Smaller waist, bigger cup size?

Options
As I approach the halfway mark for my weight loss goals, I am noticing something different in my body shape. I have gone from a 38-40 C to a 36 D in my bra size. Now I'm not complaining, but in the past when I have lost a large amount of weight, my chest is usually the first think to shrink. Not this time! I'm wondering if any other women out there have had a similar experience. Not sure why it would be this way other than I'm older and I'm staying hydrated with at least 8 glasses of water a day. Somewhat confused?!?

Replies

• sweetNsassy2584
    sweetNsassy2584 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    You have to be the exception to every women out there.
  • aNEWuNme
    Options
    I don't know how that happenned...but I'm definately going to be drinking my 8 glasses of water a day!!!!
  • Savagegirlt
    Options
    Lucky lucky you!! Very much the exception, and glad you're not complaining. Once explanation would be your cup size is based on the difference between your rib cage measurement (38-36 in your case) and the measurement over the top of the breasts (under arm pits, over the upper part). It seems you lost your 'back fat' and not your 'front fat'
    Super cool for you!
  • _Kitten_Kate
    _Kitten_Kate Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Hi! congrats!
    Are you using weights when working out?
    Previously ...in my early 20's...when I worked out alot and was cute and hot, My boobs changed. They lifted up and got rounder... perky...which can make the bra change.
    I think bra makers are evil. Per the sizing info you find anywhere I should be wearing a 40DD OR a 42F. I would be floating around in either. I wear a 40D in most brands....as of right now. Some I wear a C cup.
    I would assume it's your workout if you are doing any back, chest exercises... chest press, flies, lat pull down, push ups, rows... etc...
    Hope it helps...
  • lowerbsnow
    lowerbsnow Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Is it the same brand? Brands definitely vary!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I didn't go up in cup size but I've stayed the same-- usually when I lose weight I go down to a B cup but this time I stayed a C-- just take the blessing and go with it :)
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    If you previously had any back fat/rolls that are now smaller or have disappeared, that accounts for the band size getting smaller. Technically a 38C breast is pretty close to the size of a 36D breast (there is some difference but not huge), the difference is in the band measurement and the band measurement takes back pudge/rolls into account. So really your breasts have probably not changed that much, but you've lost fat in less desireable places that changed your band measurement, and your cup size is based off of your band measurement. If your band measurement gets smaller and your cup size stays the same or gets smaller, then your breasts actually decreased in size. If your band measurement gets smaller but your cup size got larger, it may be that your breasts didn't really change very much while the other areas did.

I wear a 34DD but sometimes I have to buy a 36D bra when 34DD is not available - the actual cup on the bra is very very similar even though looking at the bigger number and smaller cup you'd think it would be really different. The difference is the 36D doesn't fit my ribcage quite as snugly as I would like, yet the cup is very close to the cup in my 34DD.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Your cup size is calculated as the number of inches from your actual chest.

Your older measurements: 40 in across your chest, 43 inches including your breast = 40 C (The three inch difference is a C cup)

New measurements: 36 in across your chest, 40 inches including your breast = 36 D (The 4 inch difference is a D cup)

You actually did lose some boob
  • CVALGAL
    CVALGAL Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Is it the same brand? Brands definitely vary!
    I have tried out several brands to be sure this was really real, and it's a 36 D every time. I'm just baffled! LOL.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Your cup size is calculated as the number of inches from your actual chest.

Your older measurements: 40 in across your chest, 43 inches including your breast = 40 C (The three inch difference is a C cup)

New measurements: 36 in across your chest, 40 inches including your breast = 36 D (The 4 inch difference is a D cup)

You actually did lose some boob

This exactly. My cup size ALWAYS goes up when I lose weight, at least initially. I did go so far from a 42F to a 38 or 40E so far. So that's nice LOL.
  • Heidi_Edgi
    Heidi_Edgi Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm happy to say, I'm the same way! Nor am I complaining. I've lost about 20lbs and went from a 36 D to a 34 DD. I'm so grateful. My family and friends tell me how lucky I am To have kept these monsters and I truly am :-)
  • jdhosier
    jdhosier Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Are you pregnant?
  • ojell
    ojell Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Wow! Lucky dawg! Wish that would happen to ME!
  • Zombriana
    Zombriana Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    When I first lost a significant amount of weight poor boobies went from a 36C down to a 34B. They were saggy and sad and i hated them. That was me going from 153 down to 121. I was running almost everyday and they weight lost was fairly quick.

Well. this go around, i went from 159 and am currently at 130 [althought last summer i was at 128] and I've gone from a 36D down to a 34 D. I don't run. I wonder if thats what did it for me?
  • luvmybaby333
    Options
    Cup size doesn't necessarily determine how large your breasts are. It just determines how large your breasts are in comparison to the rest of your body. A size 36 DD breast is going to be significantly smaller than a size 44 DD breast-- even though the cup size is the "same". So if you have a lot of breast tissue, even if it's shrinking, the rest of your body might be shrinking faster in comparison. So the difference between your bust measurement and your band measurement is going to become more dramatic. Thus equaling a jump up in cup size as you move down in band sizes.
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Okay, so obviously you haven't lost fat on your breasts. Sizing for bras follows the principle that cup sizes for say... a 30 D are significantly smaller than cup sizes for a 36 D, think allometry, if it helps.

So, I am a size 30 DD, which is roughly the same as a 34 B in the cups give or take (I know this because victoria's secret tried to stick me in the 34 B for ages). So it's not that you gained a breast tissue, it's that you lost inches around your waist, right. It does feel snazzy to say that you're a DD or something like that, but anyone worth their salt knows that your DD's are not the same as say those folks that have DD as big as your head!

Also, proper sizing makes all the difference for those of use with unusual sizes. I honestly thought I had strange breasts because despite three (yes three) sizings over the course of a few years, I couldn't fit into my bras. A specialty shop fitted me and suddenly I fit my bras like I was made for them :D
  • CVALGAL
    CVALGAL Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Are you pregnant?

LOL! Nope! I'm through with my baby making years. and THANKS EVERYONE for your input. What you're saying makes a whole lot of sense!
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    The ladies who have explains how band vs cup size are measured explained it perfectly.
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    i went from 40 C/D to a 36 D/DD. weird i thought too. i was not going to complain either. plus because of me lifting weights, they have lifted up some and look bigger.
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Yep....I lost 50+ lbs and went from a 38 small B to a 34 C almost D It was quite odd I actually asked her to measure me twice because I was in shock