Being Sick and Exercising. :(

Options
Hello, my wonderful MFPs!

So, I've heard that if you have a cold that's above your chest, exercise is ok. If it's in your chest, no bueno. My cold has moved to my chest (with a nice rumbly, burny occasional cough), so I just did a yoga video ("Iron Yoga") instead of Insanity. I noticed that my heart rate before and after was quite a bit higher than it usually is before/after a workout-- it's usually around 65-70 and today it was around 100-110. My questions are:

1. Am I stupid for still working out? (If so, why? Will I just be sick LONGER now?)
2. Is my HRM reading absolutely incorrect, regarding calories "burned," because my heart rate was raised by "fighting off a cold" (I guess?) instead of cardio?
3. What guidelines do you follow for exercise when you're sick?

Thanks <3

Replies

• smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I just got over a cold and I skipped working out for a few days until the nasty cough went away. I can't do cardio with chest congestion, I would cough the whole time and wheeze and maybe die...or at least thats what I thought might happen. Just a thought, If your lungs are straining from being ill, then maybe if you work out your heart has to work harder to get oxygen throughout your body and it makes your pulse rate increase more than normal. Just a thought
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    See, I go by the fever rule. If I don't have a fever, working out is great. If I have a fever, I don't work out, plus a day or two extra for recovery.
    If I just have a cold, I go with it. Somedays I can workout hard with a light cold and it helps me feel like I'm getting better faster. Otherdays I start to workout and think I'm going to die. I tend to workout very lightly those days, and see what happens.

Get plenty of rest, drink plenty of fluids. Listen to your body.
  • zasiiniya
    zasiiniya Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I have a bad cold right now, and I'm also taking a physical education class at my college - it's just during January so if you miss a day the professor takes a letter grade off (i.e. A down to B). So I went today, and it was hellish. The only good thing was that it cleared up my stuffy nose... but I felt feverish and exhausted while working out, plus my mood just went way down.

I'd say, try to skip it and let your body recover first, unless it's just a light cold.
  • cheshirechic
    cheshirechic Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Great advice so far-- I should just be listening to my body anyway. Thanks <3