Sugar Overload.....HELP!

Options
I eat lots of fruit during the day, and always end up going over on my sugar allowed. Is this ok cause its all natural sugars. I watch so that I dont get alot of sugar from anything else I eat, but if I eat my fruit.....couple bananas an orange and apple....Im over. What to do, what to do?

Replies

• welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Typically 3 servings of fruit is recommended. Sadly, sugar is in just about everything. I'm doing a no sugar challenge for this month and I've had to eliminate so much food. Thankfully, fruit helps with the cravings.
  • auctoritas
    Options
    Switch out one of your fruits with some veggies. Instead of a banana, have an avocado, or some salad, or some broccoli. It'll help you reduce your sugars and give you tons of extra nutrients. :D
  • arlyn70
    arlyn70 Posts: 55
    Options
    my doctor told me to cut bananas.. i was eating a lot of them, mostly with oatmeal..

he told me that i can eat apples, clementines, oranges, strawberries and grapefruit.. all what i want..

maybe is just the banana?
  • cchardt
    cchardt Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    arlyn, that is what my doctor said too. He said as long it was natural sugar in the fruit that was fine. He said don't have like 5 apples and oranges in a day but one here and there. I may have grapes once a week and maybe an apple but not several every day. I add in veggies instead like someone else said.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Why cut the banana? Why do people say that?

I eat a banana everyday! :) Then I'll have a small container of "no sugar added" Del Monte peaches. My sugar gets high too but it's because of the choices like fruit, oatmeal, jelly, skinny cow ice cream.

However, I do buy reduced sugar oatmeal and reduced sugar jelly. I try to keep it as low as possible.
  • arlyn70
    arlyn70 Posts: 55
    Options
    i share what my doctor told me.. everyone is different.. :)
  • carar81
    Options
    Have a look at this link about bananas! They are so good for you... :)

www.uk-muscle.co.uk/.../4497-banana-facts-may-surprise-you.html
  • jfluchere
    jfluchere Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    sugar is sugar it doesnt matter where it comes from. it feeds itself in addiction.
  • TomsFZ1
    TomsFZ1 Posts: 12
    Options
    Doesn't the glycemic index of a food also matter? A slice of white bread isn't sugary, but it has a high glycemic index, which raises your blood sugar and causes a high insulin demand.

I've been avoiding traditional "sweets" for awhile, but lately I've become aware of my high carb intake, which also translates into spikes in blood sugar. Slightly alarmed that all the carbs I've been eating are spiking my blood sugar, even though these foods aren't "sweets".

I have to admit I don't really understand it all yet...maybe I'm getting too caught up in the details and it doesn't matter.