Avoiding diabetes--anyone else?

Options
Hello, I'm new to this website. I had gestational diabetes with my pregnancy 14 months ago. My grandfather and father are both diabetics so I am at very high risk for developing full-blown diabetes if I stay overweight. I have managed to lose all 45 lbs. of pregnancy weight, plus an additional 3 lbs. by eating a diet similar to the diabetic diet I used during pregnancy. However, I am still guilty of indulging occasionally in chocolate, pizza, and fast food. And I don't mean a little indulgence, but really going overboard. For instance, my favorite treat is Cadbury cream eggs during this time of year. I have eaten 10 of them within the last two days. I need some motivation to help keep me going and reach my goal weight of 140lbs.

Is anyone else doing this to avoid diabetes? I am also at high risk for heart disease.

Replies

• peachesndiesel78
    Options
    Hello, I'm new to this website. I had gestational diabetes with my pregnancy 14 months ago. My grandfather and father are both diabetics so I am at very high risk for developing full-blown diabetes if I stay overweight. I have managed to lose all 45 lbs. of pregnancy weight, plus an additional 3 lbs. by eating a diet similar to the diabetic diet I used during pregnancy. However, I am still guilty of indulging occasionally in chocolate, pizza, and fast food. And I don't mean a little indulgence, but really going overboard. For instance, my favorite treat is Cadbury cream eggs during this time of year. I have eaten 10 of them within the last two days. I need some motivation to help keep me going and reach my goal weight of 140lbs.

Is anyone else doing this to avoid diabetes? I am also at high risk for heart disease.
  • debnu1
    debnu1 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Me two! I had gestational diabetes with my last pregnancy a year ago. I am scared to develop that again, yet alone the chance of developing diabetes for my children and my self in the future. I am going to get down to my goal weight so that I can avoid diabetes with future pregnancies and be a good example for my children who have three of their grandparents with type 2 diabetes. I am worried about the heart too for that matter. I just want to live a long and healthy life without complications and teach my children the same!

BTW, I gained back the 10 lbs I lost during pregnancy and have just gotten below my postpartum weight again--The first 24 hours after I gave birth I ate a whole pan of frosted yummy brownies :embarassed: I am now committed to do what it takes and just not bring the tempting foods in the house, and if I do it is only one package instead of the three or four I would get before.

Good luck, I know you can do it, this site has already helped me and I am excited to see myself at my goal weight!!
  • Leigh14
    Leigh14 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Oh yes. My great grandmother, grandmother and two of my uncles have/had diabetes. None were insulin-dependent except for my great grandmother. But, I want to avoid it at all costs. My grandmother is currently going through some difficulties with hers and is fearing liver damage. Oddly enough, my grandmother has never been extremely overweight. Both of my uncles are, however, and one has a drinking problem and the other smokes. One also has a heart condition they're testing right now.

I never knew my great grandmother, but I know she had to have one of her legs amputated due to her diabetes.

Seeing how diabetes has affected the lives of my family members (whom I'm very close to) really makes me think about how much I do NOT want that.

I know it's hard to give up the indulgence. I struggle with it a lot, especially when it comes to Chinese food. But, when you look at the big picture of your health - not just your weight - skipping that double cheeseburger with fries and a coke is MUCH better than dying from some weight-related disease.

:flowerforyou: Good luck on your journey!!
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    OMG...Cadbury Cream Eggs...and the caramel ones! They're my favorite things EVER! (Besides cheese...) Once you buy them they're impossible to not eat.

My father has a very, VERY bad health history and I'm trying to get myself healthy before I wind up in his shoes, too. Diabetes, high cholesterol, hypertension, heart disease, amongst MANY other things. This site is great for helping me to monitor everything! My worst is the sodium. I like that I can watch my cholesterol (which I've noticed I generally am under 100mg!), fats, carbs, calories. It's important that we take responsibility for ourselves and live a long and healthy life by making the right decisions. BUT I am a firm believer that you have to treat the soul good with a super tasty treat like a burger or a Cadbury egg sometimes, too! All in moderation, right? :wink: