I've plateaued at 15 ... he's almost at 30 ...

Options
(Sorry men) I hate men right now. My husband has lost twice what I've lost. And he has less to lose than me!! He's able to eat at a greater deficit, because if he eats 200-300 fewer calories, he's still eating 300 calories more than me. He doesn't work out, and he's never hungry.

I work out all the time, I feel like I have to plan every second of my day around food, it makes me think about food more. I know if I ate 100% clean for all my meals that I'd probably lose a little faster, but it's not sustainable. I know this because I've done it in the past, gotten so frustrated at all the negative consequences (there are plenty for me) and gained more ... I went from 160 start weight to almost 210 start weight from this frustration ...

He's now 50 pounds from his goal... I'm 71. And I'm stuck. Any recommendations about what I need to do to change? I stay within my calories (although this week has been hard, as it's spring break and I'm sitting in my backyard writing an appellate brief), I work out at least a couple times a week, usually 4-5, I get my water, I don't overdo it on the sodium (started watching that here - eye opening!), and I don't lie. I hate seeing my projected weight loss at 1.6 pounds per week, when he's shedding 3 per week even when we were on vacation!!

Sorry for the long post ... I'm just frustrated, it makes me want to buy fast food. And then I look at pictures of strapless dresses ... stupid men ...:grumble:

Replies

• kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    (Sorry men) I hate men right now. My husband has lost twice what I've lost. And he has less to lose than me!! He's able to eat at a greater deficit, because if he eats 200-300 fewer calories, he's still eating 300 calories more than me. He doesn't work out, and he's never hungry.

I work out all the time, I feel like I have to plan every second of my day around food, it makes me think about food more. I know if I ate 100% clean for all my meals that I'd probably lose a little faster, but it's not sustainable. I know this because I've done it in the past, gotten so frustrated at all the negative consequences (there are plenty for me) and gained more ... I went from 160 start weight to almost 210 start weight from this frustration ...

He's now 50 pounds from his goal... I'm 71. And I'm stuck. Any recommendations about what I need to do to change? I stay within my calories (although this week has been hard, as it's spring break and I'm sitting in my backyard writing an appellate brief), I work out at least a couple times a week, usually 4-5, I get my water, I don't overdo it on the sodium (started watching that here - eye opening!), and I don't lie. I hate seeing my projected weight loss at 1.6 pounds per week, when he's shedding 3 per week even when we were on vacation!!

Sorry for the long post ... I'm just frustrated, it makes me want to buy fast food. And then I look at pictures of strapless dresses ... stupid men ...:grumble:
  • SHOPPINGDIVA
    Options
    yes girl i can relate! :sad: im kinda going through that.......then...like you i pic myself in a swim suit or shorts......ugh its not coming off fast enough for me! :noway:
  • mickie
    mickie Posts: 183
    Options
    Men ALWAYS lose faster than women! You can't fixate on your husband, he will lose faster than you and probably try less. That's just the way it's gonna be (frustrating, I know). Now, when you say you work out 4-5 times per week, is that cardio and strength training? You should be doing 4-5 days of cardio and 2-3 days of strength training. If you're not strength training, add it in! That's what will get your scale moving again! Also, are you drinking enough water? 8-10 glasses (minimum). Watch your sugar, trans. fat, eat plenty of veg. and fruit and BE HAPPY!:bigsmile: You will get that scale moving again!:bigsmile:
  • mstanley
    mstanley Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I feel like I'm stuck and the weight is just not coming off anymore. It's really frustrating, but don't give up.:drinker:
  • tbcc1234
    tbcc1234 Posts: 5
    Options
    I couldn't agree more with Mickie..My husband is the same way. I have a friend who is a fitness trainer and he has set me up on here. He told me alot of people get stuck..but the trick is add weights..it should boost your metoblism and get things rolling for you again.
  • kristinlough
    Options
    I'm doing *some* strength training, but a lot of my workout is on a horse, and I'm getting back into shape from that. So I'm building a ton of muscle doing that (it's anaerobic and aerobic all at once). I will def. add more weights in and see if that changes things ... I think it's mostly because my husbands little man-boobs are all gone ... sad, I know. I should be happy about the gorgeous body that's unfolding in front of me :smile:

Thanks for the words of support - it means a lot that I'm not the only woman struggling with this!!
  • thejarviclan
    thejarviclan Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are both MFP members and I hate him, too. LOL! He lost like 8 pounds in 2 weeks and it took me 2 MONTHS to lose that much.

Whenever I hit a plateau, I re-vamp and increase my exercise. If you can't put in more time, increase the intensity. That's usually enough to kick me over the edge and back onto the "Losing Side."
  • porka29
    porka29 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I hate mine too!!! :laugh: I've lost 10 and he's lost 16 and has alot more calories to eat than me, to boot!
  • mgullette
    mgullette Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Why is eating clean not sustainable?
  • ness13hill
    ness13hill Posts: 114
    Options
    I hate it too! It seems like men ALWAYS take the weight off faster. Its not fair at all!
  • kristinlough
    Options

Clean is ... 100% clean is not. There are times when I can't prepare every bite that enters my mouth, that's all! :smile:

Silly boys ....
  • porka29
    porka29 Posts: 868 Member
    Options

Clean is ... 100% clean is not. There are times when I can't prepare every bite that enters my mouth, that's all! :smile:

Silly boys ....

Yeah, I certainly should eat alot cleaner than I do, I use up so much sodium on things like fat free cheese, bacon (turkey or regular low sodium) and egg beaters...................:noway: :noway: