Eating Right...

Options
I try to stick to Special K for breakfast, some sort of snack like blueberries, then eggs or salad for lunch, but then mid-afternoon rolls around and I am STARVING! What can I eat that is healthy/low-cal but filling??? Anyone have any ideas? I just feel like I can't stick to the diet...but I feel like I can stick with the exercising, but I don't know if that will be enough...

I do 30 day shred every day and every other day I do weightloss yoga, I also walk with my son in a backpack for about a mile a day, plus we take the dogs out, I play with my son, etc, so I am staying pretty active...but if anything I think it's making me hungrier!!!

Anyone have snacking tips or ideas on how to kill the junk food cravings? Or is it ok to eat chips or chocolate sometimes as long as it's within reason???

Replies

• BrodiesMom
    Options
    I try to stick to Special K for breakfast, some sort of snack like blueberries, then eggs or salad for lunch, but then mid-afternoon rolls around and I am STARVING! What can I eat that is healthy/low-cal but filling??? Anyone have any ideas? I just feel like I can't stick to the diet...but I feel like I can stick with the exercising, but I don't know if that will be enough...

I do 30 day shred every day and every other day I do weightloss yoga, I also walk with my son in a backpack for about a mile a day, plus we take the dogs out, I play with my son, etc, so I am staying pretty active...but if anything I think it's making me hungrier!!!

Anyone have snacking tips or ideas on how to kill the junk food cravings? Or is it ok to eat chips or chocolate sometimes as long as it's within reason???
  • LinzyB24
    LinzyB24 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My FAVORITE snack is an apple with 2 Tablespoons of peanut butter. Its has a lot of calories (285) but it keep me full until dinner. I eat celery with peanut butter sometimes too. I try not to have peanut butter too late in the day though. You can also try the Sugar Free Jell-O Pudding snacks if you want something chocolate. Only 60 calories and REALLY good!
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    I order these:

http://www.dietdirect.com/kays-naturals-protein-chips-snacks.html

all the time. Low in calories & high in protein. :smile:
  • JCassedy
    JCassedy Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If that is all your eating and staying that active, you are not consuming enough calories by mid-day and you should be starving. Try to eat am egg with whole wheat toast and a piece of fruit for breakfast and then a salad with some grilled chicken on top for lunch.. you may see an improvement on appetite. They say if you mix a complete carb with protein and (healthy) sugar you stay fuller longer. Hope this helps. :)
  • Starchaser
    Options
    Have a sandwich. But make it yourself.

2 slices wholemeal bread.
    Rocket or lettuce
    Sliced tomato
    Black pepper
    Some lean meat, like grilled chicken or turkey. Avoid packets of sliced as the curing process adds a lot of salt and potentially harmful nitrates, or so I've read in journals. Maybe grill the night before, leave to cool then slice the next day. Guaranteed if you do that you'd be saving cash on the price of sliced meat anyway.

Store bought sandwiches often have lots of mayo, white bread, high salt or high sugar, so I always avoid them.

That sammich above is around 260ish calories. The wholegrain will release energy slowly keeping you perky for a few hours and the protein will keep your hunger pangs away. Perfect!
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

I wouldnt eat them daily however when you do eat them stick to portions and only eat them once you have your nutrition squared away fro the day .
  • LauraK216
    LauraK216 Posts: 104
    Options
    I agree. It sounds like you might not be eating enough. For breakfast, are you having only a bowl of cereal? I eat Special K a few times a week and always pair it with some fresh fruit, usually canteloupe. I stay fuller much longer when I have a breakfast higher in protein. On my big cardio days, I always have 2 eggs, whole wheat toast, and fruit before I work out. I also like to snack on fresh fruit, cheese and crackers, and Fiber 1 bars. I eat 3 meals a day and have 3 snacks a day as well and I haven't had any problems with really being starved.
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    If you mix a protein and a fiber together as a snack it'll help keep you full longer. You also have to make sure that you eat things that TASTE satisfying to you, too, otherwise your cravings can make you think you're hungry. An apple with peanut butter or some reduced fat cheese and high fiber crackers with a glass of water are good choices. My favorite snack lately (no fiber but my favorite foods) is 28 grams of Armour turkey pepperoni with 1 Laughing Vow light cheese spread on the slices, and a Claussen pickle half. This is just around 100 calories and I look forward to it all day long!
  • meg0112
    meg0112 Posts: 344
    Options
    fruit..vegetables.. these are my staples. Get some baby carrots, radishes, and grape tomatoes in a bag squeeze lemon juice over them and some oregano and cilantro. Leave them to soak in a ziplock bag all day and they'll be soo good by the afternoon. You could also tryregular oatmeal with a tablespoon of peanut butter or make it with Silk Chocoalte (I'm a vegan incase my snacks didn't give that away). Before making the switch though, I liked apples sliced with cheddar cheese. Yummy. And I definately second the peanut butter and celery. You should try humus too, its good on all veggies or even pita chips or bread, comes in tons of flavors or you can make it yourself, and its high protein and keeps you full.
  • pipinana
    pipinana Posts: 2,356 Member
    Options
    I have a Kellogs Fiber One Chocolate Bar w/ Almonds everyday at 2 - holds me over till supper time, and they are DELICIOUS!!!!! Even the DH likes them, although he's worried they will "plug him up" :laugh: