tofu lovers only

Options
I bought some firm Tofu from the produce Dept at Wal-mart today.
The only thing I know about it is that it will take on the flavor of what you cook with it. I know its a protein and its low cal and good for you.
That is ALL I know. Could you help me use this up in some easy recipies to help me get started. Thank you :flowerforyou:
Debbie

Replies

• SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I get the extra firm tofu, since it's easier to work with. I cut it into cubes and saute it in a pan until it's a golden color on each side. Then, depending on my mood, I'll do one of the following...

- add a tiny bit of sesame oil, some soy sauce, and a bunch of steamed veggies
    - boil up some Pad Thai noodles, add some of the Trader Joe's red Thai sauce in the jar, and add more steamed veggies
    - add powdered garlic, onion, and other dried spices while it cooks.

There's an indian grocery store that I shop at. They have these lil boxes of seasoning (Shah brand is good) for making things like Butter Chicken and Chicken Tikka. I'll cook up up the tofu, as above, then marinate the cooked pieces per the instructions on the little box of spice, and cook it. Sometimes I'll just marinate it without browning. Makes it a bit spicier. If you like spicy food, this is a great way for making the tofu taste like something yummy.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I get the extra firm tofu, since it's easier to work with. I cut it into cubes and saute it in a pan until it's a golden color on each side. Then, depending on my mood, I'll do one of the following...

- add a tiny bit of sesame oil, some soy sauce, and a bunch of steamed veggies
    - boil up some Pad Thai noodles, add some of the Trader Joe's red Thai sauce in the jar, and add more steamed veggies
    - add powdered garlic, onion, and other dried spices while it cooks.

There's an indian grocery store that I shop at. They have these lil boxes of seasoning (Shah brand is good) for making things like Butter Chicken and Chicken Tikka. I'll cook up up the tofu, as above, then marinate the cooked pieces per the instructions on the little box of spice, and cook it. Sometimes I'll just marinate it without browning. Makes it a bit spicier. If you like spicy food, this is a great way for making the tofu taste like something yummy.
    I do like spicy food. Thank you for the suggestion. I saw that they had extra firm and soft so I got the middle of the road one, firm. Thank you for the suggestions.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Ah yes, my dear! Tofu is actually one of my fav things to make. You can put it in any stir-fry recipe in place of chicken and it's pretty good. I also like mine in soups and bakes. Here's a basic stir fry:

1 block tofu
    favorite stir fry sauce (I like teriyaki)
    broccoli
    mushrooms
    vegetable oil

Heat oil in the pan with some garlic and ginger. Chop your tofu into bite-sized pieces and add it to the hot oil. I like to give it a few minutes to get the water out before adding anything else. Add your chopped vegetables and cover the pan. Steam the mix for a few minutes, just until your vegetables are cooked. Now add your stir fry sauce, making sure it gets into all your tofu.

HTH