Heart Rate Monitors

Options
2»

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    That's exactly my problem!!! It's crazy. The timex is saying I'm burning 2x the cals anything else is. I've checked all the reviews and no one mentioned anything like that.

A lot of Amazon mention that the calorie count is insane.. Esp for the 30 dollar one that seems to be popular thanks to Consumer Reports

Do you're self a favor and get a Polar.. You'll save a lot of headache and time.
  • Civictuner95
    Options
    I've been using a Mio Energy Pro for several months now. I like the flexibility of being able to use the chest strap during workouts or touch the bezel for instant readings anytime. I also like being able to plug in your personal data and have it monitor whether you below/in/above your target heart rate. The only downside I've had with it is that the watch face isn't glass so it does get scuffed up if you wear it daily. I've found Amazon to have the cheapest prices in general. Found a deal on mine on www.woot.com. Hope this is helpful!
  • lynzt16
    lynzt16 Posts: 48
    Options
    Polar FT60! Love it!
  • eddyca
    eddyca Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I use a Garmin HRM1G using the ANT+ receiver through the digifit app on my iPhone. I love it because I can put my phone down while I'm working and and it will still receive the signal from up to 9ft away. I also love the detailed color coded charts that show you which HR zone you were in and for how long.
  • PrfctGdess
    Options
    I have a Timex. It works fine and I have had no issues . I have had it since June 2011.

The Polars are the most popular, but I couldn't afford that. :) I have a Timex T5G971 from Amazon - been using it since March 2011 and I love it! You can set it to show you either BPM or % of Max HR while you work out (whichever you prefer), and afterward it shows you time exercised, time in your "zone" (you define your zone), low HR, high HR, and cals burned. So plenty of info to work with, but not overwhelmingly so IMO
  • beeblebrox82
    beeblebrox82 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Timex is a disaster. DO NOT BUY. I have to factor all it's calorie counts by 2/3 to reflect actual burn. Conversations with Timex prove they have no interest in fixing, or even acknowledging the problem. It's a shame because I really like the watch and it's features, but the calorie burn is a trainwreck. Look elsewhere for your HRM needs!!
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7, but the FT4 is probably just as good, the FT7 just saves more workouts and has a couple extra features, but I think it's not worth the extra $25. Check out your local REI or D ic ks Sportings Goods, they will both price match each other.

However, Costco has the BodyMedia Fit arm band devices on sale right now, both the regular and the bluetooth model. If you don't care about actually knowing your HEART RATE, but just want to know calories burned and activity, then I suggest this. You might check with your local store to see if they have it, otherwise, they have it on the website. I have a friend who has the Body Bug (same thing) and he LOVES it, he's lost like 50lbs with it.
  • lostsanity137
    lostsanity137 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 with a chest strap and it is pretty awesome. It does what I want it to. It tells me my heart rate, when I am in my "zone" and calories burned. I think it does more than that but I haven't gone out of my way to check them out. The manual says you can even use it to swim! Which is exciting for summer! It was about $60 on Amazon.com which I think was a good price.
  • LiveEnjoyEndure
    LiveEnjoyEndure Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4, and it's FANTASTIC!

^^^^ just started using a Polar FT4 and I concur ;-)
  • LiveEnjoyEndure
    LiveEnjoyEndure Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I just got a Polar FT4 in Pink. LOVE IT!
    It does everything i need it to and i can use it in the pool.

did not know you could use the FT4 in the pool ???
  • Danpellizzari
    Options
    I use the Garmin Forerunner 110. It also helps with my running. It's great since it helps with calculating calories burned.
  • amerrill1
    Options
    I got the FT60 for Christmas. I read this blog (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472) and it guided me to products that I thought would be more accurate (VO2 issues). Anyway, I have only had it a short time, but it seems very easy to work with and has a few advanced features. I mostly ride my bike and it has the ability to add a GPS sensor and a foot pod if I choose to in the future. Polar is by far rated the best and so far I haven't been dissappointed. Got it on ebay for around $120 (I think). Good luck!
  • lostemt76
    lostemt76 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and I love it. So easy to use. Watch for deals on Amazon! Thats where I got mine

Me to love it.
  • SwtKittN
    SwtKittN Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Haha this post just reminded me I forgot to take my chest strap off after my walk :) Thank you XD

Mine's a ft60, it was like 130$, but the earlier versions are cheaper :) Love mine, I'd be lost without it, great motivation seeing those number burns makes me want to do more to see the numbers rise
  • caitlinsmum
    caitlinsmum Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I also have a Polar FT4 (got it off e-bay) and it is so easy to use (and update when you lose weight -- to ensure it continues to calculate calories burnt accurately.)
  • MummyOfSeven
    MummyOfSeven Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Confused. What is the difference between the Polar FT range and the Polar RS range??
    Even more lost since I started searching :huh: