Rest Days?!

Options
Hi

I was just wondering how often people have rest days from their workouts.

I've been working out every day this week so far (5 days) and clocked up around 50k running - so thought today I might give my muscles a break!

How often do people take rest days, and what is recommended? I'm pretty new to running and doing lots of cardio, so would be interested to hear peoples thoughts on this!

Replies

• runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Personally, I do a majority of my exercise Mon-Fri.
    Saturday, I do something easy.
    Sunday, I rest.

I need to take weekends off and enjoy them because I hate exercise, and it's the only way I can re-motivate myself to manage another week! :p
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I think how often you take a DOR depends on a number of factors including your workout level, what you're doing for a workout, etc. Doing 50K in a week early into your "running career" seems like an awful lot. Not resting could result in injuries.

Most weeks I run 3-4 days (anywhere from 9-26miles/week depending on my race schedule), walk 5 days/week during work breaks (total of around 10 miles/week), and will periodically fill in with WO videos or other forms of exercise.

This has me resting 1-2 days. I've been running solidly since 2008 (after a brief running hiatus due to pregnancy).
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Hi

I was just wondering how often people have rest days from their workouts.

I've been working out every day this week so far (5 days) and clocked up around 50k running - so thought today I might give my muscles a break!

How often do people take rest days, and what is recommended? I'm pretty new to running and doing lots of cardio, so would be interested to hear peoples thoughts on this!

Wow that's a lot of running!!

I train every other day and every once in a while I will take two days off in a row. Years ago, in my younger days I would train five or six times per week, but nowadays I am getting a bit creaky and need a break (often) lol
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I am a firm believer that your body needs to rest. Over exercising (imagine that) can harm your muscles. If you are running 50K weekly i would say your body needs 2 days of rest weekly. Maybe do something easier on a one of the rest days. Definitely take a full day of rest. Enjoy.
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies :)

I've got a 17k race coming up at the end of Feb... and another in March, so I'm trying to get into training mode! I used to run/swim competitively a while ago so my general fitness isn't too bad.

I don't drive so walk everywhere anyway - but I think I'll definitely take today off and do something anaerobic tomorrow :)
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I workout Monday - Friday. Saturday and Sunday are my rest days.