Is anyone else hula hooping for exercise?

Options

Replies

• Cheshire00
    Options
    Not with actual hula hoops, but I have done the hula hoop section on the Wii Fit! LOL

same hahah

I suck at using normal hula hoops but it's fun, I wish I was better at it.

Got any tips OP?

Try out with a weighted hoop made for adults :) I found my first one at Walmart for $19, it's my 2.5lb one. It's great for starting out and you can find it in the exercise department.
  • Cheshire00
    Options
    I hoop a little. Not much room in our tiny apartment though, and once I get my pole up it'll be a hoop obstacle course!

I want to start doing aerial hoop (lyra), but that's another ball of wax entirely.

I've never tried it but I've been told that if you don't have enough room to try hooping while standing on your bed O.o I guess it burns more calories too since you're having to keep your balance. Could be a tad dangerous if you're just starting out though lol
  • Cheshire00
    Options
    Yes, and I love it. I have a 4 lb hoop and it does leave bruises at first. The first couple days are really painful, but you just have to work thru it. I have the smaller ones for your limbs, although I've not tried to do my legs - I'm not that coordinated! I like the fact that I'm working on my core strength - after two kids and bad health habits, I know it's helping get me back to where I need to be.

Yep, I feel you there! I have four kiddos myself so I'm trying to get my stomach tighter so it will hopefully help my back pain. I have some smaller ones that I use for my arms too but I've never tried my legs....I'd probably hurt myself lol
  • Cheshire00
    Options
    I actually plan on picking one up this weekend and I am so excited! I might look at getting a weighted one too... Which weight do you suggest?

My first one that I started out with was 2.5lbs and that worked really well. Weighted ones tend to be a bit easier to keep up if you're starting out :) the only place in store that I've found them is at Walmart though. I bought my 4lb one from sports-hoop.com and then I bought a non-weighted one today from hoopnotica.com and am waiting for that to get here :)
  • Terasome
    Terasome Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    i do the hula on teh Wii and it makes me sore. i have gotten up to 800+ points total after 20 minutes! lol

I do super hula hoop on the wii for 6 mins and can get 1700+ but that is with 5 hoops going at the same time. Dont think i can keep 5 up in real life though. :laugh:
  • thinkpositive3
    thinkpositive3 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm more afraid for my lamps, pictures and windows - I can see them sailing all over the room!! :bigsmile:
    How do you figure your calories burned? I've just gone on what I've found on feedback online and on this site, but not 100% sure I'm right on.
  • Cheshire00
    Options
    I'm more afraid for my lamps, pictures and windows - I can see them sailing all over the room!! :bigsmile:
    How do you figure your calories burned? I've just gone on what I've found on feedback online and on this site, but not 100% sure I'm right on.

I've done a lot of research on this and what I've come up with is that studies that had been done showed that you can burn 6.9 calories per minute with a regular hoop, it also stated that weighted hoops you burn more per minute but it didn't say how many more :\

It also depends on how hard/fast you're hooping as well as if you're standing still or moving around.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I'm just curious if there are any other hoopers on this site? I've picked up hula hooping about three weeks ago and have lost 3" off my waist already. I'm using a couple different weighted ones, a 2.5lb one and a 4lb one. I'm loving it so far! Anyone else? :smile:

Lot of Zumba dance moves in the classes I take remind me of hula hooping. Great exercise!!
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    oh yah! i bought a 5-lb weighted one and do it anywhere from 10-45 minutes. it has helped shave the inches off of my waist AND sculpt in that area SO much!
  • Cheshire00
    Options
    I'm just curious if there are any other hoopers on this site? I've picked up hula hooping about three weeks ago and have lost 3" off my waist already. I'm using a couple different weighted ones, a 2.5lb one and a 4lb one. I'm loving it so far! Anyone else? :smile:

Lot of Zumba dance moves in the classes I take remind me of hula hooping. Great exercise!!

How do you like Zumba? I've heard of it but have no idea what it involves lol. I should look into it, I'm trying to add as many 'fun' exercises as I can to my routine. I get bored of standard stuff like walking and the like :indifferent:
  • Cheshire00
    Options
    oh yah! i bought a 5-lb weighted one and do it anywhere from 10-45 minutes. it has helped shave the inches off of my waist AND sculpt in that area SO much!

Go you! How do you like your 5lb?? I think my 4lb one is as heavy as I'm going to go :tongue:
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I want to get a weighted hula hoop. So far I hula hoop on the wii fit but it's making my knees hurt since I can't move my feet. Hopefully with an actual hoop I will have the ability to move around more and not have the weight so situated on my knees. I hope I can do it though, I remember when I was younger (around 6-11) my mom had bought us a toy hula hoop and I could never get it to stay on my hips, my mom could do it though. That's mainly why I find the wii fit's version fun because for the first time I could actually hula hoop without a problem hehe.
  • thinkpositive3
    thinkpositive3 Posts: 85 Member
    Options

I've done a lot of research on this and what I've come up with is that studies that had been done showed that you can burn 6.9 calories per minute with a regular hoop, it also stated that weighted hoops you burn more per minute but it didn't say how many more :\

It also depends on how hard/fast you're hooping as well as if you're standing still or moving around.

I'm excited to see the feeback from everyone about their hooping and progress. I am like the others that say they find it relaxing. I find it easiest to hoop to a 1/2 hour tv show, esp a comedy - breaks it up in 15 minute segments and keeps my mind off my time goal for the day.

If anyone is considering getting a weighted hoop, do it! Totally worth it! And you will find it just as adicitive as you did when you were a kid!
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Personally, I use a 4lb hoop for about 1-3 hours a day, but I always majorly underestimate the calories because I don't feel like I'm actually getting a workout from it at all.
  • LexieSweetheart
    LexieSweetheart Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    does anyone have a hoopnotica? it is a weighted hula hoop
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    My husbands cousin lost 20 lbs just by hula hooping on a daily basis.
  • RiaLucia
    RiaLucia Posts: 121
    Options
    Hmm, maybe this is my next new venture. Amazingly, I am a bellydancer, and yet I have *never* been able to keep a hula hoop going! It's not like I don't know how to move my body, but I just haven't figured it out. But it looks like fun, and I know the weighted hoops would be *such* a great workout. I'm sure with practice I can eventually figure it out.
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    i have a great friend on here and i call her the hula hoop queen. she loves it and it helps her stay fit.
  • Cheshire00
    Options
    does anyone have a hoopnotica? it is a weighted hula hoop

I just bought a hoopnotica hoop and a dvd, it shipped out today so I'm really anxious for it to get here. Those ones are not as heavy as some though, they're usually 2lbs or less :)
  • Cheshire00
    Options
    My husbands cousin lost 20 lbs just by hula hooping on a daily basis.

Wow! All the more reason for me to keep it up, I love reading success stories about hula hoops :bigsmile: