How many calories does using crutches use? (joke but seriou

Options
I'm kindof kidding with that. ;D I'm tempted to throw on a HRM just to see when I'm crutching it across a parking lot though.

Seriously though, I busted my heel last week. I'm in this cast and on crutches for at least the next three weeks (no weight bearing at all). After that I'm in a boot for a good month or two. I obviously can't walk, I can't do circuit, I can't swim and right now due to pain, I can't even do pilates. I can crawl (I have to to use the stairs) but I'm trying to save my knees as much as possible.

Any tips/tricks/hints on stuff to do while I'm healing would be awesome. I am doing the alphabet exercise with my good ankle to strengthen it up and just trying to keep my bad leg moving in general.

Thanks!!

Replies

• Just_Dot
    Just_Dot Posts: 2,289 Member
    Options
    I've been on crutches...*pauses to count* about a schmillion times in my life. (Okay, 7 separate times in my life...for extended periods of time) Crutching is exhausting! I would love to see how much cals you burn while going to and fro.

You could do leg lifts, crunches...push-ups on your knees (if that doesn't hurt anything.) Sorry you broke your heel! Heal quickly!
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I was just on crutches for 2 weeks and it SUUUUUUUCKED. Using crutches is hard work, seriously I was sweating, out of breath and sore from going a short distance and don't get me started on stairs! I would suggest doing upper body exercises, lift weights, sit ups, maybe some push ups if you can. Also focus a lot on your diet, I found out that I ate less because it was too much work to get to the fridge hahaha! Stay off the leg until it is completely healed and I hope you get better soon!!!
  • sisterlilbunny
    sisterlilbunny Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    LOL I have noticed I'm eating a lot less cause I hate getting up and I also have a heck of a time carting it back with me! Good thing that holds same with smoking. Ohhh, maybe I can stay quit with this darned thing...
  • Just_Dot
    Options
    Seriously, they suck. Try getting up in the middle of the night to bottle feed a 6 month old. Yeah, not fun! :laugh:

How long are you on them?
  • sisterlilbunny
    Options
    Dood you dealt with a kid while on these things? Hats off to you cause I'm in tears just having to shoot our cat! (Diabetic cat, don't worry) Doc said we might be able to look at a cane when I get to the walking cast boot thingy. But at least three more weeks. I'd burn them when I'm done but you never know...
  • Just_Dot
    Options
    Oh yeah.

First ankle big ankle surgery (when I had kids...I had 2 prior) I was a single mom. Little dude was 14 months old, so he could walk, but still...he was a bit needy. My mom stayed with me for a bit and I would go there for a bit, and he was with his dad for a bit, but I was on summer break, so I was home 24-7. That sucked.

The second one, baby girl was 6 months old, and she was still on bottles. Husband was here, but I am a way lighter sleeper and it was easier for me to get up and get her fed (the glider was right next to the crib, I could lift her up, shimmy a few inches to the left, plop down in the chair, and get her fed...than waking up the hibernating bear that is the husband.

I was on them 6 weeks at a time.
  • ZombieSlayer
    ZombieSlayer Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I was on and off crutches from the age of 10 to 16, when I had surgery and then was in a wheel chair for 6 months, then crutches for another 3 months (we'll not mention the 3 months post broken knee cap, fortunately had a husband to deal with the kid). I was pretty svelte there for a bit. :smile:

To answer your question:

How many calories do you burn during Using crutches?
    Calories Burned: 181 calories per hour

Assuming:
    Weight 150 lbs
    Height: 5'6"

http://www.fitday.com/webfit/burned/calories_burned_Using_crutches.html

You would, of course, want to subtract out your non-crutching TDEE.
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Forget pilates! Using crutches works your abs plenty!

You can do a lot of upper body stuff. Do you have weights or access to a gym that you can use? I'd go for that.

I lost 15 pounds in the month I was on crutches, btw. I'm not kidding!
  • sisterlilbunny
    Options
    Holy crap you guys, that's amazing! And I can totally see still losing while on crutches/laid up. LOL Slieber I was wondering bout that because the first morning after using them, my tummy was wondering what the heck was going on. :D

I do have some mixed weights, time to give myself a good upper body review!!