Steel Cut Oats

Options

Replies

• Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    The reason we like steel cut oats is that they are not as mushy as regular rolled oats. It does take between 30 and 45 minutes for them to cook, but totally worth it.

I will make a big batch on the weekend and freeze individual servings to throw in the microwave during the week.
  • denise_earheart
    Options
    Cook them in the crockpot overnight or for 6-7 hours during the day. I use 1.5 cups of steel cut oats and six cups of water and throw in some cinnamon and artificial sweetener. I then divide it into small containers and have breakfast for the week.

great idea!!!!!
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Cook them in the crockpot overnight or for 6-7 hours during the day. I use 1.5 cups of steel cut oats and six cups of water and throw in some cinnamon and artificial sweetener. I then divide it into small containers and have breakfast for the week.

^^^^^^ this is a great idea =)

My son and I eat them 4 days/week: 1/2 c oats plus 13oz water in a 1/5qt crock pot for 2 hours on high. I use a hardware store lamp timer to turn them on at 4:30am. I like them with brown sugar and perhaps some nuts.
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    I haven't ever seen steel cut oats in the UK
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I do mine in the microwave for 2.5 minutes, stir, then another minute. Use a huge bowl because they puff up a lot.
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I tried the rice cooker idea, and it boiled over very badly. It was a huge mess. Same with microwaving. I may try the turn it off and let it soak method, like bulgur. That sounds promising.
  • mjsmith1223
    Options
    I prefer the one where you bring the water to a boil, pour the oatmeal in and let the mixture come to boil, turn off the stove and let it sit overnight on the stove. The heat in the water finishes the cooking.
    I do this just before I go to bed and it is ready in the morning.
    You can make one or two cups and save it in the fridge to eat for a few days.

This is what we do. Easy peasy. Get up and the oats are ready. Makes enough for 2-3 days.
  • Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    SAVE
  • andreacord
    Options
    Used to make them at my Mom's sometimes, but I found they didn't keep me as full as regular oatmeal did. I never had to soak them and they came out nice and creamy. :)
  • Nikki881
    Nikki881 Posts: 203
    Options
    Bump
  • Geckokat
    Geckokat Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    We eat them probably 3-4 times a week here. I prep them in the crockpot overnight in a bain marie. You put a casserole inside the crock, and put the oats and water in a ratio of 1:4 in the smaller casserole. Then, you pour maybe two inches of water around the casserole, so in the crock. Shut it and cook it on low from bedtime until early morning and you will have some lovely steel cut oats for breaky.
  • eddyca
    eddyca Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    If you don't soak them then you have to bring the water to a rolling boil, slowly add the the oats while stirring and continue to stir on high heat for a couple of minutes until the oats release a light milky white color and it starts to thicken a little. Then lower the heat to a simmer and stir frequently for 30 mins. Don't walk away from the oats because they will stick to the bottom of the pan! I did it this way and my porridge turned out perfect. Tedious but worth the trouble!
  • cwunderlich
    cwunderlich Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I also cook mine in the crockpot overnight. I had dried cranberries and apricots. I use a crockpot liner so the crockport is easier to clean!! I cook enough for the week and warm in the microwave. :happy:
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I cook a batch in the oven and it makes four or five servings, so I just do it once a week or so.

1 cup oats
    1 cup skim milk
    3 cups water
    1 or 2 tspn butter (optional)
    Cook for about 45 mins in the oven, I stir it once or twice.

This sets in the fridge like polenta so I cut off a chunk, add a splash of hot water and heat in the microwave (then I add peanut butter, apple or banana and cinnamon.
  • eddyca
    eddyca Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I haven't ever seen steel cut oats in the UK

I believe it's called porridge in Europe? This is a very common food item of Ireland so it would have to be available in the UK as well
  • Emmadennewitz
    Emmadennewitz Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I cook steel cut oats on the stove top the night before and just reheat in the morning. I make four servings at a time to save time and store in sealed individual containers in the refrigerator. I cook the oats for thirty minutes on med/low heat.
    My current favorite way to cook them at the moment is:

1 cup oats
    2 cups water
    2 cups pure apple juice "simply apple"
    1 diced apple
    1 cinnamon stick
    1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • RamblinFever
    Options
    I've found that it doesn't help much to cook longer or overnight. I rotate oatmeal with millet & flaxseed for breakfast. All are good.
  • gazz777
    gazz777 Posts: 722
    Options
    Bump .. for when my kitchen license is issued.:laugh:
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options

I am sooooooo all over this. Thanks for the tip.