Plastic Surgery

Options
I have lost almost 80 lbs from my heaviest (which was just a few years ago). I lost the last 65 lbs really quickly over about 7 months. I've been able to maintain and lose a little more (slowly).
I'm pretty happy with my weight and fitness. With clothes on, I look pretty good. However, without clothes, my skin is sagging, bad! My breasts are so deflated. I'm thinking about a Mommy Makeover, but I doubt I could afford it now.

So my question is, has anyone had any success with skin firming creams and lotions (like those containing caffeine)? The caffeine makes some sense to me because it is a vasoconstrictor.

Has anyone had a Mommy Makeover, or at least a abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) or breast lift? What area of the country do you live in, and how much did it cost?

If you don't feel like answering these questions on here, I'd like to get a PM from you if you'll share.

Thanks.

My confidence is somewhat better after all this weight loss, but the flab and skin sagging really bothers me, especially during intimate times with my husband.

Replies

• ojell
    ojell Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that got a tummy tuck, but it was mostly covered by her health insurance. I think she only wound up paying like $1,000.
  • Ruchell
    Ruchell Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    From my personal experience of trying a ton of products on the market that are supposed to tighten/firm skin, none of them have worked well enough to be worth the money I've spent on them. My skin is very stretched and sagging from pregnancy/weightloss. I lost 60lbs over the course of a year. I've pretty much decided that once I am done having kiddos I will get a mommy makeover, barring some drastic change of heart.

I live near Seattle and for a good surgeon, a full tummy tuck and breast augmentation will cost me around $10,000.
  • Tofteberg
    Tofteberg Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    About 13 years ago I got into great shape but couldn't loose my stomach. I had a tummy tuck and breast augmentation. I loved it and felt great in and out of clothes. Fast forward those 13 years and here I am needing to loose 50 lbs. I bet my skin will be lose. I say go for it if you can afford it but remember if you don't stick with the lifestyle change and treat this like a diet. You will be seeing it back. I don't mean to be a downer!! I will say if I had it to do over, I would do it again
  • Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I have not done the creams but I did do laser skin tightening in the past. That was before I weighed 151 though and it was for stretch marks. It did work! It didn't remove them but it definitely tightened up the loose skin a little and faded the marks a little. I got it done again but I have too much loose skin now so it's still there :( I think a tummy tuck around here is around $6,000. I wish I could get one although I don't have a pooch or anything, just sagging skin when I bend over :( I still see my stretch marks too and I was told that the only way to really remove them is to get a tummy tuck. I will send you a PM also.
  • MariaAlbinaxoxo
    MariaAlbinaxoxo Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I'm receiving a lift (only one side though) next month and it's costing me $1500. But that's because I already had a breast augmentation a few months back and so they gave me a discount. I live in PA.
  • reese0816
    Options
    Hi
    I work for a cosmetic surgeon. We see many patients who have lost weight and come to us for redundant skin. You are a great candidate for body contouring. You are exactly the ideal patient for the procedure. Liposuction and abdominoplasty are not for weight loss, it is for body contouriing. Excess skin removal of fat. It always surprises our patients when they loose very little weight. One of my favorite patients is like yourself. They took the bull by the horn, lost weight and now need to rid their body of excess skin. You will be amazed at the results. Just make sure you meet personally with your surgery, that he is born certified, ask him how many of these procedures he has done. You need to feel completely confident in his/her abilities. If you feel that the consult is hurried, or he/she is not listening to your concerns, fears, goals, see another physician. We have free consults, which last around a hour. My physician sits with the patient and explain benefits, risk, complications, post op recovery etc. Then we do a physical exam, take measurements let them know how much we anticipate on removing, then take preop pictures. After the consult our patient care manager will set up a cost. This differs depending on how long the surgery last. Most physicians charge one set fee however the surgery centers, hospitals and anesthesia fees very. This is where they actually pay the most. The longer the procedure the longer the cost for the hospital and anesthesia. Good luck.
  • LaurenJn83
    Options
    Thanks for the inside information. I guess if I go in for a consult, it can't hurt anything. In your experience, do any insurance companies ever cover for body contouring? I might just have to win the lottery or something to be able to afford it (or at least a large scratch off!)
  • MrsSanthoff
    MrsSanthoff Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Bump! I want to know more too!!!
  • mirgss
    mirgss Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Lauren,
    I just had a coworker who had an abdominoplasty, and she is also getting a breast reduction/lift. I believe her insurance covered a good portion of it. She was also going to get her legs done - insurance wouldn't cover that, and I believe it was about $3000 for both. I live in MI.

CONGRATULATIONS on your fantastic weight loss!
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    It depends how old you are. Young skin tends to go back to shape more easily. Pregnancy leaves some stretch marks and a few wrinkles, but most people go back mostly to their original size.

If your skin is so heavy it's pulling itself down under its own weight, you may want some supportive garment to counteract that.

Anyone who has worked with people with paralysis knows that if you don't constantly stretch tissues, they rapidly contract to a snugger size.