Anyone else have this problem?

Options
I've been trying to shop for some new clothes lately, and it seems I'm at an odd "border size". The "plus-size" department only has things that are too big, and the regular ladies' department only has things that are too small. Has anyone else noticed this?? I can't seem to find much of anything that fits right!

Replies

• BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    YES!
    This is me in pants!

In shirts and dresses I am an australian 12 (uk 10) and pants I am a 16 (uk 14) but they either make pants too big or too small no inbetween! So I just wear dresses for now ... kinda annoying though
  • britesideoflife
    britesideoflife Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Yes!!! Me too!! I find it especially in jeans...I wear a UK 12 around my hips but have skinny legs so UK 12s fit around the waist but are baggy around the legs & thighs, but I can't do a size smaller because then they don't fasten. I agree with BeautyFromPai that dresses (Or tunics over leggings) seem to work best at the moment. I am seeing it as incentive to keep working out & logging!!!
  • jaqiswany
    Options
    Ive bought a few different overshirts with ties at the sides at the moment the ties are quite loose but as I lose weight Im hoping I will be able to tie them tighter and pull the shirt in. ( hope im explaining this ok)

Hopefully this will see me over a period of being between sizes
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Yup! There right now. Just having to make do with what I currently own :)
  • Kelleinna
    Kelleinna Posts: 160
    Options
    I can't wear dresses at work.... :cry:

With jeans, the jeans that fit my waist are too baggy in the legs, and the ones that fit my legs won't button. With shirts, my *ahem* huge boobs are the problem... shirts that would otherwise fit (say, a size 16) don't fit over my boobs. Shirts that fit my boobs on top are all baggy at the bottom and it looks like I'm wearing a tent. Grr.
  • nmck55
    nmck55 Posts: 22
    Options
    I have the same problem!! jeans either fit my thighs but then are too big around my waist or fit my waist but way too tight on my thunder thighs! :( they need to make jeans for different body shapes as well as sizes!
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    I can't wear dresses at work.... :cry:

With jeans, the jeans that fit my waist are too baggy in the legs, and the ones that fit my legs won't button. With shirts, my *ahem* huge boobs are the problem... shirts that would otherwise fit (say, a size 16) don't fit over my boobs. Shirts that fit my boobs on top are all baggy at the bottom and it looks like I'm wearing a tent. Grr.

Ohokay I now see the problem.
    For work, I have bought myself just really stretchy pants. (that look professional)
    Shirts aren't so bad for me anymore, but there is hope...
    I have gone from a G to a D :)
    BUT it still looks crazy cos I have such an hourglass figure so what I do is get stretchy shirts. I even found some that look professional, but are SOOO comfy. Look in places like kmart and bestnless :)
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    I have the same problem!! jeans either fit my thighs but then are too big around my waist or fit my waist but way too tight on my thunder thighs! :( they need to make jeans for different body shapes as well as sizes!
  • ninyagwa
    ninyagwa Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I know you're losing weight, so continuing to shop in plus size stores is sometimes a drag when you shouldn't have to. I can tell you that Lane Bryant tends to run larger in the bust area so you may be able to wear their size 14's or 16's in the boob dept. I have smaller than average breasts for a plus size woman and find their shirts to be a bit to baggy in that area. Another good place, which is much more budget friendly is The Avenue, but there sizes tend to run a bit large all around so you'd be right on the edge of being able to shope there.

Jeans and pants, there are several new "right fit" options that go by the shape of your body. Fashion Bug, The Avenue, Lane Bryant, Maurices (more of a junior oriented store...but I like some of their things), there may be some others that I've left out, but I hope some of this information helps!

I have a shopping problem...no matter what size I am...lol
  • Kelleinna
    Kelleinna Posts: 160
    Options
    Most of those places you listed are above budget for what I can afford when it comes to clothing, but I appreciate the ideas. I guess I should just be glad that I'm clearly on my way out of the plus size department, eh? lol
  • jill___
    jill___ Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    When I got stuck in this in between size for a while, I started just wearing cute dresses that were stretchy enough to fit at a larger size, but didn't look awkward when I got smaller.

I think when you're losing weight, dresses and leggings are the way to go because you have room to shrink in them without having to buy a new wardrobe every 6 weeks.
  • jill___
    Options
    Didn't read that you can't wear dresses to work -- go for Jeggings. You can buy them super cheap and if you wear them with a longer sweater or t shirt they look adorable!
  • ninjabarbie
    ninjabarbie Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have a narrow waist, but thicker legs, so my waist is always baggy and my legs are tight. Annoying. Not all clothes can be fixed with a belt either.
  • his_kid1
    his_kid1 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    What about a longish shirt that you can belt? That would fit over the chest, but the belt would pull it in to give you some shape. Or maybe a shirt that has a little more structure, where it comes in at the waist instead of hanging straight down? If you go online and sign up with your email, many of the stores previously mentioned will send out coupons or coupon codes. Pair the coupon with something that is already on sale/clearance, and you can really score. HTH!
  • lkm111
    lkm111 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I was going to post this exact topic yesterday! I had to replace a shirt because it finally wore out. Nothing really fit right, but I did find a couple that would do until I get down to the next size, which should be in the regular department! Good that I found them on sale, too.
  • ninyagwa
    ninyagwa Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it pays to find a decent/cheap seamstress or tailor in your area. You'd have to shop around most likely but you can have even jeans taken in to fit in the right places (I love watching what not to wear! that's where this info came from). So if you do get a good clearance deal or have clothes that are only a little too big or even a thrift shop item you could have it altered to fit you and still keep within budget.
  • dancingnancies
    dancingnancies Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    what about getting some of your clothes tailored so that they fit your properly? it isn't always very expensive to have them take in the waste....just a thought...good luck!
  • jill___
    Options
    Also, there are a few clothing line that JCPenney carries that have jeans that come in "curvy fit"... they're designed for an hourglass shape so you don't get the awkwardness between your waist and your hips/thighs.
  • Karlbarbell
    Options
    Have you seen Barbell Apparel Jeans?! They make jeans for those with muscular legs/butts and they're extremely functional so you never have to worry about ripping your jeans in the crotch ever again. www.BarbellApparel.com!!!!!:smile: