Geocachers beware -- I saw this "bomb" detonated yesterday!

Options
Phoenix_Rising
Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
I know there were a lot of people on MFP last summer and fall who geocached. Wanted to share this news article with you, as I saw the "suspicious item" being detonated by the bomb squad yesterday from my perch across the street 11 stores up. (So cool to see, btw.) If you cache, be cautious where you put your items! :laugh:

Fire/Police Briefs:Geocaching shuts down City Hall
A geocaching game gone awry shut down City Hall and Main Street for a while yesterday.

Shortly after 3 p.m., someone reported seeing a suspicious-looking package on the sidewalk at the southwest corner of First and Main streets and called Winston-Salem police.

Police evacuated City Hall, and a one-block area around the building was closed to traffic for about an hour while the bomb squad investigated the box and used a water cannon to destroy it.

Police eventually identified it as a geocache, City Manager Lee Garrity said. He said that the box contained a watch, some wires and other objects.

Geocaching is a high-tech version of a treasure-hunt game, using handheld GPS units. Geocachers post the GPS coordinates on a Web site and offer clues about where the parcels can be found. Caches are usually well hidden.

"It was a good training exercise," Garrity said.

Replies

• Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I know there were a lot of people on MFP last summer and fall who geocached. Wanted to share this news article with you, as I saw the "suspicious item" being detonated by the bomb squad yesterday from my perch across the street 11 stores up. (So cool to see, btw.) If you cache, be cautious where you put your items! :laugh:

Fire/Police Briefs:Geocaching shuts down City Hall
    A geocaching game gone awry shut down City Hall and Main Street for a while yesterday.

Shortly after 3 p.m., someone reported seeing a suspicious-looking package on the sidewalk at the southwest corner of First and Main streets and called Winston-Salem police.

Police evacuated City Hall, and a one-block area around the building was closed to traffic for about an hour while the bomb squad investigated the box and used a water cannon to destroy it.

Police eventually identified it as a geocache, City Manager Lee Garrity said. He said that the box contained a watch, some wires and other objects.

Geocaching is a high-tech version of a treasure-hunt game, using handheld GPS units. Geocachers post the GPS coordinates on a Web site and offer clues about where the parcels can be found. Caches are usually well hidden.

"It was a good training exercise," Garrity said.
  • Leigh14
    Leigh14 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Ohmigoodness. :noway: :laugh:

Glad it was just a geocache item! But, what a weird treasure. :huh: