1st day & already frustrated

Options
2»

Replies

• Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback so far! I don't know if my parameters are what is normally given b/c my dietitian set it all up for me. I did talk to my Mom (my calming voice of reason!) so I feel a bit better now & have decided on a 4oz grilled chicken breast, sauteed swiss chard & a yam for dinner. It will still put me over slightly in the protein category but I will still have a lot of calories & carbs left over. So I'm still kinda stumped.

For breakfast I had 1 whole egg & 2 egg whites scrambled with some salsa, 2 slices of Trader Joe's Sprouted multi-grain bread & a 1/2 tbsp of earth balance spread.
    Lunch was a big salad with a serving of blue cheese dressing, a turkey sandwich (3 slices) on the TJ's bread with a slice of havarti, tomato slices & alfafa sprouts & a tsp of Spicy brown mustard.

er Jbow, you should be far from frustrated, those foods you have decided on are superb in my opinion. No crap in there.

Just make sure you log everything though. Seriously, very, very good choices!!!
  • Crazy_House
    Options
    See that's another part of my frustration! The dietitian said that based on my food logging before I even saw her, I eat really well. She said my weight issue is probably from a combination of a health issue that makes it easy to gain weight, hard to lose (PCOS) & also from eating too little on some days (1 day she inputted only had me at 1135 calories) so my body thinks it's starving & then other days where I eat too much of the stuff even though it's good stuff.

AAGHAGAHG! Thanks for all the feedback & support. I am committed to change since I am also pre-diabetic & there's no way I want to be full blown type-2 at 35. I just need to not stress too much, I know it will get better!
  • CrystalBonner
    CrystalBonner Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Learning how to eat right is not easy. We know all too well how to eat the wrong things. Do some research and try to find foods that you like, cut down on the quanity of your food intake. Relax, release, relate. But most importantly....HANG IN THERE!
  • branflake5
    Options
    I consider the protein goal my minimum to hit so I always go over and that's okay especially if you are working out. So don't get frustrated it is hard to change your lifestyle and it is not something you are gonna perfect in 1 day so just keep at it and before you know it you will know exactly what you can eat:) This is a great site for support and to keep yourself accountable good luck!
  • mrscollins1112
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing a couple of days ago...I also am new and when I spoke to someone they said to worry about calories first, then once I get that all under control worry about the other stuff as calories are the most important at the start.:) You will do fine friend me we can chat and keep each other motivated:)
  • eksims1
    eksims1 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    At first, it may be easier to only focus on calorie intake and expenditure, rather than the content of food. As you get more used to the changes, then you can look into the details. I do not focus on anything other than calories, and have been successful so far. If you have the iphone app, use the barcode scanner to quickly find foods!!! The app also will break things down into pie charts for you and makes it very easy. I think the app is better than the website in a lot of ways
  • Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    When I first started a healthy eating regimen......I swear I was at the grocery store for about 4 hours just reading labels and such. I will tell you......your brain will retain alot of information and you will eventually just know what you can eat......just give it some time and try not to get discouraged. We ALL go over something during the course of a day......don't sweat it.........add me as a friend if you'd like:bigsmile:
  • ckapes
    ckapes Posts: 31
    Options
    Today is my husband's and my second day. We both went over our protein but we still have carbs and calories left. As one post suggested the calories is what matters most and then the carbs/fats. Remember you have to eat at least the minimum of calories or your body will go into starvation mode. Hang in there. A lot of this is learning what is in each food and portion control. Don't feel like you have to be perfect.
  • GeneaCindy
    GeneaCindy Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I agree w/ another poster, don't worry too much about going over on fat and protein right now. To be honest, I've been using MFP since September and my main goal is still just staying under my calories. If I go over on one thing or another but I'm still under my cals, I don't sweat it.

This^

What I noticed once I started counting the calories was I started to pay more attention to things that would fill me up. I could have 2 applies instead of a small handful of goldfish crackers, for instance. So far, it has been working. I'm down 35 pounds since mid-October. Once I am fitter and closer to my goal weight, I may have to re-evaluate though.

Don't get frustrated! You will find a very supportive community here.
  • dbutorac
    dbutorac Posts: 120
    Options
    I agree, don't worry so much about the proteins & carbs, it is the calories. Once you put what you ate, tomorrow it will be in your "data base" & it will be easier.
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    i just use this as a guideline..i go over my protein every day only because i need it for my workouts ..i do a lot of weight lifting .. the fats im very careful with and always go under even though i do eat healthy fats because i understand the need for them. no way do i allow myself 50g of fat a day though., i dont stick to what this thing says like glue . i figure out the basics and find out what works for me. so far so good
  • kodibear123
    kodibear123 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    First off, hang in there as everything will fall into place as time goes on. The biggest thing is taking the first step and you already did that! We are all here to support each other and that is what is great about MFP :)
  • nkosky
    nkosky Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Don't be frustrated! Look at what your eating, and see what you can change. I always go way over in protein, but protein is what keeps me going all day as a teacher!! If I have carbs, I'm starving! Try to stick to the calories allowed, it takes a few trys, but it will work! This sight is great for support and all the recommendations and support I've received has always been very positive! Try again tomorrow.
  • spoiledbmeg
    Options
    i gain a pound this week but i looked at what i did. Everyday you learn a lesson when u went to class. the next day you try harder to out what u learn into place. just try harder. try instant hot oatmeal low sugar for breakfast, mid morning snack a chobani yogurt lunch fill up a salad with veggie and a non creamy dressing. low fat. mid afternoon a fiber one bar, dinner s enable one. before bed a de caf tea with skim milk one slpenda or a low sugar hot coca. today at my healthy choice life style change group. the nurse who runs it said when eating it like budgeting your check book. also if you don't add exercise. why are u eating healthy. it a team. she showed us how to do simple exercise that does not require the gym. walking around the office hallway a few time after ever hour, if you need to print a document send it to a farther printer on your floor, if going to a meeting on another floor grab the stair ( lunch, coffee runs anything that you would use the lazy way for. if on hold on a phone call do toe touches hope this helps.