HRM ?

Options
This may be a stupid ? but when trying to lose weight is it better to stay in your fat burning zone or your cardio zone? I know that Intervals are great but just not certain what I should aim for when I am wearing the HRM?

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    ignore zones. the harder you work the more calories you burn the more you lose. Plus working harder is better for your heart and athleticism.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    This may be a stupid ? but when trying to lose weight is it better to stay in your fat burning zone or your cardio zone? I know that Intervals are great but just not certain what I should aim for when I am wearing the HRM?

If you only have a set period of time for your workout, and you are not training for an endurance event over 3-4 hrs, the higher cardio zone the better.

The quantity of fat calories burned will be about the same, but the overall calories will of course be higher.

The correct statement that is often misunderstood is "you'll burn a higher percentage of fat in the lower zone".

And while that is true, it is only because you are burning more calories at higher level and therefore the same fat calories is lower percentage.

So take your pick of 30 min you have to workout.

slow and 300 cal total. 150 cal from fat.
    fast and 500 cal total. 150 cal from fat.

And I'm only getting into this level of explanation because it is not a stupid question, it is perpetually stated and explained incorrectly.
    Our spin instructor does it before every class to explain why these 2 months is being done in the endurance zone.