for those with toddlers

Options
How do you fit in a workout??? I had to cancel my gym membership because it would be impossible to go unless I went at 3:30 am and I need my sleep! I work 42 hours a week, 12 hours a day and I have a 14 month old and a sloppy husband so naptimes are usually spent cleaning or attempting to unwind and relax (like right now as I am typing this).

Advice, anyone?

Replies

• peachesndiesel78
    Options
    How do you fit in a workout??? I had to cancel my gym membership because it would be impossible to go unless I went at 3:30 am and I need my sleep! I work 42 hours a week, 12 hours a day and I have a 14 month old and a sloppy husband so naptimes are usually spent cleaning or attempting to unwind and relax (like right now as I am typing this).

Advice, anyone?
  • wilted6orchid
    wilted6orchid Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Well, I workout at naptime, but what are you doing when the kids go down? Or rather how late do they go down. Mine go to bed at 8pm so if I missed out at naptime I could go to the gym at 8 and leave hubby home alone for an hour.
  • paula123
    paula123 Posts: 91
    Options
    I feel your pain!! I was working but recently became a stay at home mom. I have an almost 3 year old daughter who is a busy little girl! My tip is, and I am not sure how your child is but I pop in a aerobic dvd and my daughter will actually "exercise" with me. She actually enjoys "trying" to do the moves as well, it's a great bonding experience for us. Also the gym I go to has a daycare in there that is 4$ a visit, and you can keep your child in there while your working out.
  • krissymlit
    Options
    i found a gym w/ daycare. it's hard at first but spending the $$ on daycare actually helps because i feel like i want to make the most out of my workout and not leave early!
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Get your husband's support! Men are like cats - they only behave badly because we expect them to, therefore tolerate it. :laugh: Let him know how important this is to you, and get HIM to help with kids/cleaning etc. It sounds like you are definitely handling your fair share of the workload. "You-time" is important.

If hubby just won't take the wee ones, let them workout with you. My little man crawls all over me when I do pilates (he thinks its funny that mommy is on the floor) and he runs circles around me when I do my exercise tapes. YES, it is much easier if you can do it after they go to sleep, but sometimes its more fun to have them do it with you. :bigsmile:
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options

Advice, anyone?

I take my kids to the park and run around with them... or i put the baby in the stroller and go for long walks!!! You can also get your kids to work out with you depending on their age... my older kids think it's funny to do push ups, leg lifts and ab workouts with me... and with the baby i put him on my stomach while i do sit ups!! and then i put him on my legs and use him as weights while i do legs lifts ... How old is your little one?
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I walk on my lunchbreak. Usually 3-4 miles and then I get big workouts in on the weekend first thing in the morning.

I found it was impossible to work full time and work out either before or after work when my daughtter was younger. Like you, sleep was very important.
  • littleluvbug
    littleluvbug Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I've incorporated my kids into my workouts, I pack my two year old in a back pack down on the beach and I just steal every minute I can. I take all the kids on a walk, if there is a highschool close to you, they usually have a track and you could take the kids and their little bikes and some toys and have them play in the middle while you do laps. You have to make yourself a priority and that is SO hard for mom's to do. I have a 2, 5 and 7 year old and I've just had to get selfish in some things...and it's OK!!!!
  • mommachag
    mommachag Posts: 318
    Options
    i have a toddler that is home with me and a 4 year old who is home on monday and wednesday. i try to make the cleaning more heavy duty. i vacuume as fast as i can i lift the laundry baskets and do curls as I walk. i get my heart rate up when i clean. even scrubbing my bathroom floor. I put microfiber cloths on my feet and pretend im cross country skiing,:wink: sometimes Ill do it with hand weights too.i use nate as a weight all the time. I will lay on the floor and put him on my legs lift him over and kiss him lift him again and kiss him.he likes to be an airplane so that works out my arms. he loves being bench pressed.
    hope this helps a little
  • Heather125
    Heather125 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    i have a toddler that is home with me and a 4 year old who is home on monday and wednesday. i try to make the cleaning more heavy duty. i vacuume as fast as i can i lift the laundry baskets and do curls as I walk. i get my heart rate up when i clean. even scrubbing my bathroom floor. I put microfiber cloths on my feet and pretend im cross country skiing,:wink: sometimes Ill do it with hand weights too.i use nate as a weight all the time. I will lay on the floor and put him on my legs lift him over and kiss him lift him again and kiss him.he likes to be an airplane so that works out my arms. he loves being bench pressed.
    hope this helps a little

aahh the airplane ride i do that one too Ayden loves it
  • thejarviclan
    thejarviclan Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I learned to clean while they were awake! Why waste naptime on that?! :laugh:

What time do the toddlers wake up? I used to get up early to work-out while they were asleep, especially if you're doing it at home. I also used to drag them all on long walks around the pond across the street. Pushing the stroller burns extra calories!
  • Kimono
    Kimono Posts: 367
    Options
    Everyone had really good ideas. When my boys were little (18 months apart) I used a double jogging stroller every single day. I wore one out and had to get another one. Late at night workouts, nap time work outs, getting them involved in the workout.
  • connieq288
    connieq288 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    I drive my older kids to school and then head on over to the gym which is right behind their school and they have daycare for $2 an hour and so I take my 20 mth old over there with me. My 8 yr old who weighs almost 90 lbs also loves to be bench pressed. Its hard for me to get on the floor at home and do something when my 20 mth old is awake because she thinks its time to crawl all over mommy then.

Connie
  • peachesndiesel78
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the help! Ya'll have some good suggestions.