To lose 50 lbs in 5 months

Options
13»

Replies

• juls262
    juls262 Posts: 41
    Options
    You're weight loss is a journey, you have to give your body time. If you continue like this, you're only setting yourself up to fail. With the calorie deficit you're creating, your body will probably go into starvation mode and retain any and all weight it can.
    Not to mention-what are you planning on doing after the 5 months? Are you going to be on this type of diet for the rest of your life? You lose in an unhealthy way and then go back to a regular diet, you'll gain everything back. You have to keep in mind that you're not just losing weight, you're changing to a healthy lifestyle. Repeat- lifestyle! Make it a lifestyle you can actually live with!

That being said, your body is your body, everyone's will be different. But make sure you're listening to it.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    MyFitnessPal strongly recommends that users follow the calorie guidelines automatically assigned by the site, unless they are under the direct supervision of a doctor.

As has been pointed out by numerous posters, what you are attempting is likely to be counter productive in the long term and I would strongly urge you to reconsider your goals.

CatCrazy
    MyFitnessPal Forum Moderator
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    WOW. Nice to meet you. The 1st MFP moderator I see any of the posts I've read up to know. Rara avis.:smile:
    MyFitnessPal strongly recommends that users follow the calorie guidelines automatically assigned by the site, unless they are under the direct supervision of a doctor.

As has been pointed out by numerous posters, what you are attempting is likely to be counter productive in the long term and I would strongly urge you to reconsider your goals.

CatCrazy
    MyFitnessPal Forum Moderator
  • DrNicoleRed
    DrNicoleRed Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Give us some stats.
    Actual weight. Starting weight.
    What workouts/cadio for how long.
    Open up your diary.

Do not expect to get realistic answers if you don't ask realistic questions.
    So let's see what you've got.

Agree with OPENING UP YOUR DIARY for feedback on small changes on your diet (or congrats when you've made good choices), and that it is hard for anyone to make reasonable recs without the data the person I've quoted suggests. Because you want aggressive weight loss, I think you should revisit involving a weight loss MD for guidance! As I've shared with you, the MFP estimations for my BMR were about 200 calories above my measured (by indirect calorimetry) BMR. So yes, perhaps the MFP estimations may be inaccurate for you, but I would not advise making adjustments without a formal measurement so you are working with real numbers rather than guessing. Furthermore, since you are newly vegan, I think you need the guidance of a nutritionist to be sure you are meeting your nutritional needs in the setting of caloric nutrition.

You NEVER want your calorie deficit to be too far below your BMR. I agree with many posters that for the amount you are exercising that 1200 on those days may not be adequate your metabolism will slow to compensate...you'll still lose weight but MUCH slower which is exactly opposite of what you are trying to achieve.

Love, your MFP and real friend ;)
  • Peachoid
    Peachoid Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Wow, I got more replies than expected. I am doing this under the supervision of a clinical dietician and I am with 'crazy' I do not mean drastic, desperate or rash.
    I agree that it is easier to lose faster if the weight is higher and then the wt loss slows down.
    I have a wide range of opinions here. Whatever I do is a lifestyle not a fad diet or burst of over reaching ambition.
    I have given my body the time to adjust and have not lost anything in a hurry.
    I am concerned about the damage caused by exhaustion and low cal intake. I hope to never do that to myself, hence I am here and talking to people pursuing healthy weight loss, quite like myself.
    Guess I will give it more time, but what is a loss without a goal.

Thanks again.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    WOW. Nice to meet you. The 1st MFP moderator I see any of the posts I've read up to know. Rara avis.:smile:

Nice to meet you too.

We post, if its not in an official capacity we don't advertise and sign...kind of makes us thread killers! In this instance there were a few reports expressing concern so I was wearing my mod hat!

@abhikale - glad youre seeking some professional advice
  • babebabeba
    Options
    Wow, I got more replies than expected. I am doing this under the supervision of a clinical dietician and I am with 'crazy' I do not mean drastic, desperate or rash.
    I agree that it is easier to lose faster if the weight is higher and then the wt loss slows down.
    I have a wide range of opinions here. Whatever I do is a lifestyle not a fad diet or burst of over reaching ambition.
    I have given my body the time to adjust and have not lost anything in a hurry.
    I am concerned about the damage caused by exhaustion and low cal intake. I hope to never do that to myself...
    Thanks again.

The thing to remember is that a lifestyle is for LIFE. It's for the days you're super sick and need to cut the workout. It's for years and years from now. It's a 'for good' sort of level. Do you want to be flat-out running for two or three hours a day, every day for the rest of your life? What if you get honestly busy? What if someone at work brings in the most delicious cookies ever?

It is very clear that you are really focused and dedicated, that's amazingly good - but weight loss is not about forcing your body it's about working with it. You will lose weight more effectively by eating enough calories to fuel your body. If you've done the super low thing for a whole, eating enough to fuel you may look like a 'backslide' for a little - but it will come back off, and better now than later.

Take away your 1060 for exercise and you are giving yourself the same number of calories for everything else your body needs through the day as you would have received in a concentration camp like Auschwitz. It is not enough. Honestly? If that is what your nutritionist/dietician told you to eat, if I were you I would fire them, and report them to whatever licensing agency they are certified through. That is FAR from healthy!!
  • ansinclair8
    ansinclair8 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    As of January 24 I will have been living a new lifestyle for five months. I am down 47lbs as of last Monday, so by my five month mark I expect to be at 49lbs. Depending on how much you have to lose, it is possible to safely lose 50lbs in 5 months. However, you say that you are willing to do anything. You need to have the right mindset. I realized that I'm worth so much more than I gave myself credit for and I deserved to be healthy and happy with my body. I eat 1200 calories a day except for one day a week where I go over and have one meal where I eat the food I'm craving. I exercise 3-4 times a week. I have found journaling my food and exercise on MFP has been a wonderful tool as well as all the friends who are here to motivate you. I know that how I'm losing this weight is healthy. I can live the rest of my life eating and exercising this way. It's not a fad diet. If you do whatever it takes to lose the 50lbs in that time and you do it in an unhealthy way, you are just going to gain it back. Please, please do it the healthy way. If you don't lose the weight as fast, don't obsess over it. You can do this!
  • mom2jjl
    Options
    As of January 24 I will have been living a new lifestyle for five months. I am down 47lbs as of last Monday, so by my five month mark I expect to be at 49lbs. Depending on how much you have to lose, it is possible to safely lose 50lbs in 5 months. However, you say that you are willing to do anything. You need to have the right mindset. I realized that I'm worth so much more than I gave myself credit for and I deserved to be healthy and happy with my body. I eat 1200 calories a day except for one day a week where I go over and have one meal where I eat the food I'm craving. I exercise 3-4 times a week. I have found journaling my food and exercise on MFP has been a wonderful tool as well as all the friends who are here to motivate you. I know that how I'm losing this weight is healthy. I can live the rest of my life eating and exercising this way. It's not a fad diet. If you do whatever it takes to lose the 50lbs in that time and you do it in an unhealthy way, you are just going to gain it back. Please, please do it the healthy way. If you don't lose the weight as fast, don't obsess over it. You can do this!

THIS is inspiring! :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!