Beer and the scale

Options
Hi all,

I have read several of the posts on alcohol but I am still wondering, why when I have one beer (120 calories) and stay within my calories for the day, I am heavier on the scale the next day? How can I gain 0.2 pounds in a day while staying below my calories for the day? I ran 3.1 miles and had approximately 1500 calories yesterday but weighed more this morning. Would one of you smart folks out there help me?

I enjoy the occasional beer but I am starting to think that I need to avoid them. I was treating myself because I am only 5lbs from my goal weight.

Thanks in advance for your help.
April

Replies

• aprildan
    aprildan Posts: 9
    Options
    Hi all,

I have read several of the posts on alcohol but I am still wondering, why when I have one beer (120 calories) and stay within my calories for the day, I am heavier on the scale the next day? How can I gain 0.2 pounds in a day while staying below my calories for the day? I ran 3.1 miles and had approximately 1500 calories yesterday but weighed more this morning. Would one of you smart folks out there help me?

I enjoy the occasional beer but I am starting to think that I need to avoid them. I was treating myself because I am only 5lbs from my goal weight.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    April
  • pipinana
    pipinana Posts: 2,356 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't blame it on the beer.... Your body fluctuates in weight daily. That's why they tell you to weigh yourself once a week, at the same time/scale. You'll just stress yourself out by weighing everyday and worrying about .2 pounds....

:drinker: away - as long as you don't go over the cals! :laugh: :tongue:
  • aprildan
    aprildan Posts: 9
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I am not that stressed about it but I have seen it happen before. It is pretty typical, have a beer, up goes the scale. There must be something about beer versus other food. The scale will likely read down again tomorrow.

Just trying to figure it out.

April
  • mickie
    mickie Posts: 183
    Options
    In my humble opinion, one or two beers would not make your scale go up, especially if you're staying within your calories. Beer is no different than any other (empty) calories. The scale definitely fluctuates daily and you should only weigh yourself once a week. Go ahead, enjoy your beer!!!
  • khskr1
    khskr1 Posts: 392
    Options
    It really has nothing to do with the amount of calories in beer but the type of calories and how it's metabolized. There are 7 calories per gram in alcohol, 9 grams per calorie in fat. So it's very close. Also, alcohol is a depressant which will have an effect on the physical body, not just mental.
    When alcohol has to metabolize through your liver, it's cuts down the fat burning process up to 73%.

This is just the short answer. There are a ton of articles on the web about the effects of alcohol on the metabolism. I hope some of this helps. Unless it's a special occasion, I would steer clear of the stuff. It can make or break you.

Good luck with your last 5!!