nettles

Options
i just cooked me this corn&nettles soup and it had a big bag of nettles in it but i can't find nettles in the database at all. i've checked nutritiondata.com and the other popular nutrition sites from google but can't find it anywhere. am i the only one who eats nettles? :huh: i know for sure it's full of iron, which is good for anemic girls like me but it must be packed with lotsa other 'goodies' as most greens are, and since i intend to intercorporate more nettles in my menu now that it's in its season, i'd really like to know what it contains.

any ideas?

Replies

• purrrr
    purrrr Posts: 1,073
    Options
    i just cooked me this corn&nettles soup and it had a big bag of nettles in it but i can't find nettles in the database at all. i've checked nutritiondata.com and the other popular nutrition sites from google but can't find it anywhere. am i the only one who eats nettles? :huh: i know for sure it's full of iron, which is good for anemic girls like me but it must be packed with lotsa other 'goodies' as most greens are, and since i intend to intercorporate more nettles in my menu now that it's in its season, i'd really like to know what it contains.

any ideas?
  • mamaof2girls
    mamaof2girls Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I found this on google................you might have to do some conversions, but I hope this helps.

Data for 100 g
    Calorific value 101 kJ
    Calories 24 kcal
    Fat 0 g
    Carbohydrates 6 g
    Protein 0 g
    Dietary fibre ¹
    Alcohol 0 g
  • pipinana
    pipinana Posts: 2,356 Member
    Options
    What are nettles? :noway:

www.thedailyplate.com - if somethings not in MFP, I usually find it there....
  • purrrr
    Options
    how did you find that.. wow, i've had some 25 calories there, i can as well not log it at all :laugh: i meant more the rest of the RDA % values like iron, calcium, manganese, etc, which i believe it contains lots of, but at many sites they don't go into that further detail...
  • purrrr
    Options

this is what i meant: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stinging_nettle

it stings your hands as you try to wash/cut it and it tastes darn good in a cornflour soup :love:
  • pipinana
    pipinana Posts: 2,356 Member
    Options

this is what i meant: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stinging_nettle

it stings your hands as you try to wash/cut it and it tastes darn good in a cornflour soup :love:

Interesting.... Thanks for that - learn something new everyday! :flowerforyou:
  • purrrr
    Options
    Interesting.... Thanks for that - learn something new everyday! :flowerforyou:

well, i live in Bulgaria and I figured it might be just us here that eat this since I can't find it as a food product at any English site (but neither on a Bulgarian site, go figure),

you can get a big bag pumped with nettles for less than 1$ at the stores here and it's like 30 calories worth because leaves are very light :laugh: regardless of that it must be very rich nutritionally so i wanted to know more precisely... i don't take any supplements and watch my intake of everything... yesterday I had like 800% of my RDA of manganese :noway:, I have no idea how I got it that high... I eat very clean but some foods just add up so fast...