whats your bmi target

Options
2»

Replies

• dietstokes
    dietstokes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Somewhere around 20. I think it would make a huge difference in my running times. However, I really want to get my bodyfat % down into the athletic range, as I think that overall will have more of an impact than my BMI on race times. So Bodyfat % somehwere between 14 and 18%....closer to 14%.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    My earlier post was to show that bmi is bs as it does not take into account bf%. I would not set a goal based on it.

I've been down to mid bmi range & I was a skinny runt.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    My earlier post was to show that bmi is bs as it does not take into account bf%. I would not set a goal based on it.

I've been down to mid bmi range & I was a skinny runt.

Mid range 'healthy' BMI was 25 pounds ago, and rather ****ty. I'm going for obese, thanks.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    never really considered it. not going to either.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Both of these guys have the same BMI. Is BMI a good metric to use?
    bmi-comparison.jpg
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options

Personally I would be happy with when I feel good but my FS wants me to have it between 20-25 before he will put me on the IVF waiting list.
  • opher
    opher Posts: 19
    Options
    Both of these guys have the same BMI. Is BMI a good metric to use?
    bmi-comparison.jpg

Exactly! BMI has been shown by research to have the lowest predictive power of long term health results of the four main ones used. A far better measure, and as easy to use, is the ratio of height to waist circumference. Anything over 2.0 is good. If you're 5'10", shoot for 35" or less around your waist.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    When I began my journey my BMI was 73.9.... and as of today it is 35.2

Any BMI > Below 18.5 is Underweight
    Any BMI > 18.5 – 24.9 is Normal
    Any BMI > 25.0 – 29.9 is Overweight
    Any BMI > 30.0 and above is Obese
    Any BMI ≥ 35 or 40 is severe obesity
    Any BMI of ≥ 40–44.9 is morbid obesity
    Any BMI of ≥ 45 or 50 is super obesity

So I was off the chart at the beginning and am still considered severely obese.... I don't feel severely obese anymore and I just don't put alot of stock into BMI anymore but if I must target a zone even at my goal weight of 230 lbs. I will be obese!! lol......