints. I finally spoke with our physical therapist on base and he explained to me I was wearing the ABSOLUTE wrong kind of shoes for my foot and running style. He recommended a few pairs (and at least one week of NO running so my shins could heal properly) which I went and bought one of them and immeadiately felt the difference. It's been a year now and I haven't had shin splints since. A site I found that was extremely helpful for figuring out what shoes are good for you is Road Runner Sports...
    http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/product/shoe-dog.jsp

go to the shoe dog section and fill out the questionaire and it should get you on the right track!!!

Good Luck!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • LaLuz
    LaLuz Posts: 6
    Options
    And once you make sure you have the right sneakers..
    Try to run on a track, or grass.. when you run on concrete your more prone to shin splints because of the impact.. I personally have to run on concrete often and what i do is a shin exercise.
    where i stand and just flex the front of my foot up and than the other 20 times or more each side...
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    most of the time shin splints are caused by a weakness of the tibialis anterior muscle, or at the very least an imbalance between the muscles of plantar flexion (pointing the toes) and those of dorsiflexion (pulling the toes toward the knee). You can stretch the tibialis anterior muscle by hooking the toes under someting and pulling the knee toward the floor (like a ballet dancer on point). Also, you can strenthen these muscles by sitting on te floor and lifting a piece of furniture with the top of your foot for a few set of maybe 10 reps each.

Also, keeping the legs warm can help. Finally ice them and rest if they are really a bother. Really you should ice them in any case.

I coach high school track, so I deal with this on a daily basis...

Actually the most common cause is flat feet or over pronation in the ankle/foot. Do you have flat feet by any chance?? If you do, you should look into getting some sort of custom orthotic insert made or possibly look into shoes like New Balances that have a REALLY good arch support in them.

Advil and ice are a great combo, as well as the ice massage. It will help a lot!
  • meatball
    Options
    it has been my experience that most individuals with splints are not flat footed or overpronators, so i'll agree to disagree on the cause, but the exercise and treatments i recommended do work so you should give them a shot. Over-striding is a common causetoo, maybe shorten your forward reach on your stride?