Figuring out serving sizes is making me want to break things

Options
12346»

Replies

• MummyOfSeven
    MummyOfSeven Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    A stick of butter is 1/2 cup.

That still doesn't tell us how much it weighs, which is pretty much the debate.
    Someone quoted: 1 stick = 1/2 cup = 4oz = (approx) 113g.

I can't measure solid butter in cups. What am I supposed to do....mash it in til it fits?
    This measuring in cups thing is so hit and miss.
    *hugs scales fondly* :love:
  • jmuhnie
    jmuhnie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    One stick of butter out of my fridge weighs 111 grams, 114 with the wrapper. So 1/2 cup is approximately 111 grams, 110 g for rounders. Now I hope the wife doesn't figure out I pretty much wasted a stick of butter messing around. :-)
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    That definitely looks like 2-3oz of cheese. :P I WISH that was only 110 calories but it couldn't be as a simple cheese stick which is less cheese then that is 80 calories.

I think your scale is wonky or I've been screwing myself over for awhile. :mad:

There's nothing wrong with my scale. What's wrong are the units of measurement they're choosing to use for this crap. If it's not liquid, it shouldn't go in measuring cups. I would have to use a hydraulic press to get this 28g of cheese to fit in this damn cup. (okay, so I could probably do it by hand, but it would take quite a bit of effort)

And I understand the suggestion to "err on the side of caution" and just use the cup, but then I'm ingesting HALF the nutrients that I intended to, if indeed the weight is what equals the 110 calories. Why would I want to mark down 1/4 cup of cheese as 110 calories if it's only 50?

I guess what it boils down to is me just venting at this point. Whoever decided that solid objects should be measured in cups instead of by weight should be shot. I guess that concludes my case. Thanks for tuning in, everyone.

The use of cups as a measure is historic. Early cookery books give all measurements in cups, because everyone had access to a cup, very few, if any, people had scales. I'm not sure why America has hung onto this way of measuring, but all the US cookbooks I have I've 'converted' the cups to weight. It's far more accurate.

And I wouldn't take much notice of 'serving sugestions' 'cause thats all they are, sugestions.:smile: