Food for thought: counseling

Options
Posting this in response to a blog I just read: if the option is available to you and you're willing to do it, try talking to a counselor! It can help boost your self-esteem and self-confidence if you are lacking in those areas. You can lose all the weight you want, but you're never going to feel good about yourself if your brain doesn't register your progress! I'm seeing one now and I feel so much better. Take care of yourselves and good luck!

Replies

• JediMaster_intraining
    Options
    I agree. I had a great counselor that was paid for in my college tuition at student services. I didn't go by choice but it helped me get out of the deep depressive rut I was in and helped me learn slowly to stop hating/blaming myself for past issues. Sometimes the truth hurts and we don't want to face things but I don't think I'd be trying to get healthy (mentally and physically) if it wasn't for getting out of denial and working through my emotions. :flowerforyou:
  • silhouettes
    silhouettes Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Wonderful idea if it is available for you.. unfortunally don't have the money to do it myself, but if it helps and works, go for it! :)
  • L2M1D52
    L2M1D52 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    :heart: I'm in the field and love when people advocate counseling.
  • missbis
    missbis Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Just FYI if anyone is looking for counseling on a tight budget with no insurance: Look up places in your area that offer sliding scale fees to people with low(er) incomes. I have access to my university's counseling center, but I used to go to Catholic Charities (note: it's not affiliated with the church). I paid $15 a session to talk to someone for an hour. I didn't have insurance or Medicaid.
  • missbis
    Options

I'm in education, but I've done research on mental illness and how to raise awareness among adolescents and their peers through young adult literature. Hooray for mental health!
  • L2M1D52
    Options
    Just FYI if anyone is looking for counseling on a tight budget with no insurance: Look up places in your area that offer sliding scale fees to people with low(er) incomes. I have access to my university's counseling center, but I used to go to Catholic Charities (note: it's not affiliated with the church). I paid $15 a session to talk to someone for an hour. I didn't have insurance or Medicaid.

Yes, true. Try universities. They may have interns but they are supervised by doctors. I know at my undergrad, they charged as low as 5 dollars and where I did my internship (which was the school I was attending also) we provided clinical services for free.
  • L2M1D52
    Options

I'm in education, but I've done research on mental illness and how to raise awareness among adolescents and their peers through young adult literature. Hooray for mental health!

:drinker:
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I saw a guy who taught me anger management.
    It lowered my blood pressure.
  • missbis
    Options
    I saw a guy who taught me anger management.
    It lowered my blood pressure.

Wow, that's great! I go to manage anxiety, mostly. I always thought the breathing techniques were bull until I tried them...they work! And my counselor was one reason that I started to exercise regularly as well. Working up a sweat DEFINITELY allays anxiety and worry.
  • Pronoiac
    Pronoiac Posts: 304
    Options
    This is very true. Positive change comes form feeling good about wh you are and growing out of old paradigms. Even just having a concerned third party resource who we are comfortable with is invaluable at times. I had a great, trusted woman who was part of my broader medical team.

She joined the Peace Corps. : ( Not because of me. I hope.
  • Pronoiac
    Pronoiac Posts: 304
    Options
    Wow, that's great! I go to manage anxiety, mostly. I always thought the breathing techniques were bull until I tried them...they work! And my counselor was one reason that I started to exercise regularly as well. Working up a sweat DEFINITELY allays anxiety and worry.

Sweat is the hot the new anti-anxiety medication! : ) That is fantastic. Glad you are learning effective tools.
  • Annie4him
    Options
    I hope to find a counsellor. I've been having a hard time lately with compulsive overeating, a lot of it could be anxiety related. Ive got my journal stAnding by tonite but it should be easier not to snack tonite cause I've unfortunately been snacking all day. Thanks for posting such a helpful topic!