PCOS Girls

Options
Anyone else here have PCOS?
How do you deal with the weight problems? I exercise regularly and eat pretty well (minus the few off days that we all have) and I am still the exact same size and weight that I was last August/September. It seems that every time I manage to lose a pound or two I skip one workout and it all seems to creep back up.
Figured we could use this board for support and tips!

Replies

• dchienku
    dchienku Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I am not sure why u r not losing weight. I also have PCOS and started this app in Sept. of last year. I have lost 29 lbs. I have really been watching my sugar intake and try to keep it below what is reccommended. I walk everyday..about 5 to 8 miles. I would sugguest u watch ur sugar intake. Sorry, I can not be more helpful!
    Denise
  • mistresseeyore
    mistresseeyore Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Eat a balanced amount of carbs. Mine is 45/30/45/30/45/30. That is three meals/three snacks. Don't go over. That is what my dietitian put me on. I've lost 48 so far. If I vary more than 5 carbs over those, I gain a pound.
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    my pcos never affected my ability to lose weight, except this last 10 lb is hard but it always is

but i also never used it as an excuse, just follow mfp and work out, it will come off
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Another one who is PCOS and never had it affect losing weight.

Where my PCOS affects my weight is that I only need to look at something and I gain. I have to be strict with what I eat. But exercising and eating healthier has had me lost 25kg/56lbs in six months.
  • kleavitt1992
    kleavitt1992 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    i pretend like i dont have it when losing lol and i bust my *kitten* as hard as i possibly can and it comes off. also you prob. have ir along with your pcos so possibly try metformin it will help (i only took it for 7months when they decided i didnt need it anymore)

Edit you should join the pcos support group if you haven't already
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    For me...cutting out carbs really helped...and by carbs..I mean all processed,grains,pasta...you get my drift. And you may also want to have your thyroid checked....
  • swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I have pcos. Like you, I find that I can lose weight but then I literally look at some junk food and gain it all back. I first got this app in October. By thanksgiving I'd lost 11 pounds. I stopped dieting between thanksgiving and christmas, but didn't really go totally crazy and eat everything in sight, and I was still working out. I gained 12 pounds in that time. I guess for me I just have to stick with it! I have heard low carbs can be the way to go if you're not losing with pcos. You also might actually want to ask a dr. since with pcos it isn't always as simple as "calories in, calories out" and your dr. might have some specific suggestions for your specific case.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Sounds like me. I think part of it is also because I don't have much weight to lose anyway. I've only got about 10-20 pounds but missing just one workout and I swear I gain weight. I have to be super strict with working out and eating healthy.

I know low carb is supposed to help but I can't afford that. I can't afford to buy a lot for groceries and right now we have potatoes in abundance (boyfriend grew a garden last year with lots of potatoes) and lots of rice so most of my food is carbs...

I don't have much advice other than to commiserate. PCOS really affects my weight. It never really did before but I was also on the pill. Within a month or two of going off the pill I immediately gained five pounds while still working out 6 days a week and eating healthy. It sucks. Hardcore. :( But I really want to try to get and keep my weight under control while I'm young still so hopefully it's a bit easier to manage later on.
  • chippy83
    chippy83 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    *I posted this in another PCOS thread, but wanted to share here as well.*

I have PCOS and find it extremely difficult to lose weight. I'm currently about 235 pounds, and don't ever remember being below 200. The lowest I got was in 2004, when I got down to 206 pounds after a summer of an active job and daily workouts. My ultimate goal is to to get under 200, and first goal is to get below 230. My body tends to stay in a 5-pound range that I can never seem to get out of despite eating well and exercising... I find if I focus too much, sometimes I don't budge at all or I'll gain. This year, I am focusing on making better choices for myself. For the month of January, I am simply logging my food and exercise in MFP to track what I'm eating and see how that relates to the calorie goal. In February, I will start making more changes to modify my eating. Food is my biggest enemy-- I have problems with portion control, and if left to my own devices to choose a "serving" of something, I inevitably eat twice or more of the amount I'm supposed to. I also love carbs and sugar, and am working on reducing my intake of those while finding acceptable alternatives that leave me feeling satiated. Lastly, I also find that my body needs exercise, and I lose more when I do both cardio and strength. Sometimes my workouts are only 30 minutes on the elliptical (w/ a fair amount of resistance; burns about 400 cals) and 10 minutes of various dumbbell lifts with my arms, but I seem to have better luck when I incorporate strength. I'm also going to look into buying a mini elliptical or stair stepper for home that I can use when I want to watch TV but still move around.

One last note-- My husband & I want to start thinking about having kids in another year or so... I plan to check-in with my gyno at my annual appt in a few months to see if there's anything else I can be doing. The last time I inquired about Metformin, I was told I didn't need it until I wanted to have kids.
  • cloveraz
    cloveraz Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I have crappy PCOS too... I was told by my dietitian that I can have 45% of carbs for breakfast, lunch, and dinner... and for snack time, I have to limit those carbs to 15%, only. Cutting the carbs has helped...

So, I pretty much limit my carbs to a total of 165...So, I use this as my goal and go from there!
  • bijoux2711
    Options
    Lots of cardio and resistance training and choosing good complex carbs has been they key for me.