This is kind of funny.

Options
The man I sit next to at work asked we where I was going when I I got to work today. I said "What do you mean, I just got here?"
Then he said "well you disappear a little bit more each week and I just wondered where you were going."

On a sadder note some of my overweight work buddies are avoiding me and when I am around they avoid talking about dieting or trying to loose weight. :(

Replies

• dragonfly183
    dragonfly183 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    The man I sit next to at work asked we where I was going when I I got to work today. I said "What do you mean, I just got here?"
    Then he said "well you disappear a little bit more each week and I just wondered where you were going."

On a sadder note some of my overweight work buddies are avoiding me and when I am around they avoid talking about dieting or trying to loose weight. :(
  • Teria
    Teria Posts: 36
    Options
    My mom and i were just talking about this! About how in the workplace there is a pressure to eat how everyone else eats and neglect your body! It's like this whole group movement where everyone eats and is comfortable but when someone challenges it, there is a backlash.

All I can say is don't give up, it may be discouraging but being a Leader and Leading by example is most important.

Good Luck(and may you keep disappearing every week, lol)!
  • NathanEHarvey
    Options
    Same thing with some members of my family, but after a while my influence started having effect on their lives. You know you're being an influence, and have pure motives so keep it up.:smile:
  • storyteller
    Options
    I've encountered the same thing. People bring in candy, baked goods, etc. almost every day and seem hurt if you don't partake. I just smile and say maybe later. I don't talk about my weight loss or excercise anymore, not even much when asked because it makes some of my workmates uncomfortable. I only work part time, so that makes it easier.
  • mnichol
    mnichol Posts: 642
    Options
    I have the same issue at work, in my department is about 6 women all over 200 lbs, they eat cookies, etc all day plus breakfast and lunch. They constantly make fun of me, call me the "skinny blond" and try to get me to eat whatever is brought in. I try not to let it get under my skin and have to bite my tongue. :grumble: I wish they would leave me along, I don't make remarks about their behavior, oh well. :noway:
  • megancolleen
    Options
    The girls at work like actually make fun of me for eating healthy! They are like what you eating today a banana? Its really mean! I have never been really close to them but still to make fun of me for eating healthy! They are mostly over-weight and eat fast food and bring it back to the office dailey! I explain to them I am trying to save money and don't really say much about trying to loose weight! I dunno... Girls will be girls I guess
  • bluebell81
    Options
    I have to say that despite some of the negative feedback others have received, everyone where I work tends to eat healthy, even better than me sometimes! That helps a lot. What doesn't help is the fact that my fiance has the perfect body, and I do mean perfect, no fat, sixpack abs, etc. But he loves me how I am and has been super supportive and starting working out with me. We've decided it's not about losing weight but being healthy, because I actually eat better than he does. He just happens to be one of those guys that has eaten whatever they've wanted to their whole lives and not gained a pound!
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    When I first started watching what I was eating and exercising some of the people around me seemed uncomfortable with it and sometimes made some unwelcome comments. But for the most part, as time has gone on, and they are seeing that I am dedicated to it and that it is working, they have become really supportive. And several of them are now eating healthier and leading more active lives themselves. My manager went to the gym with me when we were in Calgary for work just because I was going -- yeah peer pressure! And some of my other coworkers now regularly ask me if I am going to the gym after work, etc.

Give them some time. Your coworkers may come around. And if not, than it is their loss.:wink:
  • bluebell81
    Options
    And to everyone else having trouble at work, don't even think twice about those girls, just imagine how much better you'll look in that bikini this summer than they will!
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I have had nothing but encouragement. My husband is on MFP with me. My kids notice the difference and my brothers are both very positive. At work, while people around me do eay a lot of junk, they all encourage me and say they wish they had my willpower!

There is always chocolate in the office somewhere and I have asked them to lie to me and say there is none if I ask. So far, they have been great about lying to me :smile:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    :laugh: Sounds like a cheesy line my best guy friend would lay on me. Heck yeah for him saying that to you though!!!

Don't talk weight or food with them. Talk anything else... weather, spring, sports (March Madness woohoo!!), economy... Try to understand they are dealing with a twinge of jealousy, no matter how happy they are for you. Hard to deal with those conflicting emotions.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue at work, in my department is about 6 women all over 200 lbs, they eat cookies, etc all day plus breakfast and lunch. They constantly make fun of me, call me the "skinny blond" and try to get me to eat whatever is brought in. I try not to let it get under my skin and have to bite my tongue. :grumble: I wish they would leave me along, I don't make remarks about their behavior, oh well. :noway:

Can we say 'hostile work environment'? :noway:
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Take the compliments with a smile and don't let the jealous ones get to you!

I'm pretty lucky, because of the guys that works with me used to be a bodybuilder and he still eats healthy & works out a lot. He used to tease me every now and then, but it was always good-natured. One of the other guys still eats nothing but junk all the time, and always asks me if I want something when he goes out to get lunch. We used to have a standing rule, that even if I said I didn't want anything, he was required to bring back an order of fries! Well, no more of that, but he's been pretty good about understanding! It kind of grosses me out to see all the junk he eats every day, but I guess that's good, because at least I'm not tempted! He did want to leave early the other day, and asked if he could bribe me with chocolate. I told him I'd be happy to accept a Hershey's Special Dark bar. :wink:
  • cdkmlt
    cdkmlt Posts: 6
    Options
    I must be lucky I have great support where I work. People are walking and trying to eat healthier. I do work in a Laboratory and get to see the effects of bad health everyday and its an incentive for us who work there. It is nice when you haven't seen someone in a while and they stop you and ask wow how much weight have you lost. Just keep on doing what your doing and know that if they could see what their habits were doing to the inside they would be grossed out and hit the diet trail like you.
  • BombolinaM
    BombolinaM Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Keep up the good work!! Very few men are that honest.

If other people are jealous. I say so be it. You are making the effort to improve your health and overall well being. In the end you're going to feel fantastic!! :)
  • johnblake
    johnblake Posts: 661
    Options
    welcome to the darkside together we will rule the universe :bigsmile:
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Keep up the great work and don't let those women bother you, they are just jealous I guess.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!