So hard to exercise with bad knees

Options
I am finding out quite quickly that I am very limited in what I can do. We bought a treadmill and I walk on it every day for 2 to 2.5 miles but I am trying the 30 day shred and am finding it very difficult because of my knees. Anyone know of something besides the treadmill that I could do that would not be so bad for my knees?

Replies

• atlantapiper
    atlantapiper Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    It sounds weird, but spin bike can be better.
  • atlantapiper
    atlantapiper Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 3 of the 30 day shred :)
  • nicolina823
    nicolina823 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    My physical therapist for my knee, said to only use a stationary bike. Never to use an eliptical again and not to use treadmills. If I'm going to walk it should be outside with a brace.
  • Slimmasaurus
    Slimmasaurus Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Swimming! I had problems with my knees, and my physiotherapist told me to swim instead of going for a run/using the treadmill. It's super low impact on your joints, and a full body work out!
  • happyme67
    Options
    Swimming. I have knee injuries and I feel swimming gives you an all over work out plus it takes some of the pressure off your knees and you get really good results plus a swimmers physique. Awesome!
  • Smiler106
    Smiler106 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    If my knees are hurting on the treadmill I put the incline up to 1 - 2% and it makes it a little softer on the knees.
  • ZombieSlayer
    ZombieSlayer Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    It depends on what is wrong with your knees.

I have arthritis in knees and hips, am post-ACL repair on the right knee (genetic anomaly), and post broken knee cap on the left knee (fell on slippery surface while walking).

I do Insanity, Turbofire, BBL, ride my elliptical and lift weights. Some things I have to modify.

Therefore... do your some research, then talk to your doctor/physical therapist (for they aren't necessarily up to date on all research). Then decide what the best exercises are for you.
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    i have bad knees but can run no problem, it actually makes it better...i only have trouble on sumo squats with your knees turned out...look up knee exercises on youtube, it might help. exercise made my knees way stronger
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posts.... Cycling, swimming, trail walking.... Look into modified moves for squats and lunges too. Hopefully as you build strength the other things will become more tolerable.
  • jojowack
    jojowack Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My husband has problems with that too. The elliptical is great since it is a fluid motion and it still gets the heart pumping. Maybe you could do a trade for one on Craigslist or the classifieds? You could also try a rowing machine, stair stepper, spin bike, etc. Videos may still work for you - just find ones that don't work the knees hard. 30 day shred has some pretty intense moves. There are other videos out there that may not work your knees as hard and still give you a good workout.
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    I use a stationary bike a lot, but it is important to incorporate work with weights into your regime for a range of reasons. I use dvds at home, and for weight training there are usually only one or two exercises my knees don't cope with. I sit them out but get on with the rest and I'm managing fine now.
  • MarilynC1956
    MarilynC1956 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I agree with the people who suggested the stationary bicycle. My physical therapist even uses it for therapy on knees.
  • Marebare74
    Options
    I don't have really bad knees, but when I get into running sometimes they can be sore. I think I find it worse during the winter, tighter joints I guess. I usually work through it and they get stronger. Which likely is not the best thing for you. But the reason i am responding is that I am 7 days in to the thirty day shred and it has been really rough on my knees! You might want to go really easy on all the bending etc. if you are gonna keep at it. Swimming or water aerobic may be a good solution if you have access to a pool.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I do water aerobics and it's a life saver. Very easy on the the knees and a good workout to boot. My ortho has also suggested the elliptical and pilates or yoga. I've done pilates and while it is a challenging work out, it was very easy on my arthritic knee.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    30 DS is notorious for being hard on knees. I'd suggest you consider something else if your knees are hurting before you even start. You don't want to hurt yourself.