Family Diet Conflicts

Options
There's some issues in my family regarding what to eat. Here's the problem:
I am slightly anemic. I have been taking multivitamins with (supposedly) 100% DV of iron, but I'm still slightly anemic. I have been told I should eat more red meat. Problem is, I don't like most red meat; I'd take a fish fillet or chicken breast over a steak any day. All my other readings (liver, kidney, cholesterol, sugar) are fine.
Now, my dad loves steak and won't eat fish. The problem with him is that he has high cholesterol and fatty liver enzymes (or something), so his doctor has told him he can't eat anymore red meat or eggs. So what kind of stuff does that leave us to eat as a family that is iron rich for me, but won't make my dad's cholesterol readings worse?

Replies

• bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Egg yolks
    Dark, leafy greens (spinach, collards)
    Dried fruit (prunes, raisins)
    Iron-enriched cereals and grains (check the labels)
    Mollusks (oysters, clams, scallops)
    Turkey or chicken giblets
    Beans, lentils, chick peas and soybeans
    Liver
    Artichokes

Those are all high in iron
    Your dad can eat the egg whites, you can have the yolks. LOL
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I had high cholesterol and was anemic. I have been vegan for two years. My anemia is gone and my cholesterol is down. Many mornings I will make a fruit smoothie and will add 2 tbsp of blackstrap molasses for iron and calcium. I do not take iron supplementation and my vitamins are iron-free.
  • kermiehiho
    kermiehiho Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Egg yolks
    Dark, leafy greens (spinach, collards)
    Dried fruit (prunes, raisins)
    Iron-enriched cereals and grains (check the labels)
    Mollusks (oysters, clams, scallops)
    Turkey or chicken giblets
    Beans, lentils, chick peas and soybeans
    Liver
    Artichokes

Those are all high in iron
    Your dad can eat the egg whites, you can have the yolks. LOL

Darn I guess it is my diet; I prefer the whites over the yolks too. Although I do eat my share of leafy greens and beans...
    Thanks for the list. :)