Weight lifting -when to start trying for muscle gain

Options
13»

Replies

• drivermarshy
    Options
    muscle gain can be achieved even with a defisit. last pt assesment i had lost 3kgs of fat and gained 2kgs lean muscle mass - just make good food choices - high protein in every meal

How do you know that you have gained muscle/lost fat? Even with my "fat measuring" scales, it seems hard to get a consistent fat reading. It jumps around wildly from day to day, so I don't trust it. I'd love to know how to get an accurate measurement.

because i had a test done where u have some electrodes attached to u and it takes readings. i have one done every 6 weeks in PT session... the last one was done 2 weeks ago and those were the results
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    because i had a test done where u have some electrodes attached to u and it takes readings. i have one done every 6 weeks in PT session... the last one was done 2 weeks ago and those were the results
    Being very knowlegeble in muscle hypertrophy, a 5lbs gain of muscle with an almost 7lbs loss of fat at the same time doesn't sound likely. It sounds like bio impedance testing and the results are so varying based on fluid levels retained in the body. To gain 5lbs of muscle on calorie SURPLUS in weeks is very hard even if your nutrition, rest, and exercise were spot on.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • drivermarshy
    Options
    calipers also used so the fat loss is bang on, so with a 3kg fat loss but only 1kg real terms weight loss seems machine must be somewhere about right. i am working out at a very high intesity and have been for 8 or so months.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    calipers also used so the fat loss is bang on, so with a 3kg fat loss but only 1kg real terms weight loss seems machine must be somewhere about right. i am working out at a very high intesity and have been for 8 or so months.
    Okay 8 months is different. I was under the assumption you did it in 6 weeks. 5lbs of muscle isn't impossible in 8 months time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Hey.! You've already started building muscle from what you described. DON'T drop the cardio, if you want more bulk move to fewer reps--(6-10) in 3-4 sets. If you want tone try for 10-15 reps of 4 sets.

10624035.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods