Skin breakouts

Options
Ive always had problems with my skin.....last few years its cleared up a fair bit.....but since Ive started working out and eating heathier my face has been spottier than usual!!!

I do the normal cleanse, tone, little bit of moisuriser....have changed from someone who ate hot chips every lunchtime, to eating fruit veg and fish most days.....and shower right after my workout each day, and wash my makeup off at night before bed.

For the first month or so I thought its probably my body just getting rid of toxins etc, but its month 4 now and I still have more spots than normal :(

Will get some skin creams again that I used to use, see if that helps.......................Anyone have any other thoughts or suggestions? Very frustrated :(

Replies

• DoingItNow2012
    DoingItNow2012 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I have no suggestions, but am having the same problem. Was waiting or it o stop, but beginning to think it won't. I'm going to try lemon juice to get rid of the dark spots, because they ake forever to fade on me.
  • rlysrh
    rlysrh Posts: 244
    Options
    The same thing happened to me when i first started with this again in november too. I don't know what the cause was but I made sure to take a towel to the gym to wipe my face with after a sweaty work out and rinsed my face with warm water and used a light moisturizer after the gym too. I also changed my pillow cases more regularly too and all was well. (:

Although my problem was very minor. I usually only get 1 spot every couple of months on my face and I got about 3 or 4 over the course of a couple of weeks before I did these things.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I don't even know. My skin has been breaking out since I was 22, and I can't seem to find anything to help. I'm only posting here hoping someone will have a suggestion that I haven't tried.
  • eksims1
    eksims1 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You're detoxing! Changing bad eating habits to good eating habits will do that for a while. Once your body is full of the good rather than fats and bad stuff and is done releasing it, you will clear up. Also sweating during workouts can do that. I find that i breakout in my hairline when I work out, but I've been using a new pore cleanser (neutrogena naturals pore cleanser) and it works like a charm for me. Hopefully your skin will have some relief after youre finished detoxing a bit.
  • LyneLM
    LyneLM Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Been having acne problems since I was 12; I am now 45, still have them, but I sort of have them under control.

Over the years I have found that one of the culprits, for me, was when I consumed a lot of dairy products. I still have them (not milk though, but yogourt, a bit of cheese) in moderation. When I overdo it, yep, skin breaks out. Of course I still get the monthly break-outs. Religiously daily cleasing (twice a day) with a product for acne prone skin, and putting on a non drying 5% benzoid peroxyde cream daily (even if I do not have a break-out) has helped a lot too. I moisturize everyday with products for acne prone skin.

This is what has worked best for me for the past 20 years.
  • skullkrusher22
    Options
    How's your water intake? Try drinking more water esp since you workout. It helps cleanse the whole body including skin. Might do the trick.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    i am having bad breakouts right now because of winter but coconut oil work great for that problem. I understand that putting oil in your face might be counter productive but it really help. :)
  • daphnemoon
    daphnemoon Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I second the water suggestion - no matter what else is going on/what i am eating etc., it is consistently the only thing that makes a serious difference to my face. I drink approx 3l per day and always use steam room after exercising.
  • sungirl1964
    Options
    I am having the same problem as well. I am 47 and have never had acne in my life. Body detoxing? Never thought of that but it makes good sence! I have been using Burts all natural face mosturizer and I love it. Also try a good toner after you wash your face! Good luck!
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I second the recommendation to try decreasing, or even eliminating, dairy as well as drinking more water. Also, a lot of people overdo the facial cleansing and moisturizing thing, actually making their skin worse. I cleanse with a fairly clean acne soap (as in fewer chemicals than conventional cleansers) only once a day in the shower, then use a washcloth with only warm water to gently cleanse my face once a day. Then I apply pure jojoba oil; I've known other people to use other pure oils. And no, it doesn't make breakouts worse. Sometimes over-cleansing and using oil-free products can cause your skin to produce even more oil, it's trying to find a balance. I don't have perfect skin, but it's better than it used to be. Now I only breakout before my cycle and if I've been touching my face because of leaning on my hand in class. It took about a month of following my routine for my skin to be pretty clear except for those times (of course, I don't eat dairy at all, either).

Here's something you might want to try:
    http://www.theoilcleansingmethod.com/
  • MadDogTannen22
    MadDogTannen22 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have always had problems with acne, but it has really decreased in the past year. It started up when I started working out more about 6 months ago, and since I cleanse twice a day with both a salicilic acid and small% benzoyl peroxide, plus toner, I knew it had to be something else. I attributed it to changing hormones, since I felt better, I know my hormones had changed, but I don't know. After 6 months, it is starting to calm down, as if my body is getting used to it.???

But I did want to share this tip... For a night cream, I use my own mixture:
    In a small jar, I put vitamin E oil (the higher the IU, the better, but any will work), I broke open some capsules of CoQ10 (the ones I bought were powder) and added some lavender flowers for scent. I take a Q-tip and apply it around my eyes before bed. It looks totally greasy, but in the morning, it has all absorbed and my skin where I applied it is so soft! Also, I have not broke out anywhere I applied it, so I know it doesn't cause break outs.
  • MadDogTannen22
    MadDogTannen22 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I second the recommendation to try decreasing, or even eliminating, dairy as well as drinking more water. Also, a lot of people overdo the facial cleansing and moisturizing thing, actually making their skin worse. I cleanse with a fairly clean acne soap (as in fewer chemicals than conventional cleanser) only once a day in the shower, then use a washcloth with warm water to gently cleanse my face once a day. Then I apply pure jojoba oil' I've known other people to use other pure oils. And no, it doesn't make breakouts worse. Sometimes over-cleansing and using oil-free products can cause your skin to produce even more oil, it's trying to find a balance. I don't have perfect skin, but it's better than it used to be. Now I only breakout before my cycle and if I've been touching my face because of leaning on my hand in class. It took about a month of following my routine for my skin to be pretty clear except for those times (of course, I don't eat dairy at all, either).

Here's something you might want to try:
    http://www.theoilcleansingmethod.com/

I agree with this, you don't need to avoid oils, but do avoid harsh alcohols, as they tend to strip your skin and then your body tries to produce more oil!
  • LGOllie
    LGOllie Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I read everyones comments so far and they sound good. I too have the same problem and I think I am just too old for this anymore (53). I finally went to the dermatologist,recently in fact, and she prescribed a face wash that has 10% sodium sulfacetamide and 5% sulfur. It is called Prascion. My sister was prescribed a facewash with a different name, but it has the same ingredients. This has helped my skin a lot and my sister's too. Apparently, you can only get it with a prescription.
  • sheerjay
    sheerjay Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies.

@Antownsend....the skin cream im going to start using again is the benzoyl peroxide one.

@skullkrusher..... I drink 12-16 glasses of water a day so think im ok water wise :smile: